Entry level 6/7 weight

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Re: Entry level 6/7 weight

Post by ducky » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:21 am

I've got a few spots where sight casting to carp with bread flies will be a definite.

Gonna be a little while till I get the reel but I'll be checking the classifieds of a few forums regularly.

ecoronad
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Entry level 6/7 weight

Post by ecoronad » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:27 pm

Basti wrote: i was planning on sightfishing at sugarloaf. There's some decent sized fish that mooch the shoreline in there and the water's pretty clear most of the time. I've hooked a couple on spin gear with weighted flies and extra splitshot added, but the cast distance just isnt there
In that case, you'll need to develop a really good roll cast as, depending on the water levels, sugarloaf can have a wall trees behind you, making it near on impossible to execute a back cast. Also, after spotting a cruising carp, your best chance is to walk ahead of it about 10-15m and cast to a spot you predict the fish will be. 9 times out of 10 if you try to cast to the fish, the fly line landing on the water will spook it. Use a short leader of about 1.2 1.5m and an unweighted Fuzzy wuzzy or woolly bugger. Once the fly has landed, let the ripples settle and the fly to sink for about 5-10 before commencing a series of slow stop/start strips of about 20cm. One of the hardest thing in fly fishing is holding your nerve as you attempt to cast at a fish whilst your heart is racing at a hundred miles an hour!

You'll also want to get a hold of some fly line dressing to keep your cheap fly line floating and "slick" for long periods of time.

Early spring would be your best option as the water starts to warm up and the carp start to feed around the margins of the lake. Let me know if you have success.

Return to “Fly fishing in Victoria”