Land Based PPB Garfish

Portarlington, St Leonards, Queenscliff
Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Land Based PPB Garfish

Post by Andrews » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:37 am

Hey all,

I'm creating this post to share my experience chasing winter garfish land based and to highlight that we can get some ripper fish without clustering together on piers.

Why garfish? They're a delicious eating fish when prepared right, fight incredible and are easily accessible.

About the species:
Hemiramphidae

Garfish are known for their elongated bodies and long red bottom jaw beak which contain nervous endings that they use to hunt. Their large caudal fish allows them to move quickly through the water and with the beak to become airborne.
They spawn at the beginning of summer and become more active during the winter. Garfish are omnivorous and feed on eelgrass, seaweed and smaller crustaceans like zooplankton. Their pigments will change in colour depending on their diet and they favour shallow coastal area with either scattered, or full weed beds.
gars.jpg
Locations:
Garfish can be found in a diverse range of spots, from local piers to casting from a rockwall or the beach.
Since their diet focuses heavily on eelgrass and the species that call it home, they are often shcool amongst full and scattered eelgrass beds. They favour shallow sheltered areas and can be caught in a range of water depths.
Three images attached, in order St Leonards Pier, Portarlington and my secret spot Clifton Springs.
Screenshot_1.jpg
Screenshot_3.jpg
Screenshot_2.jpg
Behaviour:
Garfish being omnivorous schooling fish will take a range of baits with favorites being silverfish and maggots. These two baits have incredible natural presentation that the garfish find too tempting. They move quickly through the water and often approach the bait multiple times before deciding to take the bait. They will often make wakes in the water as they move and they often jump out of the water and become airborne. Despite spending most their time in the upper water column, they can sometimes be seen sitting at the bottom cruising around.

I have personally found that the denser the eelgrass is, the bigger and chunkier the garfish are. Over broken grass patches in St Leonards and Portarlington the fish have been smaller in size, but more plentiful. Clifton Springs over full weed has produced some monsters in size and I have attached a photo of four chunky gars I caught yesterday in 30cm of water. Image in order, St Leonards and Clifton Springs, Springs.
garsst.jpg
clif.jpg
Screenshot_4.jpg
The rig:
I use a two part clip-on rig which allows me to easily replace either the mono or fluro section.

Starting at the top I run a small swivel connected to 10lb mono which holds the the medium blackfish float and connects to a bottom swivel. This swivel connects to 6lb fluro and has two split shots evenly spaced before a size 10 long shank.
I use a loop to physically stop the float moving at the adjusted depth, longer or shorter mono depending on the location you're fishing.
Photo of the float, swivel and hooks and diagram of the setup.
float.jpg
gear.jpg
Screenshot_6.jpg
Screenshot_6.jpg (14.36 KiB) Viewed 1764 times
They're my tips for chasing down the delicious garfish, hope everyone learns at least something haha.
Happy to answer any questions people have!
Tight Lines!
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Land Based PPB Garfish

Post by Lightningx » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:49 pm

Some great useful info there mate! 😃
I also use a very similar style float to your one!
Cheers 👍🏻

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Post by Kenle » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:12 pm

Awsome info there mate, my first garfish ever caught was off st Kilda pier. There were heaps of old men using 14 ft" poles with line attached to the end and pencil floats. They had maggots n silverfish for bait, absolutely smashing the gars pulling up double headers almost every time. I was only a kid back then and had no float so I fashioned one out of my pair of flip flops I had on and the old fishos were kind enough to give me some size 10 long shank hooks and a small splitshot sinker with a hand full of maggots for bait. I caught 30 gars that day and was hooked onto gars for life. :gj:

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:20 pm

That's a great post.

I'll add that they are a superb livebait for almost any big pelagic species, and can be used as dead baits and retrieved similar ways to retrieving lured.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

ben475
Has liked: 162 times

Post by ben475 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:34 pm

great post. sure to help a few get started, might try it myself oneday.

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:21 am

Great post, good info there. You know your garfish.
I don't usually target garfish, since most I caught in the past were not very big and not the target species for the trip.
I agree that they're tasty as. Good to eat.
Thanks for the info, I might try to target them for the bigger ones.

They can be very mobile too can't they?
I remember one day I went to Blairgowrie for some squid, it was full of big fat garfish one morning in the thousands and yet they're gone in the afternoon.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Pedro

Post by Pedro » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:07 am

Thanks for the informative post. Could be tempted to give garfishing a try.

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Post by Andrews » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:56 pm

Thanks everyone for the kind feedback!

Awesome story Kenle, it's always great to hear people helping each other when fishing! That's how to get then hooked, haha.

I think you're spot on DougieK, I can see why those big pelagics love them!

Thanks Seb! I completely agree, one of those big boys had as much meat of three or four of the smaller ones.
I think if wanting to move around they will, the smaller ones at St Leonards have been there all day for weeks now while the Clifton Springs thumpers were there one day, then 24 hours later gone. I've found that the calm, clear, sunny days have been way more productive than the overcast windy ones.

No worries Pedro!
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Return to “Portarlington to Queenscliff”