Portland - Pt Campbell - Apollo Bay - Fri/Sat 25th Aug

Apollo Bay, Port Campbell, Warnambool, Port Fairy, Portland, Nelson
StarrangerAU
Has liked: 58 times

Portland - Pt Campbell - Apollo Bay - Fri/Sat 25th Aug

Post by StarrangerAU » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:37 pm

After some very ordinary weather these past two months finally things looked like being good and dependable. I had really enjoyed fishing the Portland breakwall 6 months ago, so I was itching to have another go.

Managed to score an early knock off on Friday, and was on the road by 2pm, with a planned stop at Warnambool to pick up the bait, which saw me roll into Portland at 6.30pm. Straight up hit the trawler pier for squid, burnt an hour + here for very little results, So I decided to take a peek in the fish bins at the boat ramp hoping to steal some tuna heads for my berly bag and move around to the breakwall.

And you wouldn't believe it....the breakwall is closed... for maintenance. Bugger me! I just drove flipping 4 hours! So instead of driving out luckily I had my cart with me, so loaded up, left the pizza and beer in the car (couldn't carry evrything!). Could only go halfway along, as the rest of the wall was security gated and patrolled.

It was a perfect night for it, almost zero wind, mild, but not uncomfortable. Berly in, rods go out and wait. First off goes the tiddler, almost bent in half, line peeling off and its a 3ft Port Jackson. The next hour or more is a bunch of tiny coutas at 45cms. Its starts getting slow, and I'm thinking to pack it in and bang goes another rod, and its one more 3ft Jackson. Its midnight, I've had enough. Knowing the maintenence crews will be hailing dirt all along the breakwall my day of relaxing was shot so I decide to move back east to Port Campbell.

This is an intimidating pier, stuck in an alcove, protected from the mamoth southerly swell by a rocky reef just a stones throw away... and this was a calm day. Started fishing here at sun up after a 3 hour kip in the car. Local chap tells me it runs very hot n cold at the pier. Most eventful report I can give is.... I reeled in what I could only describe as a monster, an evil looking hideous eel like creature of about 4 foot... bit of research found it could of been a Cnidoglanis macrocephalus, or common name Cobbler. After being here for 2 hours with nothing else happening I decide to cut my losses and head further east to Apollo Bay.

Stunning day at Apollo, the swell is pushing through the bay quite heavy with the incoming tide...bang out three lines two with size 4 sinkers and the other with size 2. Well the fish were biting, but geez they were tiddlers...hardly bigger than the bait i was cutting up. Aside from the lack of size
They did provide some mild excitement. Could of been worse ways to waste a day.

Head towards home after 2pm. Its been a long 24 hours with not a lot to show for it. Oh well! Its like that sometimes.

Sorry for the length, some folk might not mind the read.
Cheers folks.

Yota
Has liked: 114 times

Re: Portland - Pt Campbell - Apollo Bay - Fri/Sat 25th Aug

Post by Yota » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:52 pm

Nice read, good that there was some fish action to keep you motivated. Must have been better than work anyway :thumbsup:

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:55 pm

Interesting read up.
Bugger about no bog ones but still sounds like you had fun

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:58 pm

Nice report mate.
Sounds like you could not have done too much more trying several different spots.
It’s just how it goes sometimes. Hopefully some more luck for you next time.
Cheers.

CptRk

Post by CptRk » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:03 pm

Great read!
Always interesting getting a glimpse into the ebbs and flow of the journey.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:09 pm

Enjoyed the read
Sorry it was unproductive
Gra

Return to “Apollo Bay to Portland”