Basic Fly tying Equipment

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Re: Basic Fly tying Equipment

Post by dazz999 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:13 pm

Definitely get a vice with a fully rotating head (yuotube) make,s life so much easier.I remember when they first came into Aus the older guy,s were complaning it was cheating .For what your making you only need a decent vice and bobbin holder.The pack Tim suggested look,s fine for me i was hooked on fly fishing for many year,s and had some cash back then so i purchased a renzetti vise ,ceramic bobbin holder etc noway could i purchase that stuff today

Tim399
Has liked: 251 times

Post by Tim399 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:10 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:18 pm
Tim399 wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:46 pm
I’ve been getting by using this kit
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/South-Pacif ... SwZrtckyZ-
Sure using better equipment would be nicer, but for $70 to your door, it has all the tools needed (including vice) and will get the job done
im guessing the vice in this pack is the fancy one that swivels/turns?
It does rotate, not as nicely or quickly as a top end one, but still does the job. I went the cheap route so if I didn’t like fly tying I wouldn’t be throwing heaps of money away, if I had to buy the tools that are in that kit at a high quality price I would never have bothered. Then if you get right into it, you can buy better tools as you need to (or want to) replace them and you will appreciate the quality so much more. I ended up breaking the bobbin holder (being too rough), so I bought a good one and it’s pretty nice to use. The vice in that pack is fairly solid though, shouldn’t be able to break it.

NOTE: fly tying typically is not a way to get cheaper flies. By the time you buy good equipment and fly tying materials (not cheap either!) you will have to tie LOTS of flies to break even. Decent flies can be had for $1.20 online.
In saying that, to catch a fish on your own tied fly will be worth the money invested to many people, including myself.

Sebb
Has liked: 2997 times

Post by Sebb » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:35 pm

Tim399 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:10 pm

NOTE: fly tying typically is not a way to get cheaper flies. By the time you buy good equipment and fly tying materials (not cheap either!) you will have to tie LOTS of flies to break even. Decent flies can be had for $1.20 online.
In saying that, to catch a fish on your own tied fly will be worth the money invested to many people, including myself.
Yup, I agree with this.
The materials aren't that cheap, though we can make a lot of flies, we don't really need that many.
But yes, that feeling of catching a fish on the fly tied ourself is priceless.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:00 pm

Thanks guys.

It's just for something different to catch fish on, I highly doubt it will be a full time hobby for me.
I just wanted to make something on my own and catch something on it

Tim399
Has liked: 251 times

Post by Tim399 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:16 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:00 pm
Thanks guys.

It's just for something different to catch fish on, I highly doubt it will be a full time hobby for me.
I just wanted to make something on my own and catch something on it
Tying flies is a good way to relax and pass time in front of the computer with some fishing or fly tying vids playing :tu:

Sebb
Has liked: 2997 times

Post by Sebb » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:32 pm

Here's something to motivate you.
Chris from Compleat Angler Melbourne tied this. Imagine casting it along with burley cubes in the shallows. 🤔😁
Attachments
FB_IMG_1586949614497.jpg
FB_IMG_1586949590021.jpg
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

ecoronad
Has liked: 1 time

Post by ecoronad » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:24 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Tim399 wrote:
Sure using better equipment would be nicer, but for $70 to your door, it has all the tools needed (including vice) and will get the job done
That ebay model would be equivalent to the "jarvis walker - black queen" model in terms of fishing rods. Nude up's model would be getting more towards your "Shimano Raider rod" model.

Make sure you get a full 360 rotating head vise. Just like fishing rods, having good components and tools will make your experience a pleasure and not a chore.

Bobbin holder and whip finisher are the two other tools you'll need - nothing fancy required, as long as they do the job. (I imagine you have no intentions of tying up size 18 dry fly hooks). If you know how to tie a half hitch, then you won't need a tool for it.

Youtube and videos are a good way to get started. Good luck

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:23 am

ecoronad wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:24 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Tim399 wrote:
That ebay model would be equivalent to the "jarvis walker - black queen" model in terms of fishing rods. Nude up's model would be getting more towards your "Shimano Raider rod" model.

Make sure you get a full 360 rotating head vise. Just like fishing rods, having good components and tools will make your experience a pleasure and not a chore.

Bobbin holder and whip finisher are the two other tools you'll need - nothing fancy required, as long as they do the job. (I imagine you have no intentions of tying up size 18 dry fly hooks). If you know how to tie a half hitch, then you won't need a tool for it.

Youtube and videos are a good way to get started. Good luck
just testing the water atm mate, more than likely will not be something i pursue with vigour
ideally DIY everything for me is best $$ wise.
i am still working as of now, otherwise id be tying them already by now.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:24 am

Seb85 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:32 pm
Here's something to motivate you.
Chris from Compleat Angler Melbourne tied this. Imagine casting it along with burley cubes in the shallows. 🤔😁
Now thats quite impressive!!! :o_0:

Return to “Fly fishing in Victoria”