Portland with kids

Apollo Bay, Port Campbell, Warnambool, Port Fairy, Portland, Nelson
Tanties
Has liked: 5 times

Portland with kids

Post by Tanties » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:08 pm

Hi everyone,

We’re heading to Portlands with our youngsters (7 & 3 yo) this weekend and planning to do some land based fishing and may be catching pipis.

Just after some advices, hints and tips on where to go to catch pipis & to go fishing & what sort of fish could possibly be caught with what baits & when to go that would be much appreciated.

Recently came back from a last minute / spontaneous trip to Port Albert & Port Welshpool (before realising that there was such a fishing forum like this page) & winged it most of the time. Mr 7 managed to catch some trivally, Australian salmon, baby flatheads, garfish & stingray (but it snapped the line coz little mate was using his armature rod :-D ) off the boat ramps and long jetty with barley, left over KFC nuggets and Australian salmon. It could just be a fluke, full moon or could be the secret recipe-KFC so this trip to Portland we want to plan it better & be armed with better info. Seeing little mate enjoyed his catch and stuff his face with his trivalli at dinner was very fulfilling. :gj:

Thanks

westvic
Has liked: 155 times

Re: Portland with kids

Post by westvic » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:10 am

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:51 am

Cant go wrong with Lee Breakwall. From pinkies, flathead, to kingfish. I'd bring two setups, one gotta be heavier setup for bigger fish.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:50 am

Like Seb said can’t go wrong with the breakwall.
I have a friend who lives in Portland and fishes that breakwall almost everyday. He’s been catching big snappers, salmons, pinkies, whitings, everything lol said a tuna was even landed the other day from the breakwall! Kingies as well 😊

Tanties

Post by Tanties » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:38 am

westvic wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:10 am
Good place to start......https://www.visitportland.com.au/fishing/
Thank you so much.

Tanties

Post by Tanties » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:41 am

Sebb wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:51 am
Cant go wrong with Lee Breakwall. From pinkies, flathead, to kingfish. I'd bring two setups, one gotta be heavier setup for bigger fish.
Thanks alot. Sounds great. Two setups it is.
Any particular baits that you can recommend?

Tanties

Post by Tanties » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:44 am

Lightningx wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:50 am
Like Seb said can’t go wrong with the breakwall.
I have a friend who lives in Portland and fishes that breakwall almost everyday. He’s been catching big snappers, salmons, pinkies, whitings, everything lol said a tuna was even landed the other day from the breakwall! Kingies as well 😊
:bn: Sounds promising :ft:
We’d be stoked with any fish really 😂

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:26 pm

Tanties wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:41 am
Sebb wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:51 am
Thanks alot. Sounds great. Two setups it is.
Any particular baits that you can recommend?
Depends what you after.
On the lighter outfit I'd put pilchard, pipis, squid strip, or chicken breast.
On the heavier outfit, I'd put whole pilchard, squid head, whole whiting. Fresh is best.
And if you landed like a whiting or mackerel or aussie salmon, throw them out as a live bait with 6/0 hook or something. You never know!
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

canned_tuna
Has liked: 15 times

Post by canned_tuna » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:58 pm

I hope you enjoy your stay in Portland. This is how I see your trip panning out. Take the littlies to the end of the new pier on the right hand side with chicken for bait and they will have a ball on the small pinkies, whiting flathead etc.. Then when its bedtime for them, you head to the breakwall and fish by yourself as its a nightmare to fish with young children as there are cars going past every 5 seconds, is very difficult to walk on the rocks, and down right dangerous for youngsters. At the moment, squid under a float towards the end if you can get a spot and you will be a chance for a kingy. Good luck

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:07 am

If I was fishing lee breakwall (having never done it before) I’d run a paternoster whiting style setup with some hardy baits. Like squid or even prawn pieces.

I’d run a second rod with a jagged silver whiting under a float to try and get some squid.

I’d have a third heavier rod setup to livebait any squid caught with the intention to catch kings.

Then maybe have a 4th rod with a squid jig on it and cast it out for the kids to retrieve to put off any boredom that comes from sitting and waiting.

Return to “Apollo Bay to Portland”