Port Stephens advice

New South Wales Fishing Reports
Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Port Stephens advice

Post by Basti » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:42 am

I've made a last minute decision to join a family trip to Port Stephens (shoal bay to be specific) this coming weekend and would be grateful if anyone can share any fishing advice regarding what's available in the area.

Mainly looking for what tackle to take with me and which species to target. We are driving up so left to my own devices id probably take everything I own. Any spots you may be willing to share would be welcome.

My arsenal atm includes 1-3, 2-4, 6-8kg spinning gear and a few surf rods in the 6-12 range. A few lighter bait rods too.

Cheers
Niroj

fitzy90

Re: Port Stephens advice

Post by fitzy90 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:01 pm

Bream and luderick are the species you can consistently catch up there if your land based, fish the rock wall at the nelson bay marina all you will need is a bit prawn on an unweighted hook and cast it out and let it float down with the current.
There are always luderick fishermen there who are not the most friendly bunch but mainly keep to themselves. You will need a float rig and weed to catch the luderick ( blackfish or they call them there). Some of the tackle shops sell the weed there, its not too expensive and you should be able to find it.

fishmagnet

Post by fishmagnet » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:18 pm

you can catch bream, whiting,flatties,pinkies, salon,etc.. from little beach in nelson bay. fish an incoming tide preferably in the evening or early morning with prawns and sandworms on some lures. i've had some good success there almost 90% of the tie as we go up there yearly. also use a surf rod with a paternoster and cast it our a fair way as there is a reef system out. fish on the left hand side of the boat ramp near the swimming zone pylons. and as stated above the marina breakwall can be good. good luck and can't wait to hear your report :thumbsup:
cheers sam

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:46 pm

Hey mate,

I've only been there for a night, but at sunrise at fingal bay off the rocks to the right of the main beach LadyK and I absolutely cleaned up on snook and tailor. Using the glow bottom 40g gillies pilchard pattern and just casting exactly like you would for salmon.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 91

Longtail : 1

foggybottom

Post by foggybottom » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:03 pm

DougieK wrote:Hey mate,

I've only been there for a night, but at sunrise at fingal bay off the rocks to the right of the main beach LadyK and I absolutely cleaned up on snook and tailor. Using the glow bottom 40g gillies pilchard pattern and just casting exactly like you would for salmon.
Yep, this spot is the business, sunrise and sunset it produces tailor and sometimes in the middle of the day if you're lucky you can get into some rat kings. Otherwise fingal beach at night produces the odd Jew and if fishing the beach this time of year you're also likely to get whiting and bream and dart on worms or whitebait. Just go light if you're after the bream or whiting.

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:17 am

Thanks heaps guys. Stay tuned for report

Return to “New South Wales”