St Leonards Pier 5/06/2020

Portarlington, St Leonards, Queenscliff
Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

St Leonards Pier 5/06/2020

Post by Andrews » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:02 pm

Hey Everyone,

It has been a wild couple of months of lockdown, isolation and finally the excitement of finally getting our lines wet again.

St Leonards pier has produced a challenge, the weeks post lockdown many of the usual species disappeared and are only now starting recover to it's regular self. Only caught a single squid since the 22nd, mornings they've caught a few but it's real quiet.

Friday 22/5/2020, Sunny afternoon with light calm S winds, clean rising tide.
Headed out looking for some gars, after 15 minutes of fine burley a school of mixed species and tommy rough turned up and went wild chasing the squid strip of a size #10 long shank with a single split shot. Ten Tommies in ten minutes, kept the largest five and gave away the rest.
tom.jpg
Tuesday 26/05/2020, Light overcast afternoon with light ESE winds, deep green murky low tide.
Burlied for 15 minutes with no luck, until a huge school of kgw (we're talking easily 100+) went straight to my bait, hooked the one and spooked the school. Moved shallower and burlied heavy, school kept moving around and ended up landing another 8. Nothing huge, but a great dinner.
skinny.jpg
4/06/2020, Light sunny afternoon with light SE winds, crystal clear water high tide.
Burley proved a treat, big mixed school of luderick, zebras, wrases and leather jackets were crusing back and forth every 5 minutes. They've been hanging around since the 22nd, exact same school minus the tommies. Only species interested in the unweighted long shanked squid were the leather jackets, ended up pulling out the largest of the school. Luderick didn't want to bite, tried putting some sea lettuce on the end with a ball of the burley and had a couple of light bites. No gars, no tommies.
leathy.jpg
Are luderick any good eating and what bait works best?

Heading out on the low wind Monday, burley up again.
Bread crumbs/garlic powder/tuna oil and water to make a paste, works a charm.

Tight Lines!
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Irishfisherman
Has liked: 237 times

Re: St Leonards Pier 5/06/2020

Post by Irishfisherman » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:22 pm

I’ve heard Luderick are very good eating, but you have to gut them while they’re still fresh otherwise they will be tainted.
Great report.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:38 pm

Yep Luderick are right up there ! caught many in the Tambo river Gippy as a by catch fishing for bream, as good as flatties or whiting if cleaned and iced shortly after landing. ( As you should with all fish ) :tu:
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:24 pm

Good report. 8 kgw is great. I might head there in the next few weeks, there's still 100+ of kgw there (minus 8). Lol.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Post by Andrews » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:10 am

Sounds like luderick is on the menu, I might colect up a handful of fresh sea lettuce, I wonder if they'd take normal lettuce?

Thanks Seb, it was incredible seeing them up close!
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:15 am

Some nice sessions there mate!
Well done.
Cheers 👍🏻

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:26 pm

Andrews wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:10 am
Sounds like luderick is on the menu, I might colect up a handful of fresh sea lettuce, I wonder if they'd take normal lettuce?

Thanks Seb, it was incredible seeing them up close!
If you can get live sand worms you'll do well. In the tambo that's what they seem to go for .... as well as the bream.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Return to “Portarlington to Queenscliff”