Post by Texas » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:31 pm

You'll get there CC, we all have bad days (bender & I) more than most
Looking forward to a "Picasso" arrangement of carp
Cheers Gra

Cornacarpio
Has liked: 16 times

Re: Cornacarpio's Cumulative Carp Culling Caper

Post by Cornacarpio » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:52 pm

Went out to Lilydale Lake today to try and arrest my form slump and resurrect my summer of Carp fishing. A preliminary internet search did inform me that the fishing can be 'notoriously difficult' at Lilydale Lake and that certainly proved to be the case! Didn't get a bite for the whole day, apart from a wayward Eel, which took a liking to corn kernels!

I didn't get a good photo of it, 'cause I had my phone tucked into my footy shorts on a rather hot day, which left a bit of sweat condensation on my camera lens, creating a very 'foggy' photo!

Better than nothing I guess!
Attachments
82858106_168657877734552_7499089598341971968_n.jpg

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:54 pm

Finally broke my 'drought' down at the creek and landed this 60cm+ sucker!

I haven't been to my 'local' section of the creek in Burwood for ages because - a) I haven't caught anything there for a long time and b) they are notoriously finicky in that section of the creek. Yesterday was no exception - I could see them swimming around, but they were seemingly not interested in my bait. My bread was a bit stale and I did have trouble keeping it on the hook, so I tossed a bit in as burley. The Carp didn't seem to have too many reservations about my 'free' offerings. Nothing frustrates a fisherman more than seeing a fish devour your burley but turn their nose up at your bait! I considered going home - fishless - several times, but each time I did, something would happen - like a Carp taking 'my' bread off the surface. As an elderly passer-by told me 'a fisherman's eyes are always hopeful'. Eventually, my rod buckled over and I landed a very healthy 60cm model. No record breaker, but a fun catch nevertheless.

I don't know why I traverse metro Melbourne trying to catch a Carp when I can just hop on my bike for 5 mins!

+1

2019/20: 30 (1741)
Attachments
83600928_10158312867560362_2336322639766749184_o.jpg

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:24 pm

That's one big fat carp!
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:33 pm

Went out to Lilydale on Wednesday to try an catch an elusive Lilydale fish. I started off at the outlet and then tried a few places around the lake itself and didn't get so much as a bite. Once again, the lake was living up to its 'notorious' reputation. During my travels I ran into a kid with a Lilydale Secondary uniform on who was fishing with a handline. After I told him I was just interested in catching Carp, he suggested I should give the creek a go 'near subway'. After about 3 solid hours at the lake, I decided to heed his advice. When I found 'Subway' (the restaurant) and the creek nearby, I thought he was having me on. The creek was very narrow, and I couldn't see the Carp swimming around, as he claimed. I couldn't even find a suitable section to fish, as it is very overgrown. Anyway, about 200m down from Subway, I found a slight opening in the bushes and decided to chuck a line in before I caught the train home. I was there for about 15 minutes and had kind of 'zoned out' before I realised my rod was bending down violently over the reeds. I sprinted (fell) down the bank to try and grab my rod and nearly fell into the creek in the process. I could tell straight away it was a decent sized fish. This all seemed to happen as a Thai man was walking past who couldn't believe it When I eventually landed it, he promptly got me to take a photo of him with my fish! It kind of worked out well though, 'cause I 'lost' my phone in all the commotion and had to use his phone to call mine so I could find it!

It came in at about 68cm and was taken on corn kernals. Put up a great fight as you'd expect from a fish this size. My first one from the Olinda creek! I am eternally grateful for the kid who gave me a very specific location to try - a little bit of local knowledge goes a long way!

+1

2019/20: 31 (1742)
Attachments
83381154_10158322971760362_8087890702219870208_o.jpg

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:23 pm

That’s a beauty! Nice fish :tu:

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Post by Kenle » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:54 pm

Wow that's amazing, one thing I love about fishing is that sometimes when you think it's all over and a donut was comming your way, Boom fish on. Gotta love it, that's why we all keep having that last cast syndrome lol
Awsome adventure you had mate and I can relate to your near fall into the drink experience. Nice fish :gj:

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Post by ChrisD » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:34 am

Well done mate :gj: - I have heard there are fish to be had in the creek,both up and down stream of the lake, but never tried myself.
Lilydale lake is one of those places that has frustrated the best of us. It is a tough lake to get consistent results from.
Fisheries is stocking it more and more, word is they are even considering getting some cod in there, but without significant work being done on the lake itself it will remain a challenge. A few years back it was drained due to blue/green algae, work should have been done on it then. The whole back section needs to be made deeper and snags, etc added. Unfortunately I can't see the council ever undertaking that required works.
Would be nice if the council did clean up along the creek as well and provided more access - rumor has it there are some decent sized redfin and trout lurking as well.

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:10 pm

Yeah, I've been doing some 'research' of Lilydale Lake and have noted several reports that it is a tough place to fish. It's a bit disappointing, as it's a fairly large body of water and has the potential to be a really good fishery, in my opinion. Like you said, it probably needs to be a couple of meters deeper, as from what I've read it's quite shallow and acts more like a flood retarding basin than a genuine lake. It is a nice place to go though and I did enjoy riding around it.

Also ChrisD, you'll be pleased to note, even though my Carp numbers are down this summer, I'm making a concerted effort to fish other places besides Gardiner's Creek!

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:38 pm

Twas a tad hot last night, so I did what any normal person would do and headed down to the local - for a fish. As is usually the case on a hot night, there was Carp everywhere but they were a bit reluctant to take my bait. I noticed several fish swim up to my bait and then promptly swim away when I first arrived, which is never a good sign, but I told myself as hard as it is for a Carp to ignore my bait, it is is even harder for them to resist it. What instinctive animal doesn't like a 'free' feed?

Bread did the damage, suspended under a float. The Carp 'weighed in' at about 60cm.

+1

2019/20: 32 (1743)
Attachments
84542572_193933125323728_4210638752764133376_n.jpg

Return to “Other Species”