Cold water trout in tough conditions. (includes Video)

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Cold water trout in tough conditions. (includes Video)

Post by meppstas » Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:07 pm

Hi Guys, sorry I've been a bit slack of late in getting my reports up to date.. here's one from a a week and a bit ago. The rivers are still running high and fast here, I'm stuck to fishing one area at the moment.. Hopefully the rain will ease & I'll be back in some better waters..

Cold water trout in tough conditions.

I know it's still Winter, but I am really starting to get tired of the constant rains we've been getting just when the trout season opened. Like I said it is still Winter and it is to be expected especially in August and even well into September we will continue to have a lot more rainy days and swollen rivers. This morning we had light drizzle and a gusty Easterly wind so fishing was out of the question for today, well that's how I saw it until later in the day when it cleared up, the wind dropped off and the sun broke through as the clouds parted ways. Just after lunch I decided I would head back to the same stretch of river that I fished four days ago. I knew the river would more than likely be running a few inches higher due to the 39 mms of rain that we had a couple of days ago, but I was willing to take the punt and give it a go while the weather was okay. The closer I got to my destination the more clouds seemed to be building up and once I arrived (1:30pm) there, so did the wind. It was a strong gusty Easterly that was blowing at 20-25kph, not only that it was a cold wind as well. I was also using the same Okuma trout set up as I did on my last trip to this river with the same Mepps Aglia-e rose spinner as the lure of choice.
My walk to the river was a little shorted this time, I could see the river was running several inches higher and much faster than my last trip here. With the river being higher meant there would be less still flat waters along the river banks on the opposite side of the river, that also meant the trout won't be there either. The only good thing to come out of it was I would be fishing the river with the wind at my back, it was going to make casting the #1 Aglia-e spinner across the river difficult too. It doesn't matter if the wind is coming from behind or straight in one's face, judging the cast of the lure across the river becomes ten times harder when accuracy is most important. The wind can and will carry a lure well off course once it's released, not only that it can create wind knots as it rips line from the open reel spool once the lure has been cast. The hardest part was getting across the river to where I wanted to start spinning for trout in a small narrow side water. The river itself was much darker in colour after the recent rain and I could not see the river bottom in water that was just above my knees. To make matters worse, the force of the water was much harder on the legs, the rocks were covered in slime which made them slippery, plus they quite often rolled under foot so it was a very slow trip across the river. When fishing in conditions like this I always face upstream and side step my way across the river, by doing this I'm more balanced and less likely to be spun around and fall in.
Not the place to loose one's footing..JPG
Not the place to lose one's footing.

Once across the river I didn't have any luck in catching a trout, all I managed in the first thirty minutes was a couple of very soft touches on the spinner. It was time to get out and try another long stretch of river a hundred meters further upstream, it's one I bypassed on the last trip because I decided to fish in the back water instead. The long stretch of water is also perfect for casting and drifting a blade spinner too, another reason I decided to fish it. Once I was back in the river I gave the Aglia-e rose a five minute workout without any trout being caught, it was time to try something different. With the water being so dark in colour I took a gamble and went for a #1 Aglia Furia, why, because it's a great trout catcher. The Aglia Furia isn't a bright coloured inline spinner either so it was a risk using it in the dark water but I had nothing to lose by giving it a go. The opposite of the river here did have some nice narrow flat waters along it which was just what the doctor ordered, perfect for lobbing the lure into then letting it drift with the flow while slowly retrieving the line to keep it taught. It didn't take all that long when the Furia was hit hard and fast, it was fish on, a solid medium size brown had taken the lure and was soon in the net. Once released I slowly made my way upstream casting and drifting the Furia for fifteen minutes without another trout being caught, it was time for a lure change. This time I went for a #1 Aglia Fluo rainbow micropigment spinner, a lure that is much lighter in colour, one that will stand out more in the dark water.
A trout was lured from this flat water..JPG
A trout was lured from the flat water here
The first trout of the session is in the net..JPG
The first trout is in the net

The wind was still blowing hard and the cloud was very heavy overhead and becoming much darker, the air temp was sitting at 6 degrees which more or less matched the water temperature. I was getting the shivers now, it was just so cold and not having a jumper on didn't help either, my feet were numb as were my legs and they were all covered with thermal gear. I started to cast and drift the rainbow spinner in the river and it didn't take all that long before I was onto another medium size brown trout, it also made it into the landing net. Eight minutes later I picked up the third trout of the afternoon, it was around the same size as the other two caught earlier. I was nearing the end of this long narrow stretch of river and just about to move into much wider shallow waters, that's when I thought it was time to call it a day. With three trout caught and released was much better than I had expected given the conditions I had to put up, they weren't ideal for trout fishing at all, I suppose perseverance paid off in the end. More rain is forecast for the coming few days so when or where I will get to fish a river again, I have no idea.
All three trout were caught here..JPG
All three trout were caught in this stretch of water.
A change of lure worked a treat..JPG
The change of lure did the job.
Ready for release..JPG
Ready for release.
The third trout of the session is in the net..JPG
The third & last trout of the session.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuT0to9hlUQ

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 798 times

Re: Cold water trout in tough conditions. (includes Video)

Post by Seniorfisho » Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:11 pm

Well done Adrian, persistence pays off. Some great colors on those fish

fisho999
Has liked: 531 times

Post by fisho999 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:17 pm

nice fish mate, great report.

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:43 pm

Thanks guys, I can't wait for the weather to settle and the river levels drop to a safe wading height..

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Post by Andrews » Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:15 pm

Great report and appreciate the sharing of the beautiful scenery!
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:36 pm

Enjoyed the read Adrian!
Great vid as well 😃
Some nice pics as always! Those fish look great.
Cheers 👍🏻

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:29 pm

Thanks Andrews & Lx, it's been a frustrating start to the season due to the crappy weather, high rivers & gale force winds, I'm really hoping it will turn around for the better in the next few weeks. August is always a tough time to be a river fisho anyway.. It will improve though..

cheers Adrian

Sebb
Has liked: 3008 times

Post by Sebb » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:02 am

Doesn't look like the best condition. But well done, you got onto some.
:tu:
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:47 pm

Thank Sebb, the conditions weren't the best, thankfully I did manage to catch & release a few trout which made up for it..

cheers
Adrian

Return to “Tasmania”