500th Trout of the season. (article & video)

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

500th Trout of the season. (article & video)

Post by meppstas » Wed May 18, 2022 5:14 pm

Not long before the trout season ended I managed to catch my 500th trout, a target that I set myself to do at the start of the 2021/22 season.
cheers
Adrian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXLwPoWuzHQ&t=40s

"500th trout of the season."

Seeing as I only need another three trout to reach the 500 trout target I set myself for this season I decided not to wait another day to reach it. With rain forecast for all of tomorrow I made the decision to head off to my favorite tannin water to see if I could get it over and done with. It was 3:05 pm by the time I hit the river which was a little on the low side but still deep enough thanks to the 6 mms of rain we had yesterday. I started the session off using a small copper #00 Aglia inline spinner thinking that the copper colour would stand out better in the dark water. It wasn't all that long when I decided that the White Miller Bug spinner would more than likely be a better choice, so on went the White Miller. Not long after the changeover I had the first trout hooked, played and in the net, a nice small/medium size trout, it was just the start I was hoping for. The next ten were pretty quiet without a sign of a trout, it wasn't until I reached one of the rare wide deep stretches of water on the little stream when I caught my second trout of the afternoon. I had made several casts and retrieves in that water and was about to move onto the next piece of water when I decided to have one more cast. Thankfully, that was a good decision, the cast was a long one to the top end of the stream, on the retrieve I felt a light bump on the spinner so I gave the rod a light twitch, that was enough to get the trout to take the spinner. It was a beautifully coloured brown trout that had taken the White Miller and it was a solid fish at that. It wasn't all that long before I had it in the net, once in the net I weighed it then deducted the net weight, the trout weight was 485 grams which was a good size fish for such a small stream.
No room for a poor cast here...JPG
No margin for a poor cast here.
The 485 gram fish of the day.JPG
The best fish caught today, a 485 gram wild brown trout.

With only one more trout required to reach my season's set target I was feeling quite confident of having it in the landing net sooner than later and it was. Ten minutes later while fishing a small deep pocket of water that was well covered with overhanging Tea Trees I picked up the third trout of the spin session, trout number 500 for the season has been caught. As much as I would have liked that trout to have been larger than it was, in the end it doesn't really mean all that much, a fish is a fish and size doesn't matter as they all add up at the end of the day. Once released I was about to call it a day, then knowing I only needed two more trout to pass last season's total catch of 502 fish I decided to fish on a little longer. It actually took me a lot longer than I thought it would to catch the next trout, in fact it took me an hour before I finally had the fourth trout of the day in the net. That fish was a beautiful well conditioned brown trout too and not much smaller than the 485 gram trout caught earlier. With just one decent stretch of water ahead of me before I was nearing where I had parked the car I was hoping that water would do the right thing and give up the trout I wanted. As I approached that open stretch of water I spotted a small trout jump from the water, so I knew there was at least one trout there. Standing at the tail end of that long stretch of water I thought it's now or never, I have to catch a fish here, if not I'm heading to the car as I didn't feel like continuing on any further. I have caught trout in this stretch of water several times before calling it a day and I was hoping to do the same again today. I made a long cast to the top end of that stretch of water, on the retrieve nothing happened over the first five meters of water and just when I thought I'd be having a few more casts and retrieves a trout took the lure. It was fish on, now all I wanted was that the trout didn't leap from the river and toss the spinner, it did make two leaps from the water and the lure held firm, the trout made it into the landing net, My day was done, I had achieved what I set out to do, caught my 500th trout and passed last season's total of 501 trout. With eleven days of the trout season left, every fish I catch from now on is a bonus.
Trout no. 500 is in the net..JPG
Trout No.500 is in the net
500th trout was caught here..JPG
500th trout was caught here.
Another dark tannin water wild brown trout..JPG
Another dark tannin water wild brown trout.
This water gave up the last trout of the session..JPG
This water gave up the last trout of the session.
Every trout was caught on the White Miller Bug spinner..JPG
Every trout was caught on the White Miller Bug spinner.
** Equipment used today:
Okuma Celilo Finesse ULS 1-3kg trout rod, Okuma ITX-1000 spinning reel, Mepps inline spinners,
Platypus Pulse Mono premium monofilament line, Platypus Stealth FC lead line & Boomerang Tool Products.
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Sebb
Has liked: 3008 times

Re: 500th Trout of the season. (article & video)

Post by Sebb » Wed May 18, 2022 11:48 pm

Congrats Adrian :gj:
Overhanging trees, etc, is part of the challenge of river fishing. You set your goal and you did it, well done :tu:

Aglia #00 has been my number 1 lure to put on for river fishing. No doubt its a good lure for trout river fishing.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Thu May 19, 2022 2:05 pm

Top effort must have put a lot of time in
Well Done

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Thu May 19, 2022 6:28 pm

Thanks Sebb & Dennis..
Sebb,the #00 in most of the Mepps spinners work well on the trout in the small streams, the Aglia is probably the No 1 go to lure followed by the Bug spinner. :vy:
Dennis, yes a lot of time was put into it throughout the trout season that is now closed here in Tassie. I have just recently done my full season report and stats of the season which I'll put on the site in the next few days. I think you may find them interesting too.. :tu:
cheers
Adrian
Last edited by meppstas on Fri May 20, 2022 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri May 20, 2022 10:05 am

Top effort Adrian!
Well done mate 😃
Cheers 👍🏻

Return to “Tasmania”