Upper Coliban Reservoir Report

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
Queasy

Re: Upper Coliban Reservoir Report

Post by Queasy » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:48 am

Charles7 wrote: I've got my eyes on the Campaspe, Coliban, Deep Creek and Jacksons Creek but have yet to fish any of them. The Campaspe seems the most likely to my naked eye and looks relatively easy to access, wouldn't mind floating a few worms around there and seeing what strikes.
The Campaspe was ok, used to fish that a bit as it was in walking distance of the farm, and I could fish my way down a tributary to meet up with it. The Coliban was quite good below Malmsbury too. My preference was to flick an unweighted mudeye around, or grasshoppers or crickets - whatever was in season. I found I had to fish very light, else you could see the trout take and spit out the bait.

Muddy

Post by Muddy » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:36 pm

Charles7 wrote:Hit up the Upper Coliban today, fishing from 1:30 to 3:30 in the arvo. Caught a couple of small redfin on the same piece of worm in the first 5 minutes, then it went quiet for the next 2 hours except for the odd bite here and there. Was thinking of hitting up Lauriston after but was too lazy. Was wondering if anyone else fishes the water storages around Kyneton? I've been catching plenty of reddies but curious to know if anyone is taking anything else.
Hi Charles, I have been giving Laureston a concerted effort this month with about 7 sessions, have taken 2 browns, 4 carp and many small redfin a mixture of early morning and late afternoon trying to work it out.
Late afternoon, SP spinning and a worm took the trout.

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:43 pm

I'm heading up there soon for a late afternoon evening session I will post a report Tonight :water:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Charles7
Has liked: 98 times

Post by Charles7 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:16 pm

Gave the Upper Coliban a crack yesterday evening from 4:30pm to 7:15pm. Warm, calm and overcast, the conditions were almost opposite to those I fished in on Boxing Day (hot, windy, sunny). The fishing itself was also quite different, landing 5 redfin (the biggest at 25cm) and 4 carp (the biggest coming in at 43cm and 1kg). All the carp were taken on the bottom on corn (surprise surprise) and the reddies were also taken on the bottom but on worms. A couple of young blokes near me were pulling in carp after carp too, and while landing quite a few between them, had also lost plenty of the buggers as well.

Went again this morning from 10am to 12pm and was very quiet but much to my surprise I landed a nice little rainbow trout that took the rod I had set aside for carp. It was 27cm and while maybe big enough to take home and fry up, I threw it back to fight another day. Aside from the trout I landed one tiny reddie on a dead minnow of some sort that a group of fishermen had left behind earlier. Called it at a day at 12 because it was too quiet and starting to warm up too much for my liking.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:46 pm

Charles7 wrote:Gave the Upper Coliban a crack yesterday evening from 4:30pm to 7:15pm. Warm, calm and overcast, the conditions were almost opposite to those I fished in on Boxing Day (hot, windy, sunny). The fishing itself was also quite different, landing 5 redfin (the biggest at 25cm) and 4 carp (the biggest coming in at 43cm and 1kg). All the carp were taken on the bottom on corn (surprise surprise) and the reddies were also taken on the bottom but on worms. A couple of young blokes near me were pulling in carp after carp too, and while landing quite a few between them, had also lost plenty of the buggers as well.

Went again this morning from 10am to 12pm and was very quiet but much to my surprise I landed a nice little rainbow trout that took the rod I had set aside for carp. It was 27cm and while maybe big enough to take home and fry up, I threw it back to fight another day. Aside from the trout I landed one tiny reddie on a dead minnow of some sort that a group of fishermen had left behind earlier. Called it at a day at 12 because it was too quiet and starting to warm up too much for my liking.
A couple of nice sessions mate :thumbsup:

Charles7

Post by Charles7 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:14 pm

Muddy wrote:
Charles7 wrote:Hit up the Upper Coliban today, fishing from 1:30 to 3:30 in the arvo. Caught a couple of small redfin on the same piece of worm in the first 5 minutes, then it went quiet for the next 2 hours except for the odd bite here and there. Was thinking of hitting up Lauriston after but was too lazy. Was wondering if anyone else fishes the water storages around Kyneton? I've been catching plenty of reddies but curious to know if anyone is taking anything else.
Hi Charles, I have been giving Laureston a concerted effort this month with about 7 sessions, have taken 2 browns, 4 carp and many small redfin a mixture of early morning and late afternoon trying to work it out.
Late afternoon, SP spinning and a worm took the trout.
Yeah late afternoon into evening seems to be a productive time of day.

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:31 pm

Well we went there yesterday afternoon and fished till almost dark. The conditions were very calm with a little rain on and off. Not a great deal was happening only one small reddie on a lure the whole time. I got bored and started turning over a few rocks to see if I could find some yabbies but instead found plenty of worms so we tried a different tactic of worms under a bubble float which I haven't done for years. It worked a treat we landed about a dozen small reddies in an hour or so.
Attachments
lauriston.jpg
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:55 pm

Nice report.
Glad the different tactic worked out for you :thumbsup:

TheNix
Has liked: 33 times

Post by TheNix » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:45 pm

Nice report. I'm going to hit the Upper Coliban tomorrow. It's good to see that some of those Rainbow Trout that were stocked a while back are now at catchable size.

Charles7

Post by Charles7 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:17 pm

Went up to the Upper Coliban Reservoir this morning, fished from 7:20 to about 8:30. Wind was blowing fiercely, knocking my rods down and sending my bucket scuttling around. The bells on the rod I set up for carp rang incessantly over and over from the force of it. Managed 3 small reddies with the bites running hot until around 8. With the fish going cold and desperate to take a dump, I headed over to Lauriston and didn't get so much as a nibble there.

I also spoke to a fellow angler at the Upper Coliban who told me someone had taken a reddie weighing in at 4 pounds last week fishing with yabbies. He said that he had taken 7 trout fishing with mudeye as well. Think I might have to switch up tactics and get stuck into these bigger reddies and trout.

Return to “Other Species”