PB Carp on 4-Foot Rod

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
Charles7
Has liked: 98 times

PB Carp on 4-Foot Rod

Post by Charles7 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:05 pm

I managed to get out for a fish today in the warm winter sunshine for what only hours later proved to be my last fish for 6 weeks. I'd had a run of 7 consecutive donuts so I was desperate to smash the drought. I decided on a location not far from home that I hadn't fished since I was 14 and that had, 10 years ago, proven to be a productive little hole for carp. Having scouted the spot yesterday and seeing 10 submarines lolling in the clear still water, I spent last night and this morning plotting my plan of attack. The banks have become overgrown and the water's edge chocked with weeds to the point where the only genuine vantage points to fish from were either perching myself on a fairly large boulder or standing on some exposed rocks in the middle of the stream above the pool I was targeting. With this in mind I committed to fishing with heavier line than usual to prevent any quick bust-ups in a pool that wouldn't be more than 4 metres wide and 10 metres long.

Since I've got 8lb line spooled on my two main rods and I'm still unable to use my 15lb baitcaster in a functioning manner, I intended on going to Anaconda to buy some 20lb line to spool onto one of my handlines. As I was running out the door though, I spotted the little telescopic 4-foot rod that was given to my girlfriend as a Secret Santa present at the last family Christmas party. On closer inspection I realised the line was quite thick, much greater in diameter than my spool of 15lb line. I decided that this little tiddler of a rod was perfect.

I tied a swivel and a Black Magic Circle Hook on and grabbed some corn, bread and worms. Upon arrival I must've counted at least 20 carp swimming about, both of the common and mirror variety. I fished without a sinker at first, relying on the weight of the hook, bait and swivel to cover some ground. I cycled through worms, corn and bread to no avail. I could see them all but they couldn't give a stuff about my bait.

I then tried a float and drifted my baits in the current. Again, no touches. I climbed onto the boulder and settled myself there, switching back to my original unweighted rig and flicking a worm as far as I could. I sat and waited with the bail arm open.

A few minutes later I landed a common that measured 59cm in length and a touch over 2.5kg. This was a new PB for me, shading a 58cm carp I caught in the Yarra back in Feb. After putting his lights out I cast again, wondering if the school might've been spooked by the prolonged fight I'd just had (I had a hard time getting the bugger in the landing net from where I was on the boulder). About 2 minutes later I was on again, battling a second common. This fight didn't last nearly as long but this second carp would become my new PB, measuring 61cm and 3.6kg. Stoked with my progress, I baited up again but this time couldn't even entice a sniff. With 2 smelly carp filling my little Kmart bucket to the brim I called it a day, answering a call from my brother who told me about the curfew and stage 4 restrictions. I guess I'll be waiting 6 weeks before hitting the rest of those carp.
Attachments
PBcarp.jpeg
PBcarp.jpeg (20.55 KiB) Viewed 1035 times
rodbrand.jpg
rodbrand.jpg (11.63 KiB) Viewed 1035 times
rodextended.jpg
rodextended.jpg (17.53 KiB) Viewed 1035 times

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Re: PB Carp on 4-Foot Rod

Post by Boonanza » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:04 pm

Well done on the PB mate :tu:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:15 pm

A most excellent effort mate, well done.
I take it said Carp are now fertilizer.?

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:48 am

Nice report and donut breaker mate

Charles7
Has liked: 98 times

Post by Charles7 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:52 am

CarlG wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:15 pm
My backyard is tiny, just a patio and carport so unfortunately straight in the bin before giving the concrete a hose down.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:04 am

Great write up Charles
New PB's a bonus
Cheers Gra

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:27 pm

Charles7 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:52 am
CarlG wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:15 pm
My backyard is tiny, just a patio and carport so unfortunately straight in the bin before giving the concrete a hose down.
Ah, understandable.
I'm trying to get into the habit of burying all my salmon frames in the garden. Good fertilizer, plus stops the bin stinking during summer.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:04 pm

Always feels good getting a new PB 😃
Congrats! Well done.
Cheers 👍🏻

Return to “Other Species”