lures for trout

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
simon2g

lures for trout

Post by simon2g » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:03 am

well i'll be able to start fishing again soon (currently recovering from surgery on a broken elbow which had metal wires in there and in a splint for a while..) once it comes off i can head off to the water to wet a line. Never fished for trout before so would like to know which lures to invest in and what colors work well etc, i've heard rapala cd-5's work well in rainbow/brown trout colors... read there good in 3'-6' water which would be ideal for most streams/creeks and rivers.. iunless encountered a very deep pool. anyway if you wouldnt mind let us know which lures you like to use for trout specis and how you work the lure.. cheers

Rod Bender

Re: lures for trout

Post by Rod Bender » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:13 am

If you are fishing creeks the 'Floaters' (original) Rapala may be better. Less chance of snagging when they hit the water. The CD's are better if the water is deeper. When you are fishing a deeper hole, just let them sink a bit before you retrieve. They are better for casting with the weight but they don't seem to have as good as action as the floaters. The colors you mention are fine also look at the 'perch' pattern (if there is redfin where you go) and the 'minnow' pattern. I wouldn't get too many lures to start with also.

Whilst I haven't used it the Strike Pro Smelta has a good reputation.

last but not least, Blue Fox Vibrax spinners!
thanks
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Travis
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Travis » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:19 am

Hey mate I fish a small stream for trout and lures that work for me are blue fox vibrax spinners black with red dots mainly, rapala f7 or there's trout lures you can buy from k-mart pretty cheap called tsunami super trout in rainbow pattern that are good value for money or u could bait drift with a small scrub worm and long shank size 8 hook
Attachments
image.jpg
Caught on cheap Kmart lure

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:21 am

ive been trying for trout couple of times in my life and everytime its failed on me LOL! ive tried those tazzie devil ones .. with no luck, maybe i jus suck at it haha
PLENTY!! of FISH!! in the SEA!! but so little TIME!!!

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Post by ChrisD » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:27 am

Tassie Devils are where I have had all my luck, particulary any with pink in them. I take a selection of colours with me and just rotate them through until I hopefully find the colour that works on the day.

simon2g

Post by simon2g » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:00 am

Yeah thanks heaps for the very helpful information guys! Since ill be walking the streams to cover ground i'll be changing my lure often to account for deepness of water and varying colors to see what works. Not a problem however all in a days work out in the beautiful scenery!

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:02 pm

Travis, iv caught a few good trout using those Kmart Super trouts too. The orange and black one was the one I had the best success on. They have a super bream one also that swims a bit deeper. Not bad for cheapies, swim good and catch fish. Like the little Strike pro's too.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:52 pm

Travis wrote:trout lures you can buy from k-mart pretty cheap called tsunami super trout in rainbow pattern that are good value for money
I'm not much of a fresh water fisho but I also have caught both trout and red fin on these tsunami lures in both rainbow and brown trout colours

also have used halco scorpion 35s in golden green ( R26 ) to some success these look like a small reddy
again have caught me both trout and red fin
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

simon2g

Post by simon2g » Wed May 01, 2013 10:00 pm

thanks fellas.. think ill grab myself a few different lures, couple cd5's in browbn/rainbow and fl's and maybe a few vibrax's since i found a deal on ebay 6 for $11... only problem is they're 6.8g in weight, too heavy for streams or ok ?

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Thu May 02, 2013 1:15 am

simon2g wrote:......maybe a few vibrax's since i found a deal on ebay 6 for $11... only problem is they're 6.8g in weight, too heavy for streams or ok ?
The weight is not so much an issue except for the fact that the heavier weight equals a larger size blade! If the current is strong they are not ideal. They are not too bad casting upstream and retrieving rapidly towards you with the current. If you are retrieving them against or across strong current they may have a tendency to break the surface and skip along the top unless retrieved very slowly. Do yourself a favor and make sure you include a Minnow (MN) pattern Rapala in the mix (see link below)
thanks
Jim

http://www.fishing-victoria.com/viewtop ... =88&t=3762" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Return to “Other Species”