Portarlington 7th

Portarlington, St Leonards, Queenscliff
Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Portarlington 7th

Post by Nude up » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:45 pm

Hi all after retiring in November I have been a bit crook and have not fished since late November. But this weekend my daughter and grand kids were here and the weather on Sunday was too good to pass.
My grandson has been dying to go out on the boat 930 we set out from point Richards the car park was full cars and trailers parking everywhere.
We drifted a bit caught a few flathead then went to try for squid. My grandson fist cast hooked a squid he was rapped. At 1130 he had had enough so I took him back to the ramp and swapped him for my son.
We decided to load up on flathead for a feed there is 7 of us plus the 3 dogs. We picked up a lot of undersize flathead then my rod with a large squid leg just took off reel screaming I was lucky it didn't rip the rod from the holder.
I was convinced it was a gummy not a ray I could feel it rolling I got it back to the boat then it went aerial which I have never had happen before. it then took off on another massive run. I could see it was a nice fish so I had my son swap the landing net heads for the larger knotted one not the smaller rubber one we use for squid.
I got it back to the boat and led it into the net,great success.
16151714458470.jpg
We headed back around 230pm before the rush I have never seen so many boats out.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Re: Portarlington 7th

Post by dazz999 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:03 pm

Nice feed well done Bud

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:18 pm

Not a bad day on the water mate.
Nice catch!
Cheers 👍🏻

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Post by Andrews » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:34 pm

What an awesome mixed bag, couple of flatty tails, fresh squid and flake! You can't beat that!
Sounds like your grandson had a blast!

You're right about the boats, the roads were packed with people heading back to Melbourne yesterday and today!
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Return to “Portarlington to Queenscliff”