Portland - Lee Breakwall - Late April/Early May

Apollo Bay, Port Campbell, Warnambool, Port Fairy, Portland, Nelson
StarrangerAU
Has liked: 58 times

Portland - Lee Breakwall - Late April/Early May

Post by StarrangerAU » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:34 am

Folks,
Recently I did a run down to Portland during the first week of April for a day+ to try the Lee Break Wall. I enjoyed it and am aiming to return kitted out just slightly differently and maybe try that technique of slide-baiting with live yakkas (or similar) perhaps.

Have been trying to research a bit and have a Q if anyone can help....
Can anyone comment on what the prevalent species is during April/May for the break wall? No point targeting something that just isn't around at the time of year.

FWIW... if weather, rising tide, and sun-up aligns sometime soon I am thinking to do a run down for a Saturday (leaving Friday night). Happy to bring along one other if there is an interest. Feel free to ping a message or a reply. Side note: Its a small car, but can (will) fit the gear...just.

Cheers.
Brett

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Re: Portland - Lee Breakwall - Late April/Early May

Post by DougieK » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:22 am

Hi Brett.

You are bang on the end of Kingfish season and it's extremely difficult to catch tuna land based in Victoria.

If I was at Portland this weekend i'd fish a squid strip 2m under a float (or live yakka) for kings and a pulley rigged bottom bait for snapper.

If you carry a spin rod there is always a chance to pick up some salmon/couta/pike and there is a decent population of squid about 1/4 of the way along on the bay side.

If you're after specific advice on rigs just let us know, a few of us have spent quite a bit of time there.

Or just read this viewtopic.php?f=212&t=14956
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:32 am

DougieK wrote:Hi Brett.

You are bang on the end of Kingfish season and it's extremely difficult to catch tuna land based in Victoria.

If I was at Portland this weekend i'd fish a squid strip 2m under a float (or live yakka) for kings and a pulley rigged bottom bait for snapper.

If you carry a spin rod there is always a chance to pick up some salmon/couta/pike and there is a decent population of squid about 1/4 of the way along on the bay side.

If you're after specific advice on rigs just let us know, a few of us have spent quite a bit of time there.

Wow that thread report is amazing

StarrangerAU

Post by StarrangerAU » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:56 am

==================
Appreciate the reply....
Yep, that thread is what inspired my own venture down to Portland, I wasn't sure if the Kings were still a chance at this time of year. The larger pinkies or snapper would usually be my preference

I had trouble with the whole bait both under the float with the seal pinching it twice and when I tried the whole bait on the bottom that huge ray(s) picked it up and ran with another. Not sure what to do about that other than downsize the bait until they bugger off somewhere else. Lost some decent tackle that day :-(

Thanks for the advice, it will go to good use.
Cheers,
Brett

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:14 am

If you run a pulley rig you can attach a small cork or poly float 15cm from your bait to keep it up off the bottom. I use a 1.5m leader and a little float on big baits, a 6 ounce grapple to pin it to the bottom.

If there are seals around the fishing is usually buggered, nothing you can do about that.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:35 pm

Thread is a great read

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Post by greggo » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:36 pm

If you're interested, there's Jewies to be had at the creek mouth near the wharves. Use fairly light spin gear to throw vibes or paddletail plastics around. The Jewies aren't too big there, mostly around 60-75cm. Good Bream in the creek as well.

StarrangerAU

Post by StarrangerAU » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:02 pm

greggo wrote:If you're interested, there's Jewies to be had at the creek mouth near the wharves. Use fairly light spin gear to throw vibes or paddletail plastics around. The Jewies aren't too big there, mostly around 60-75cm. Good Bream in the creek as well.
===========

Interested?? Most certainly.
I had not read that tidbit about the Jewies and Bream anywhere before, will keep this as a plan B, for when morning excitement on the wall dies off and goes quiet.
Good tip :thumbsup:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:26 pm

That’s an awesome plan b! Great tip :thumbsup:

AE092
Has liked: 5 times

Post by AE092 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:00 pm

If all else fails, I've managed squid from around the boat ramps and pontoons. Size 2-2.5 with a red foil generally gets them

Return to “Apollo Bay to Portland”