Rough day at Gunnamatta

Aimless
Has liked: 15 times

Rough day at Gunnamatta

Post by Aimless » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:17 am

Hey fellas,

I just made my intro post last week saying I loved fishing again after a radical session on the Salmon out at Cape Bridgewater.

Well, I looked closer to home this weekend, dragged myself out of a cosy bed on Sunday morning, and headed to Gunnamatta with the wife. I hate fishing again!

What was initially a N wind on the forecast turned into a strong WNW or something like that. 40+ km/h. Only chance I had to go anyway so I figured I would check it out. Unbelievable, what a wild beach!

I was really underprepared to be honest, only my 6' travel rod (haven't had a chance to pick up a surf rod or fix up the old broken one I've got) and one 40g lure, so it's my own fault. The swell and drop off was so bad I was too worried to get anywhere in the water with my waders. And the wind was so strong, running completely parallel to the beach, even my big lure would just get blown sideways down the beach instead of into the water. So it was a total wash.

There was 5 - 6 guys out there with big rigs but they weren't catching either. Wife went for a walk down the beach so I went to get her and then struggled walking back through the wind. We stopped at Rye Pier for a quick go (I hadn't tried there before) but noone was catching there either - well past the tide turn by then.

So donuts on the fish front. Luckily I have multiple interests down Mornington, and stopped by a favourite Pine Mushroom picking spot which was still producing this late into the season. Cooked them up on toast back home for a late lunch, and then in a gravy for Sunday roast! Ain't all bad!

Next week I am gonna try some inland fishing at some of the reservoirs near Mt Macedon that have been suggested. Trout please!

Cheers!

GusG
Has liked: 41 times

Re: Rough day at Gunnamatta

Post by GusG » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:49 am

At least you got out and gave it a go, better luck next time

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:37 am

Gunnamatta is a trap for many, the weather must be scrutinized closely before planning a trip there, If you get it right the rewards are high. :thumbsup:
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

StarrangerAU
Has liked: 58 times

Post by StarrangerAU » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:45 pm

Yeah.. as Hornet says.. Gunnamatta needs careful prep, its a long way to go for to find its blown out. but kudos to you for making the drive and giving it a go when plenty of others didn't.
Aimless wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:17 am
..... and stopped by a favourite Pine Mushroom picking spot which was still producing this late into the season.
so now... tell us about this pine mushroom spot... :-)

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:42 pm

You gave it a crack mate!
That pine mushroom picking spot doesn’t sound too bad at all :)
Hope you have some more luck on your next outing.
Cheers :thumbsup:

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:13 pm

Great that you got out of your cosy bed and went fishing with the wife :thumbsup: instead of going from the bed to the couch.

The rest is an adventure, well done :a_goodjob:

Um , , , , did someone say , , , , mushrooms mmmm :super:

Cheers, getting my tastebuds ready, Bugatti

Aimless
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Aimless » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:01 pm

Thanks for the encouragement all! Worth a shot anyway, I know now, with my own eyes, what it's like with the wind up! Once I have a surf rod and replace the lure I lost I might take a look on a calmer day.

Next weekend, I am thinking of Moorabool Reservoir for some inland fishing, recommended on this forum. Any other ideas around the Mt Macedon area? I will just be fishing off the banks, stinging to catch a trout!

As for the mushroom spot, I'm being greedy with that one, as it's really my one good spot down Mornington way. Check out the forested park near Red Gum BBQ in Red Hill though, last season I did pretty well there as there's a few pine trees. But I think it's a bit late now. The Red Hill Rail Trail looks like it would deliver too, I did it earlier in the year and remember thinking it'd be a great foraging spot as it's covered in pines and the right condition.

Fried up with garlic and butter on toast, livin!

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:16 pm

Good on ya for trying

fooie69

Post by fooie69 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:23 pm

Hey. The bed to the couch is still excerse.lol

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:18 pm

fooie69 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:23 pm
Hey. The bed to the couch is still excerse.lol
I have even moved the fridge to the other side of the kitchen to get an extra 4m in my "exercise regime" :-D

Return to “Gunnamatta Beach and The Back Beaches”