San Remo - Punchbowl - 2/11

Warneet, Tooradin, Grantville, Stockyard Point, Lang Lang, Grantville, Koo Wee Rup Corinella, Coronet Bay, San Remo
StarrangerAU
Has liked: 58 times

San Remo - Punchbowl - 2/11

Post by StarrangerAU » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:53 pm

A short report and PSA for Punchbowl.

A workmate and I decided to give the infamous Punchbowl a try-out at sunrise this morning (2/11) . For my part I spent the better part of the week doing my homework, asking questions, watching youtubes, and reading previous forum posts. Scouts motto, be prepared! was my mantra.

Aside from the off/on drizzle rain, the forecast had winds below 10kn, swell at 0.5, hide tide at 6am, in my mind a satisfactory weather combination. A real shame it was not lovely and sunny.

We arrived at sunrise, traversed our way down to the eastern ledge, 4 other lines were already in the water belonging to other early risers. We baited up with Pillies n squid and started soaking baits. We stuck it out till 12noon, landing only a single 32cm salmon, our neighbours didn't fare much better bagging just one 45-50cm Salmon. However a fellow just around the corner landed 7 quality salmon and a very decent snapper. So the fish are around, but jthey ust not patrolling areas of shoreline as much as you'd expect.

Now my PSA, just as a warning to (some) folk aiming to make the trek to Punchbowl. For my part I knew as we made our way down to the shoreline that the return trip was going to be taxing on my body (memories of Mt Martha cliff face). I'll preface this next bit with my own disclaimer, I'm over 50, smoke more gaspers than I should, am a bit heavier than whats good for me, and my resting blood pressure is 156/90. Seriously folks, anyone else who vaguely resembles those stats.... I encourage you to take careful measure of the your conditions, and that of the path down and reconsider your desire to fish this location, and doubly so in wet conditions as the clay'ish soil is steep (almost vertical) in places and slippery. I felt certain my heart and lungs were going to do that Alien thing and burst right out my chest, cue visions of blood, viscera, and Air Ambulances.

My workmate and I enjoyed our morning fishing despite the poor result, though the trek back up just about ( probably did tbh) killed any enthusiasm we have to return to Punchbowl eastern ledge.

I'll probably cop some flak about being reckless to have made the journey down, though hindsight is always a perfect critic. Anyway, made it back home and will no doubt be sore for my efforts tomorrow.

Cheers folks

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: San Remo - Punchbowl - 2/11

Post by purple5ive » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:30 pm

You made it back to post the report, so thanks for sharing mate
Cheers

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:12 pm

Good solid report. Haven't fished punchbowl rocks before LB but have dived there and fished just off in the boat..

1 thing I will tell you, if you have dived there you will never bother to fish it LB again. It's generally a baron wasteland with nothing but the odd wrasse and sweep. That is the nature of LB rock fishing in Vic though I suppose (dougie will probably agree lol) That guy did pretty well to get a snapper I reckon!

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:52 am

From one "Dad Bod" to another, I tip my hat to you and raise my glass , , , , well done :tu:

I have "projected forward observation" so much so, I wouldn't of gone down that hill. And that decision wouldn't of been made at the top of the hill, I would have decided that , , , , sitting on my couch, that's because I'm lazy :-D

That kind of experience has happened to me a few times. To prove it, you missed the "eyes so wide because of the near death experience" phenominum
😳

It's all about having a crack :tu:

Cheers, Bugatti
Last edited by Bugatti on Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:39 am

Good report mate
Thanks for the warning mate
Now I know to give it a miss lol
You probably fitter then me.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:49 am

StarrangerAU wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:53 pm
A short report and PSA for Punchbowl.

A workmate and I decided to give the infamous Punchbowl a try-out at sunrise this morning (2/11) . For my part I spent the better part of the week doing my homework, asking questions, watching youtubes, and reading previous forum posts. Scouts motto, be prepared! was my mantra.

Aside from the off/on drizzle rain, the forecast had winds below 10kn, swell at 0.5, hide tide at 6am, in my mind a satisfactory weather combination. A real shame it was not lovely and sunny.

We arrived at sunrise, traversed our way down to the eastern ledge, 4 other lines were already in the water belonging to other early risers. We baited up with Pillies n squid and started soaking baits. We stuck it out till 12noon, landing only a single 32cm salmon, our neighbours didn't fare much better bagging just one 45-50cm Salmon. However a fellow just around the corner landed 7 quality salmon and a very decent snapper. So the fish are around, but jthey ust not patrolling areas of shoreline as much as you'd expect.

Now my PSA, just as a warning to (some) folk aiming to make the trek to Punchbowl. For my part I knew as we made our way down to the shoreline that the return trip was going to be taxing on my body (memories of Mt Martha cliff face). I'll preface this next bit with my own disclaimer, I'm over 50, smoke more gaspers than I should, am a bit heavier than whats good for me, and my resting blood pressure is 156/90. Seriously folks, anyone else who vaguely resembles those stats.... I encourage you to take careful measure of the your conditions, and that of the path down and reconsider your desire to fish this location, and doubly so in wet conditions as the clay'ish soil is steep (almost vertical) in places and slippery. I felt certain my heart and lungs were going to do that Alien thing and burst right out my chest, cue visions of blood, viscera, and Air Ambulances.

My workmate and I enjoyed our morning fishing despite the poor result, though the trek back up just about ( probably did tbh) killed any enthusiasm we have to return to Punchbowl eastern ledge.

I'll probably cop some flak about being reckless to have made the journey down, though hindsight is always a perfect critic. Anyway, made it back home and will no doubt be sore for my efforts tomorrow.

Cheers folks

I'm glad you got down there and i'm even more glad you came back. Rock fishing in VIC is hard.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:49 am

My mate and I used to fish that spot years ago but never really had much luck besides some salmon. There is a 2 km walk down to a beach to the left half moon I think it was called. Had some luck there with some very big kgw.

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:25 am

Lightningx wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:49 am
My mate and I used to fish that spot years ago but never really had much luck besides some salmon. There is a 2 km walk down to a beach to the left half moon I think it was called. Had some luck there with some very big kgw.
I've actually had more success on ANY of the ledges along there that aren't the one people call 'punchbowl'. There's probably a dozen fishable spots on that little stretch of coast, I have no idea why everyone just gathers on one of them.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

StarrangerAU
Has liked: 58 times

Post by StarrangerAU » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:51 am

DougieK wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:25 am
I've actually had more success on ANY of the ledges along there that aren't the one people call 'punchbowl'. There's probably a dozen fishable spots on that little stretch of coast, I have no idea why everyone just gathers on one of them.
Once the memory of this weekends expedition wears off ( like a woman giving birth I guess) I intend on assembling a super light kit, ditching my favorite (but too heavy when wet) boots and will try for a spot further along..... and hopefully a spot with accessibility more in tune with my capabilities. So I'm not writing the location off just yet.

I've realized some of my mistakes... there was no need to take 10 x 5 oz sinkers, take one rod not three, and pick a side baits or lures, not both to reduce tackle.

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:28 am

StarrangerAU wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:51 am
I've realized some of my mistakes... there was no need to take 10 x 5 oz sinkers, take one rod not three, and pick a side baits or lures, not both to reduce tackle.

When CarlG and I first started this gig we were carrying about 30kg of gear EACH in and out of these places. I've cut it down to 3 salmon slugs, 3 squid jigs , some pretied rigs and some sinkers for snapps sessions. When I lose a sinker or break a rig I just take the whole thing off and clip another one on. I'ts lighter weight than carrying all the components and more efficient than trying to tie individual bits back on.

In the summer time I don't even carry sinkers unless we're slide baiting. A couple of casting floats gets the job done, and 100 balloons weigh less than 50g.

A good pair of lightweight boots, or alternately just walking in and out in your rock boots is absolutely essential and probably the most important part of my kit.

The spot lightning was describing is the same spot I pm'd you.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Return to “Warneet To San Remo”