Eden 2015 kingfish trip

New South Wales Fishing Reports
BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Eden 2015 kingfish trip

Post by BIG GAV » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:45 pm

Just got home from a cracking trip, was great to reel in some different species!! We left Wednesday morn at 6:30 two stops on the way and checked in at the caravan park at 3pm! We unloaded made our beds and setup the surf rods! The beach was approx 10m from our front porch pure serenity!

Once we had two surf rods in a few of the other boys got a piece of the action and that's when the beach really fired!! Flatty after flatty then trevally wobygong shark leopard sharks was great fun and a good start to the trip! 11pm one rod scream off n my mate is running up n down left n right with his rod fighting this fish after 25 minutes he lands a ray!

Day 1
Without a doubt the best day on the water!! I was first up to bat pulling in a nice pinkie just outside the heads, we got a few flaties then a school shark at almost a metre long 97cm! We then moved on to the chip mill where the rats are apparently being seen so we dropped some sabiki rigs n stocked up on baitfish good timing too as I was reeling one up it got followed by a couple of rats! I was shocked and stoked I dropped my bail arm but it didn't work (probs woulda got smoked on that gear anyway. I pulled in my livey hooked him up on my 5kg rod n sienna 4000 n sure enough 2-3mins in she buckles!! Best fight I've had to date (being a freshwater fisherman) my line peeled I got some back it peeled more it was tit for tat for about 15-20 mins and I finally pulled him up yelling I farkin got one!!!! In the net hi 5's all round fist pumps the works the rat went 57 I don't care if it was undersized I laned one then the captains sabiki rod goes nuts after a 20 min battle he uncover another! That's right foul hooked a kingfish on a Sabiki rig!!! This one 46, we also got a lot of snook at good size pound for pound they fight pretty well but they were demolishing our live baits so we moved. Lots of gurnard there even an endangered black cod! With grins ear to ear we headed back to the boat ramp.

Day2
Mowarry point, big flatheads there our biggest went 63 but other boats had some monsters they were everywhere there along with leatherjackets we landed a lot n just threw so much back, all of a sudden a mako swims up to the back of the boat!! We quickly chopped up a few snook n threw em in once he started eating we filleted a piece n chucked it on a hook, pure genius he ate it like it was nothing started reeling it in n he just copped it, we were disappointed about to lift him out then the sinker tapped the boat n he just screamed off but being 88cm he was no match for a Salina n 20kg rod again high 5's all round, we trolled back to twofold bay for two strong pull downs but no hook was set.. Tried the chip mill again to no avail just a lot of snook ALOT I easily landed 10-12 alone.

Day 3
Not a lot of action this day I kicked it off with a small flatty we went to the rocks n reefs n caught a few gurnard n pinkies but my mate for some reason was the only one with constant action, he was getting trevally in on his whiting setup non stop n I was lucky to get a nibble (I did have big baits, for gummy)
We talked about heading to the shelf but we were after kingfish so didn't bother other mates we went with did go out to the shelf on day two n didn't get a thing

I spent all last night surf fishing in the rain hoping for a decent gummy or leopard shark but didn't get a touch at 2am soaked to the bone I called it quits.. I'm not to big a fan of surf fishing but I'll admit there's a lot of technique needed.

Great trip the only kingfish we did see was a divers and it was easily a 10kg fish, we didn't go to Mowarry point on day 3 and should have cause the Kings absolutely fired up for almost an hour! Blokes at the caravan park were there n told us that there were 7 boats there and in that time every boat got at least one n none under 8kg!

Small beautiful place n I'll definately be back there next year!!
Mates making a video once done I'll add it to the thread
Cheers

Gav
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

BIG GAV

Re: Eden 2015 kingfish trip

Post by BIG GAV » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:54 pm

Other fish caught were sergeant bakers rock cod yellowtail bream mullet one weird yabbie lookin thing with no pinsers we went by 4 boats n no one had seen one before an octopus still pumped I'm glad I did the trip!

brycieboy

Post by brycieboy » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:06 pm

great report. thats one place that i on my list of places to go back to

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:08 pm

hey Gav, great report mate, sounds like you had a ball.
mowarry point ive found very hit and miss. when it goes off, it sure goes off. last year we couldn't get the jigs down quick enough
before leather jackets were attacking line and even hooking up.
Because of the topography of the ocean floor ( I don't know how you fished it ) but straight out from land its basically goes like a stair case, if you know what I mean. We would drift in from about a km out, generally sounding the area heavily can give you a good indication of where to start, that's if the leather jackets aren't there in plague proportions.
from my experience, best time to go is early febuary, the last two king fish comp's in mid march, turned up donuts, but the marlin were even jumping a couple of km's out from mowarry point.
spot on with the bait collection area, but ive never hooked up a kingy out from the chip mill area, so well done.
If you get a chance, do head out from two fold bay out to the shelf, its a great place to head out on a good day for the smaller boat. last year the marlin were getting caught 15 km out, not quite at the shelf but the action certainly starts up from the 15-18 km mark. we normally stay at the two fold bay park in the beach front cabins, with a view staright out across to the ramp. Couldn't get there this year with my boat re build in progress, but great to hear someone else got there and got amongst it.

cheers
colin

BIG GAV

Post by BIG GAV » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:16 pm

Yes sounds like we stayed at the same park it's called the sapphire inn now just outta town! And a lot of leatherjackets chewed a lot of rigs we bottom bashed a lot I dropped some big baits out about halfway down but didn't get anything, we had a few good fights around the chip mill one had my 10-15kg ugly stick buckled n screaming my line busted me off my 30lb braid in the pylons on mussels probably a big gummy

For anyone who hasn't been there I'd highly recommend it!

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:35 pm

Great read sounds like you had a great trip gav I bet you can't wait till next year

JoshW

Post by JoshW » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:36 pm

Sounds great mate. Get a few pics up for us to have a look at if you can!

fishmagnet

Post by fishmagnet » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:05 pm

great report! :thumbsup:

SparkyUK

Post by SparkyUK » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:37 am

Great read Gav, looks like you all had a awesome time.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:03 am

Well done mate. That's something I wouldn't forget in a lonnggg time..
Cheers

Return to “New South Wales”