Barwon Heads Soft Plastic Session: PB Flathead

Point Lonsdale Pier, Lorne, Barwon Heads, Torquay, Aireys Inlet, Angelsea, Ocean Grove
Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Barwon Heads Soft Plastic Session: PB Flathead

Post by Andrews » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:26 am

Hey everyone,

Seeing as they predicted yesterdays perfect sunny weather, I made the call to head down to Barwon Heads and throw some plastics at the run-in tide.

Conditions we awesome, clear skies full sun at 21C, with a water temp of 13.9C, and a solid sediment 2ft visibility with the classic strong Barwon run-in tide. Here is a few shots of the view.
IMG_2138.JPEG
IMG_2139.JPEG
Seeing as the clarity was the usual brown and with a target of trevally, salmon and flathead, I went with the favourite Zman Slim Swimz 2.5" in a mixed colour, I've mixed a few 'gold fleck' and 'midnight oil' together to bleed producing this transparent fluro yellow fleck paired with a Mustad darter jig head 3.5g 2.0. This colour has been a beauty along the Barwon, the extra vibrancy doesn't go unnoticed.

Started the session just as the tide changed/ slack and started by flicking into the shallows hopping it across the bottom without much luck. Once the current started moving I shifted my focus onto the turbulent water, casting out and letting the jig sink a few feet before a quick retrieve. Thirds cast and we're onto a small salmon!
IMG_2141.jpg
This was great, because I now knew the salmon we're sitting about 9ft under, repeated the sink and retrieve and I managed eight undersize salmon in eight casts, before the school moved on. A couple of blokes next to me were flicking darker plastics and couldn't get a bite, gave them both one of the vibrant yellow and next cast they're on. I reckon the fish struggled to pick the darker colour against the water colour.

By this point the tide was really pushing and using this to my advantage, I decided to cast out on a 45 ahead of the current, give the line slack to freely sink and let the jig head hit the bottom, take up the line and let the current push the plastic across the bottom the whole distance. Six casts in and we manage this beauty of head shake with a good weight. Fishing this was pretty fun, kept the drag light because I was fighting it against the current/cross current. Sigh of relief landing it on the pier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62YqiwWfYlQ
I'm probably the only bloke on the Bellarine with a 4M telescopic fishing net and he leaves it in the car. LMAO

This was a beautiful flathead on the 2.5" Slim Swimz, it measured a PB 55CM and it was a thiccc fish.
A couple of solo shots using my phone + tripod.
88034EFC-0FA1-4309-BBC4-FD1017B6AE1B.JPEG
1D84EC4A-D363-4F5D-9139-0DA8407A6D1E.JPEG
Great way to end a quick session at a new spot, managed my first salmon and flathead on soft plastics and a great size flathead at that!
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Re: Barwon Heads Soft Plastic Session: PB Flathead

Post by Sebb » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:32 am

Nice weather, nice fish. Hard to beat :tu:

Great move to use brighter colour plastic. Which of the slim swimz is that? Space guppy?
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Andrews

Post by Andrews » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:50 pm

Sebb wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:32 am

Great move to use brighter colour plastic. Which of the slim swimz is that? Space guppy?
Thanks Sebb, It's actually not a standard slim swimz colour, I bought some gold flake and accidentally stored them with some midnight oil, the colour bleed turned them a vibrant yellow haha! They look exactly like space guppy, but are a tad more transparent.
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:59 pm

Andrews wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:50 pm
Sebb wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:32 am

Thanks Sebb, It's actually not a standard slim swimz colour, I bought some gold flake and accidentally stored them with some midnight oil, the colour bleed turned them a vibrant yellow haha! They look exactly like space guppy, but are a tad more transparent.
Haha, no wonder it doesn't look like those standard colours.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:00 pm

Having a break from the squid Andrew’s?
Congrats on the PB flattie mate. It’s a beauty!
Cheers 👍🏻

Andrews

Post by Andrews » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:03 am

Lightningx wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:00 pm
Having a break from the squid Andrew’s?
Congrats on the PB flattie mate. It’s a beauty!
Cheers 👍🏻
haha yeah, I may have picked up some more plastics cheap last night space guppy included.

Yeah, taking a break from the squid for the minute. St Leonards pier is either murky, or unfishable with the dredging going on and I've been wanting to diversify the fishing content and experiences. Plans are to chase a few more flatties, salmon, trevs and potentially snapper on plastics and once the weather gets nicer spend some time in the otways chasing trout. Keen as!

Twisted
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Twisted » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:27 pm

Nice work!!!

Andrews

Post by Andrews » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:37 am

Twisted wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:27 pm
Nice work!!!
Thanks mate, keen to get a few more as the weather warms up! Yeew!

Return to “Point Lonsdale to Lorne”