Coronet Bay/Tenby Point 5/11

Warneet, Tooradin, Grantville, Stockyard Point, Lang Lang, Grantville, Koo Wee Rup Corinella, Coronet Bay, San Remo
4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Coronet Bay/Tenby Point 5/11

Post by 4liters » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:28 am

I decided to brave the weather and went out for a fish yesterday. I hadn't been to Coronet Bay before but had heard good things and wanted to check it out. Nice easy launch at high tide, but within an hour of launching the skies opened and I quickly got soaked. The pickers were out in force and they were demolishing my squid heads in record time. Giving up on the snapper rods for a while I worked out a pretty effective method of catching the LJs, a running sinker with a very small longshank hook cast out and slowly retrieved across the bottom. It didn't take long before I had a handful of them in the esky. I noticed the pickers went away when I was using LJ as bait.

Around midday the rain finally blew over, the sun came out and the bay glassed out. I spent a little while drifting and sight casting at fish, and ended up with a few more LJs and 3 bait size silver trevally. Even the little trevs go hard. The nice weather lasted about an hour, then the wind picked up and was coming from the west this time which made it pretty choppy. Around this time I noticed some dolphins had come into the area which was cool. Pain in the ass to get a photo of them because you never know where they're about to come up.
Around 3pm I headed back to shore as it was getting rough, the rain had started again and I needed to take a ****. The rain didn't last long and the wind died down again so I relaunched and headed for deeper water, but I'd just got to the 5m mark when a thunderstorm developed nearby so I turned around and hightailed it back to shore.

I decided enough was enough, I'd caught 9 leatherjackets and 3 trevally which would keep me in bait for a while so I packed everything up and headed home. On the way I passed the turnoff to Tenby Point, a place I'd thought about fishing landbased if a strong southerly wind kept me off the water. I walked around to the ruined pier, and the weather was so nice I decided to launch the yak again and fish until sunset. Turned out to be a pretty good idea.
Perfect weather, and one of the more beautiful bits of coastline I've visited. I anchored up in a hole in the Tenby Channel not far from shore. It glassed out and the fish started biting.
Didn't get any keepers but it was a lot of fun. Gummy number 1:
Gummy number 2:
Didn't get a picture of gummy number 3 because it broke free of my grip as I was getting the phone out. It was dead quiet, the only sound came from the trucks on the highway through Grantville, and the sound of heaps of fish hitting the surface. I regretted not bringing a light rod and a metal slug because I'm pretty sure they were sambos.
I headed back in just on sunset.
The path back up to the road was a pain in the ass but manageable. I'd love to get back to Coronet Bay again, hopefully with someone who knows the area because I had no idea where to go and was just guessing.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Fishsniper

Re: Coronet Bay/Tenby Point 5/11

Post by Fishsniper » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:52 am

What a great looking tranquil place that looks like, nice report

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:03 pm

Looks like a very nice place and a great place to fish.
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:17 pm

Yeah, it was a magical afternoon/evening.

I forgot to give Vodafone a dishonorable mention for having **** (i.e. none) reception so I couldn't see the storms approaching on the BoM radar resulting in me nearly getting caught out on the water in an electrical storm. Fair to say I'll be with a different provider when my current plan expires.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:27 pm

Nice work ian, not long now and i'll be able to join you on these trips
I'm swapping off vodaphone for the same reason

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:18 pm

Good report, you braved the crap weather & it turned out to be a good fishing trip :thumbsup:

Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Broomstick » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:28 pm

Great report mate! Really enjoying your work

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:24 pm

Mate you are heading for a dose of paddlers elbow with all these trips. Looks like it was a glorious day on the water, shame nothing big was on the chew.
Cast, catch and put it back

safia

Post by safia » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:32 pm

Great report and giving me some serious yak envy :thumbsup:

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:59 pm

Good stuff mate
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

Return to “Warneet To San Remo”