Re: First kayak, and first fish on it!

Post by barra mick » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:20 pm

nice trout ,,,were did u catch it ?

did u get any of it mates ?
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

agj_h

Post by agj_h » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:31 pm

Me and a friend bought the SEAK model for around same price as the one above. If you cant get the emotion then the SEAK is fine (for not-too-far-out fishing, probably like the emotion). Here's a couple of pics of how I modified mine:
IMG00145-20130617-1935.jpg
Pic showing two flush rod holders
IMG00146-20130617-1935.jpg
Pic showing the front rod holder (flush mounted)

docta

Post by docta » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:50 pm

barra mick wrote:nice trout ,,,were did u catch it ?

did u get any of it mates ?
Blue rock lake mate, didn't get any of his mates tho, after that I was satisfied.
We just spent a few hours paddling round getting used to it!
Cheers rob
Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths...

docta

Post by docta » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:51 pm

Master-pro wrote:This makes me want a yak bad, I might join you GTS and get one!
Haha get onto it bro, it's so good
Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths...

docta

Post by docta » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:53 pm

agj_h wrote:Me and a friend bought the SEAK model for around same price as the one above. If you cant get the emotion then the SEAK is fine (for not-too-far-out fishing, probably like the emotion). Here's a couple of pics of how I modified mine:
IMG00145-20130617-1935.jpg
IMG00146-20130617-1935.jpg
Saw this one, good yak!

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:40 pm

first congrats on the new yak and it's great pick up fish on your first outing
I must get up to Blue Rock one day it's on my list of places to check out
CrazyChenski wrote:Congrat. Just a friendly suggestion. May I suggest you gents to read up abit on the safety section in Vyak, as they contain a wealth of information/knowledge/experiences from Kayak fishmen.
x2 !
docta wrote: Thanks for the info mate, I'm definitely getting a PFD, was always on the list - regardless of price. Ill have a look at the site and absorb the info on there!

What PFD could you recommend? One that doesn't ride or restrict arm movement too much...
Cheers rob
arn't you using a PFD atm , thats a scary thought
you cant use a pfd 1 - 2 or 3 and there are some good PFDs that are made for kayaking they come with pockets and things
I myself use an inflatable PFD 1 its light and comfortable and was cheap enough at about $ 90

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tcqCscAaOY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[youtube]5tcqCscAaOY[/youtube]

I use 4 burkley rod holders the same as http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/prod ... 0938#Cross" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and mounted them on a stainless steel frame they work out good from trolling lures to fishing for gummies

one front rod holder doubles and a holder for my landing net while trolling lures or fishing for squid
ether way I dont have to turn around to get the net while working with a fish beside my yak

hope it gives you food for thought
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

CrazyChenski

Post by CrazyChenski » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:06 pm

docta wrote:
CrazyChenski wrote:Congrat. Just a friendly suggestion. May I suggest you gents to read up abit on the safety section in Vyak, as they contain a wealth of information/knowledge/experiences from Kayak fishmen. Although budget maybe tight, some safety items are definitely worth of investment.

Hope you see you out on water sometime, as I also fishing off kayak mostly as well.
Thanks for the info mate, I'm definitely getting a PFD, was always on the list - regardless of price. Ill have a look at the site and absorb the info on there!
Might just run into ya one day!
What PFD could you recommend? One that doesn't ride or restrict arm movement too much...
Cheers rob

No worry mate. I wasn't sure you were wearing a pfd or not. Like cheaterpart said, it's scary thought, but I believe it is also illegal to be in a kayak without an pfd.
You managed to save on bargain deal, don't want to waste away by getting fined by water police.

docta

Post by docta » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:41 am

I was wearing a shitty PFD 1 under my spray jacket, that my mates dad had - very bulky and annoying.
Looking at a PFD II....
From surfing the web I've gathered that the inflatable ones are no help to you if you get a knock on the head and can't pull the cord to inflate... Which is a fair assumption.
Anyone have good experience with a 1 or 2 PFD that they could recommend?
Thanks for all the replies and info guys appreciate it
Cheers Rob

docta

Post by docta » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:43 am

Cheater, picked up the same rod holder as yourself last night.
Got some flush mounts also to chuck behind the seat but i like the idea of being able to troll with the berkley ones

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:17 am

docta wrote:i like the idea of being able to troll with the berkley ones
because the rod lifts out the top instead of needing to be pulled out of a tube the rod holders can be set up futher in front of you
that way having 1 or 2 rods being trolled dont get in the way of you paddle but are still easy to get out of a holder if/when you get a strike
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Return to “Show us your purchases”