End of Season LBG trip under crazy circumstances.

New South Wales Fishing Reports
DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

End of Season LBG trip under crazy circumstances.

Post by DougieK » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:48 pm

So, I've been fishing.

No laws were broken in the creation of this report.

Rock fishing is inherently dangerous, and we, as rock fisherman, accept a certain degree of risk as the price for the art form that we practice. This topic has been done to death and doesn't require any further consideration. If you would like to contribute to a conversation about rock fishing safety, you can do so here. viewtopic.php?f=105&t=23090

Now on to it.

The last two months have been a complete blur. Minutes turn into hours, hours into days and days of the week into nothing. At the end of February I started a new job as a relief teacher to compliment the work I do coaching at Absolute MMA. I adore the martial arts in all forms however a more stable, more day time friendly role in a secondary school would allow me greater freedoms with some other goals i'm looking for, plus my body is falling apart. My new job lasted 2.5 weeks, with the writing on the wall with COVID-19 and the relief teaching work drying up in a hurry, coupled with the gym just closing until this mess is over, I took the opportunity to get the hell out of Melbourne before we all got locked down.

Driving through the twisting roads of East Gippsland I got to witness the destruction from summers fires first hand. For a couple of hours with the cruise control set at 100, nothing but regrowth on heavily burned areas, as far as the eye could see.

Arriving around midday at Saltwater Creek, I chucked the swag up and immediately took off for a look around. The devastation is endless, the entire place, minus the 100 odd metres of campground, has been obliterated. From vegetation so thick you can't even see through it, let alone trying to walk through it, to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6QNAJj6dLg

I was actually overcome for a little while, the ash on the ground is like walking through fresh snow. While the big Gum's on the road in had begun to recover, here nothing lives at all.

I fished SWC for salmon and the Pulpit for a couple of days. I really like this area because of the lack of mobile reception, while the world goes crazy, the martial arts are cancelled and teachers are panicking about everything, I can fish in peace.

Pulpit, as always, is stunning.

as is SWC

An ample supply of predawn slimeys and yakkas getting smashed by big pike. No sign of any pelagics, but that's what i've come to expect from this spot. I cannot strongly enough recommend coming here for a look around, it's a spectacular place to learn the LBG game and there's no chance of being interrupted by a big fish.

I didn't see another person for 3 days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeuTnIJ1UE4

(April 14 is the upload date, not the date i took the video)

The time came to move on. Coming out of non reception isolation with a plan of heading up to JB for a few days, I recieved a string of panicked messages from the Iron Princess, telling me that she's been told not to come to work, and that they are placing restrictions on where you can and can't go. After decoding the mixed messages (while driving through the bega valley) and some calls to locals, I came to the following conclusions.

IPs fight that weekend in Sydney was cancelled, and she had been advised against flying.
School was closed.
Flights were being cancelled.
National Parks and camp grounds were closed.

So unless I want to pay 2k for 4 days in an airbnb at JB, fishing the tubes or B was out of the question.

We found an Airbnb at Coffs Harbour, a lazy 10 hour drive from where I was and 14 for IP, which would take us for 10 days for a reasonable price, so off I went and she joined me in her car a couple of days later, driving up from Melbourne in a single hit. I've been as far North as SouthWest Rocks, fished Hat Head for a week a couple of years ago, but never spent any time in any of the towns up there. I dont' like Airbnb, I have a great distaste for being close to anyone, I don't need a bed or a shower or a fridge or a kettle, i'm quite happy being uncomfortable in my swag with my jetboil and a little cooker. Largely, I did not want to spend 10 days in some hole of a backward town with nothing but boomers and bogans.

And then I got there.

Pulling into the breakwall (before I checked in cos fishing first) I walked 3 metres from the car onto the top of the wall, heard a little girl say "daddy daddy tuna" and was met with a carpark sized eruption in front of me. Mack Tuna exploding all around the surface.

And they would...not....take....anything....I....cast.

A couple of the local boys were having similar problems. Many new 4 letter words were learned. Eventually I hooked into a 5kg model on a 1.5oz GT icecream, 12lb tasline and 20lb leader. A solid 20 minutes including a couple of freespool moments and me ballerina'ing along an unfamiliar ledge, I had it up on the breakwall for a pic.

What we discovered were dozens of the most fishable, gorgeous rock ledges, beaches and estuaries you can imagine. Super friendly locals, 10 min drive to more fishing than you could do in a year. Coffs and Port Maq appear to be heaven on earth, and I was absolutely not expecting to fall instantly in love with the place.

Fishing dawn, dusk and any tide change for 10 days is exhausting. Mistakes were made, fish lost, skin sunburnt, knees hands elbows scraped, phones cracked and tempers flared. But when you see your Popper disappear in a bow wave and the drag on the Expo scream, it's all worthwhile.

I hooked 3 big pelagics spinning, one confirmed spanish that snipped me and what i suspect were two long tails. I landed 0/3. 20+mack tuna, probably 100 tailor, trevally, flathead, whiting, bream, all from similar sorts of areas within 10 mins drive of Coffs. All 3 were on GTicecreams of some description, with smaller metals doing most of the damage on the smaller fish.

I won't go through and describe each session in detail, and will just post a heap of uncaptions pics. Spots include the Gallows, Coffs Creek, Sawtell, Muttonbird Island, Look at me Now headland, Woolgoolga, Nambucca heads, South West Rocks and probably a few more.

I can legit see myself moving into this area 3-5 years from now.

Packing the gear up back in Melbourne at the start of April is absolutely heartbreaking. We should have 2 more months of solid fishing every weekend ahead of us. Not heading into the city every night to do my classes at Absolute is even worse. This is the time of year we start to amp things up towards the Nationals then the Worlds, instead we are relegated to doing drills in my living room. Not having certainty about the future, the fear of the unknown, is a far bigger issue to most people than any tangible threat ever will be. The current situation is historically unique, we are about to experience the most trying times for Australia since the second world war. With patience, co operation and love, we, as fisherman, as a country, can get through this together. Stay home. Wash your hands. Show respect for people who do the same for you.

Straight arms!

Popping on the heavy gear, get a hookup and it's another one of these .....

Last edited by DougieK on Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: End of Season LBG trip under crazy circumstances.

Post by purple5ive » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:21 pm

Nicely done mate, Atleast you got to catch some fish.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:22 pm

Great report and Pics Dougie well done.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

Troy McLure
Has liked: 140 times

Post by Troy McLure » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:29 pm

Some cracking pics there mate. South coast of NSW is gods country. North of Sydney is nothing to sneeze about either.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:33 pm

Great report I was really shocked on my drive to bermie at the devastation of the bush fires I reckon we went through 250 klm of burnt out forest.
Some great fishing all the way to qld if only I had emigrated somewhere up there rather than Vic

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:39 pm

Nude up wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:33 pm
Great report I was really shocked on my drive to bermie at the devastation of the bush fires I reckon we went through 250 klm of burnt out forest.
Some great fishing all the way to qld if only I had emigrated somewhere up there rather than Vic
It's the same from Bermie up to Ulladulla or so, then more pockets around JB, then devastated out the back of Maq as well.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:44 pm

Troy McLure wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:29 pm
Some cracking pics there mate. South coast of NSW is gods country. North of Sydney is nothing to sneeze about either.
I probably cast from 30 different rock platforms within a 20 minute drive of Coffs. Honestly JB is my favorite place to fish, SWC and pulpit are my favorite places to be, but this joint had all those feelings rolled into a pretty comfortable all round place to be.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:28 pm

Nice write up doug, it's times like now that make you realise how lucky we are to be able to do trips like this. A mate and I did something very similar but fishing an estuary in gippy just before lockdown, seeing some of the fire damage was pretty confronting in places. Really admire the effort you put in and some of the places you get into. Hopefully big trips like this are on the cards in the not too distant future but I suspect it will be quite some time before we can travel unimpeded.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:09 am

mazman wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:28 pm
Nice write up doug, it's times like now that make you realise how lucky we are to be able to do trips like this. A mate and I did something very similar but fishing an estuary in gippy just before lockdown, seeing some of the fire damage was pretty confronting in places. Really admire the effort you put in and some of the places you get into. Hopefully big trips like this are on the cards in the not too distant future but I suspect it will be quite some time before we can travel unimpeded.
Honestly I don't really enjoy it as much without the swag life. Fishing and camping alone is an experience unlike any other. Even though most of these ledges were deserted, going back to a house (well an apartment attached to a house) with the IP and having the shops walking distance and a kettle and a microwave etc kind of ruins what i'm trying to do.

Australia is unbelievably lucky to be able to just get in the car and drive places like we can, all the people freaking out about not being able to go overseas for holidays dont' know what they've been missing out on and will be pleasantly suprised if they choose somewhere like this.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:22 am

DougieK wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:09 am

Australia is unbelievably lucky to be able to just get in the car and drive places like we can, all the people freaking out about not being able to go overseas for holidays dont' know what they've been missing out on and will be pleasantly suprised if they choose somewhere like this.
Without derailing this thread too much.
Not everyone wants to experience the solidarity on a holiday.
Some prefer the change of scenery, language, delicacies, weather, catch up with family or friends and the ability to perhaps live like royals for the few weeks they are holidaying in a different country.
Horses for causes of course… I myself love a bit of both.

Return to “New South Wales”