Queenscliff Trevalys, Pinkies, Squid, Salmon

Portarlington, St Leonards, Queenscliff
Matthew drako
Has liked: 28 times

Re: Queenscliff Trevalys, Pinkies, Squid, Salmon

Post by Matthew drako » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:52 am

Kenle wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:24 am
Went for a sesh yesterday at queens with my uncle and some friends and we got onto some awsome fish. Trevalys ranged between 30cm - 55cm+, pinkies ranged between 32cm - 46cm, I also got a squid too but ditched the squidding when the fish started firing up, we got few nice salmon along with tommy roughs kept a few for bait released the rest . All fish caught on pilchard cutlets and chicken breast fillets cur into thin strips. Left them biting as we ran out of bait, many others there all landing the same on same bait choices. Rig of choice was a simple double drop rig constructed from 20lb lead, 1/0 gamma octopus hooks and a 4oz snapper sinker to slow down the drift from currents. Alot of fun as it was a fish a cast often 2 fish getting pulled up at once with double drop rig. Hope everyone els are enjoying the freedom of fishing again. Thanks for reading and goodluck everyone :ch: :wt:
what a session mate! just wondering did you get these on the incoming or outgoing tide cheers

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Post by Kenle » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:18 pm

Got them on both, best time would be 2 hrs after each side of the tide. Best run was actually on the low end of the tide.

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Post by e.welch » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:28 am

So is it a good spot to fish or is it where you’ll catch a ton one day then nothing for weeks I might try their

Kenle

Post by Kenle » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:10 am

Atm it's realy good, I went again mid week and got a few nice fish off soft plastic as well as few nice king George whiting on squid strips. Was alot of fun as usual however it is packed to the rafters.

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Post by e.welch » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:30 am

Wow ok which part of the piers best Kenle? Because if I’m going their I want to get something to feed my gramps

Matthew drako
Has liked: 28 times

Post by Matthew drako » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:15 am

Kenle wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:18 pm
Got them on both, best time would be 2 hrs after each side of the tide. Best run was actually on the low end of the tide.
thanks kenle, went there friday and managed about 10 trevs for a feed a couple salmon around 30-35cm and an assortment of other species. bottom of the tide as well. last 2 hours of outgoing fish were on fire then they just died as soon as it started running in.

Kenle

Post by Kenle » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:20 pm

Matthew drako wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:15 am
Kenle wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:18 pm
thanks kenle, went there friday and managed about 10 trevs for a feed a couple salmon around 30-35cm and an assortment of other species. bottom of the tide as well. last 2 hours of outgoing fish were on fire then they just died as soon as it started running in.
Glad you got a good feed mate, so much fun when they're on fire. I wish they allow us to fish off the rock groin just on the other end of the ferry, unfortunately it's prohibited but looked like an amazing spot when I did a recon scout around on foot.

Kenle

Post by Kenle » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:25 pm

e.welch wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:30 am
Wow ok which part of the piers best Kenle? Because if I’m going their I want to get something to feed my gramps
This was not caught off the pier, it's in the harbour. Just walk to the closer end where the ferry is and if you get a small spot there just drop your bait into the man made channel where all the boats go through. The water there is deep and it can run fast but if you time the tide correctly then it will allow you a 2 hr window to fish before the current picks up. Soft plastic is prob the better option since it's packed, you could walk all along there and flick little curl tails or berkley turtle back worms and you'll get some solid fish. Goodluck, all the best and I hope you get a good feed mate :ch:

Return to “Portarlington to Queenscliff”