St Leonard's Report 23/01/2020

Portarlington, St Leonards, Queenscliff
Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Re: St Leonard's Report 23/01/2020

Post by Andrews » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:20 am

Thanks everyone for your kind words. A little local knowledge of knowing what under the water around the pier that makes all the difference sometimes. Google Maps satellite is an underutilized reference in my opinion and puts your in the right direction for finding where weed and sand patches lay.

Burley is a batch I made over in SA during the holidays, mix of chicken feed, tuna oil, prawn and crab shells crushed. They’re frozen into golf ball sized singles and are slow release. I've used premade prawn based whiting burley in the past it works as well.

The burley pot is a homemade small 1L bucked weighted by an internal homemade sinker with small holes along the bottom, lid and five along the top. This prevents nuisance fish picking away at the burley and it sits along the bottom allowing the slow release. Sharp pull of the rope pushes the water through and the fine crumbs out onto the bottom.

Aimless
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Aimless » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:00 am

Andrews wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:20 am
Thanks everyone for your kind words. A little local knowledge of knowing what under the water around the pier that makes all the difference sometimes. Google Maps satellite is an underutilized reference in my opinion and puts your in the right direction for finding where weed and sand patches lay.
Love the satellite view - always suss out my spots before going. Only issue is when the sat has caught it at a certain angle or time of day when there's foam or light catching on the water, in which case you can't see anything!

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:26 am

8 squid within 10 minutes that’s some great lb fishing mate.
Nice catch of kgw as well.
Cheers :tu:

Leronzia
Has liked: 23 times

Post by Leronzia » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:52 pm

Damn sounds amazing, terrific write up.
I find no luck with squid. I must be doing something wrong. Appreciate tips :)

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Post by Andrews » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:10 am

Aimless wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:00 am
Andrews wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:20 am
Thanks everyone for your kind words. A little local knowledge of knowing what under the water around the pier that makes all the difference sometimes. Google Maps satellite is an underutilized reference in my opinion and puts you in the right direction for finding where weed and sand patches lay.
Love the satellite view - always suss out my spots before going. Only issue is when the sat has caught it at a certain angle or time of day when there's foam or light catching on the water, in which case you can't see anything!
There is nothing worse than a finding a bumper spot only to check the satellite image and seeing it full of glare! Though, it gives you an excuse to go out scouting the location again.

Squid fishing can be a tricky one sometimes, half the time the squid are undecided themselves if they're interested in a tasty looking squid jig and other times they're on without hesitation. I think that finding the right type of movement in the jig for the environment is key. I fish of a healthy mix of weed, broken reef and sand so I never let my squid jig touch the bottom. With all that cover I used a slow relaxed technique with two rests, one after two smooth flicks and another after reeling in the slack. Here squid concentrate over the weed and often strike before the sand, so I always given the edge between the sand and weed extra focus which is often rewarded.

Keeping track of your successes and failures fishing is also a great way to better understand locations and what factors make great, or poor fishing. We all have our preferences for wind direction, clarity and tides and so the fish. Sometimes you've just got to think like a fish.

Return to “Portarlington to Queenscliff”