St Leonard's Calamari Report 25/11/2020

Portarlington, St Leonards, Queenscliff
Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

St Leonard's Calamari Report 25/11/2020

Post by Andrews » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:10 am

Hey Everyone,
Little update on the fishing at St Leonards, as many have heard the pier has been getting hammered with people standing shoulder to shoulder on Friday night and weekends. There may be large number of people, but the increased fishing pressure has been keeping the squid in number relatively low on those peak hours. Plenty of people going hungry.

Snapper has been a bit quiet, despite the water is super clean they're still being caught with fresh squid working well for both the snaps and kgw.

24/11/2020, Light winds swinging from NE, ENE, SE, SSE on a crystal clear run out tide on the setting overcast sun.
IMG_7089.png
Squid #1, smaller hood which has snapper snack written all over it. Gave the head to a friend and within a few minutes the drag was screaming. Should have grabbed a better photo but it was a solid fish. Beautiful blue spots and fins. Tossed the bait out again and hook into a smaller pan size fish.
IMG_7043.JPEG
Squid #2, felt a squid striking the jig from the side, two small whips and on the sink we're on. The olive/rainbow foil has been working amazingly the past few weeks on overcast weather.
IMG_7047.JPEG
Squid #3, current picked up and I noticed the jig wasn't sinking as deep as I'd like it on the last few meters by the pier, I always joke that whenever I get lazy on the actions the squid fire up. Minute later has this thumper on, felt like a snag with the weight before that first pulse and pulling drag. I've noticed that smaller squid will only do one or two pulses, but the bigger ones do four or five in a row. Knew this was a nice one. Measured 35CM, new PB.
IMG_7058.JPEG
IMG_7087.JPEG
Squid #4, casting the same spot a few were following, picked up another nice hood and gave away another 2. Made sure everyone had their feed.
IMG_7065.JPEG
Ended up keeping four squid, gave away another two. Took the fresh heads and wings off and gave them to a few of the locals chasing the snapper before walking down to the beach and cleaning them in the salt water. Been feeding the birds and fish the offcuts making sure there is zero waste and everything is going back into the ecosystem.
IMG_7068.JPEG
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: St Leonard's Calamari Report 25/11/2020

Post by purple5ive » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:56 am

Good on ya mate for helping the others out, may good fishing karma come your way.
cheers

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:19 am

Top report as always mate with some great pics 😃
Cheers 👍🏻

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:03 pm

Great report and photos, again
What I love about your posts is you don't hide anything.
When, where, how, weather, tide ect. Especially useful for us amateurs.
Cheers Gra

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Post by Kenle » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:58 pm

Excellent catch again mate, your killing it there. I might visit st Lenny this weekend, if I see you there then drinks on me ;)

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:18 pm

You've been doing well there :tu:
What squid jig is that? Yamashita?
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Post by Andrews » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:40 am

Thanks Purple5ive, always helps being friendly because you never know when you'll leave a hand landing a monster!

Thanks Lightning! I'm a sucker for taking photos haha!

Thanks Texas! I always enjoy helping other people out, that's how we all become better fishers! A year ago I caught my first squid ever and was hooked, few locals showed me the basics and I'm here passing on that knowledge and experience.

Thanks Kenle, should be a nice weekend! Fridays NE/ESE winds may murky things up a tiny bit for Saturday, but I think the W winds Friday night will keep things clean and a deep green. Overcast will make the water look darker, the darker jigs/rainbow foils have been working well. Sunday is overcast full fresh SSW winds all day, should be really clean, green and overcast. I'll be fishing the high tide run in, probs around 12 lunch time depending on how busy it is. I think the increased pressure has kept the squid quiet while the off-peaks are performing better.

Sure have Sebb! That is the Yamashita Sutte-R, size 3.0 in olive/rainbow foil.
Screenshot_3.jpg
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Return to “Portarlington to Queenscliff”