Upper Coliban Reservoir Report

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
Charles7
Has liked: 98 times

Re: Upper Coliban Reservoir Report

Post by Charles7 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:26 pm

johncollins wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:54 pm
I just recently moved up this way and have been fishing the Upper Coliban Res a bit these last two weeks. Seen people taking carp on corn and heard a guy got a cod from the banks with a yabbie. I’ve had bugger all luck using worms, yabbies and lures. Tried mornings and dusk and middle of the day. Gonna keep trying. Haven’t tried Lauristan yet, maybe I’ll go hit that up. 😫
I'm not a fan of fishing the middle of the day there. If the reservoir isn't fishing well I tend to go down to the Coliban River and catch a few there. Last time I was up there though the river fished poorly while the reservoir fished well. I also noticed that access along the river between Upper Coliban and Lauriston was a lot easier, which may be an option for you. I tend to fish the river between Lauriston and Malmsbury. Unfortunately I don't live up around there anymore so I've only been once this summer but there's plenty to explore.

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:11 pm

If fishing the guts of the day, it is best to soak a few yabbies in the deeper water in hope of a big reddie. Aiming for the ol riverbed, or along the edge of a weed bed is key. Dawn and dusk is yr best time, especially for the trout, considering this is the warmer time of year. The yellas & cod that have been recently stocked would still be far too small to bother targetting just yet. Hope these few tips are helpful...

johncollins
Has liked: 2 times

Post by johncollins » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:38 pm

Thanks folks. I threw a pink tassie devil around at Lauriston Res today near the dam while the kids were playing at the park. There was a bit of weedy patch about 15m off the shore so i was fishing around that. Only had about 20 mins but caught 2 little reddies which went back to grow some more. I drove up near Mamlsbury res through the Lauriston reserve and could see what looked like a great spot for some trout, where the res had receded exposing the old river bed.... gonna try that out friday morning.

TheNix
Has liked: 33 times

Post by TheNix » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:22 pm

I was fishing the Upper Coliban a couple of days back and I heard talk of a Cod caught on Yabbies too. I did see something funny though. There was a school of tiny Redfin crowded around a half submerged log and every now and then the Redfin would go ape-**** and jump out of the water. Something big was definitely spooking them. As for the fishing, it was a very slow morning; three small Redfin and a couple of carp (Redfin in garden worms, carp on corn).

Charles7
Has liked: 98 times

Post by Charles7 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:23 am

I was up at Upper Coliban yesterday and the water was very murky and brown. Cast around a few soft plastics for an hour with no luck. Switched to an earthworm I'd found while mowing the in-laws back lawn and picked up an 18cm reddie as a result. As the worm was still intact I left it on the hook and got another bite but missed the strike. After an hour and a half I packed up and sauntered down to the Coliban River as I like to do when the reservoir is fishing slowly. I found a nice, still pool with relatively clear water and started casting a 2" Z-Man grub in watermelon red and landed 4 reddies between 12 and 20cm in length. I also cast out a cricket on a running sinker rig with my bait rod to see what would happen and landed a small reddie as I was reeling it back in to check if the cricket was still on the hook. All up I caught 6 reddies, 5 in the river and only 1 in the reservoir, none of them of significant size. I don't think I've ever caught a reddie larger than 20cm in the river though so I'm not overly surprised. I'm hoping the water in the reservoir clears up the next time I'm up that way as I love fishing there but it might be time to start stalking the banks of the river instead, there's some lovely country up there and access seems to be easier than it used to be.

oli fishing

Post by oli fishing » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:02 pm

Anyone got any reports on the lakes around Kyneton wondering if it’s worth targeting cod and yellas there?

Irishfisherman
Has liked: 237 times

Post by Irishfisherman » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:18 pm

oli fishing wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:02 pm
Anyone got any reports on the lakes around Kyneton wondering if it’s worth targeting cod and yellas there?
First post of the year! Good stuff oli.

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:23 pm

oli fishing wrote:
I think there was some cod caught in Lauriston couple of weeks ago. Can't remember exactly.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

TheNix
Has liked: 33 times

Post by TheNix » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:59 am

If you are after cod and yellowbelly, I'd keep away from the Malmsbury; it is chockers with carp and roach. Some big trout rising way out though.

Dick83

Post by Dick83 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:50 am

oli fishing wrote:

If You want to travel an extra 30mins. You can hit up Barkers Creek Reservoir around Castlemaine. It was stocked with Yella’s and cod both of which I believe were tagged by fisheries. You even have a chance of winning $$ by catching these fish. If you don’t there’s always the by-catch of reddies you can get. Caught about 12 of the little buggers the other night throwing around a mepps size 2 black fury spinner. I didn’t even need to cast any further than 3 m.

Your also allowed electric power boats on there as well.

Return to “Other Species”