My 2012-13 Trout Season Report.

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

My 2012-13 Trout Season Report.

Post by meppstas » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:18 pm

The following is my 2012-13 Trout Season Report that some of you may find of interest. I do this and have done so since moving to Tasmania in March 2000. The Inland Fisheries Service also get this report sent to them as it helps them to see how certain rivers fish throughout a season. I keep a diary and write a report of every trip in it. Actually it's quite handy as I often go back to them and check out where I fished at certain times of the year and how I went at that time. I have also noticed a steady decline in fish stocks in several rivers that I fish over the past few years. This also helps the IFS as to work out how much they have declined too. So I hope the following is of some interest to you. Hope it doesn't bore you.
Cheers
Adrian
'' THE 2012 – 2013 TROUT SEASON REPORT.'' 9-05-2013
by Adrian Webb
Sheffield. 7306

RIVERS TRIPS BROWNS. RAINBOWS.

'' MERSEY'' 42 124 50

'' MEANDER'' 19 166 2

'' LEVEN'' 3 6 0

'' DASHER'' 4 13 0

'' MINNOW'' 4 3 0

'' WESTERN CK'' 2 5 0

'' COCKATOO DAM'' 1 1 0

'' TOTALS '' 75 318 52

'' Mersey River average.'' 4.14 fish per trip. (* Last season.. 21 trips ave fish 2.71 )
(2011-2012)
'' Meander River '' '' 8.84 fish '' '' ( '' '' 22 '' ave fish 10.45 )

'' Leven River '' '' 2 fish '' '' ( '' '' 8 '' ave fish 2.75 )

'' Dasher River '' '' 3.25 fish '' '' ( '' '' 8 '' ave fish 14.6 )

'' Minnow River '' '' 0.75 fish '' '' ( '' '' 19 '' ave fish 4.58 )

'' Western Ck '' '' 2.5 fish '' '' ( '' not fished '' )

'' Cockatoo Dam '' '' 1.00 fish '' '' ( '' not fished '' )

** As you can see the Mersey River catch rate is up from last season, but doubled in trips.
** Meander River only slightly down with fewer trips.
** Leven River less trips and only marginally less.
** Dasher River was the one that has really declined compared to recent seasons. Very low river levels and the impact of cormorants have taken it's toll on this small open river.
** Minnow River another small stream that went backwards just when it looked liked it was slowly starting to improve. Low water levels and the lack of back up rains throughout the season has hit this river very hard once more.
** All fish caught in this report were taken on a variety of ''Mepps'' metal blade spinners.
** Only 8% of total fish caught were kept.
** Pages 2 and 3 are a report on how each river fared for the season.**

'' Report on how the rivers fared for the 2012-13 Trout Season.'' Page 2 **MERSEY RIVER:
The Mersey fished fairly well for most of the season, though it was a bit hot and cold in the way it did fish. By saying that I meant one day it would fish very well then the next it wouldn't give up a fish and it wasn't due too any weather change either. The lower Mersey in and around Merseylea was the most consistant area that gave up some reasonable catches on many trips there. The Kimberley area was very hot and cold fish wise and was very hard fishing as it was so unpredictable. Further upstream in the Weegena area it wasn't much better but did fish a little better than Kimberley. Then there was the Mole Creek area and further up at Liena, these two areas were the worst that I had fished for the season. Above and below the Union Bridge were the poorest fishing areas of the Mersey that I fished all season, in fact it was so bad (lack of fish) that I only had three trips to this area. One time I fished from the quarry (approx 2kms below the bridge) right back up to the Union Bridge for one very small rainbow and did not even sight a brown or have a follow in all that distance.
In two trips to Liena I did manage to catch a few browns on one of those trips and this area too was really down on fish stocks. Speaking to a Landowner and he told me that several others had fished here for '' Nil '' fish as well, and that the area had also been hit hard by Cormorants too. So over all the Mersey River really fished the best in the Merseylea areas. Fish were taken on Mepps #00 Black Fury.
** Condition of the fish were very good and sizes varied quite a lot with the majority of fish being small in size, and the bigger fish were in excellent condition too. The river bottom seems to be getting worse each season with more slime and algae covering the bottom, plus there is also more silt in many sections of the river. The Liena area above the small township bridge the algae, slime and silt is the worst that I have ever seen there. I don't know if these conditions combined with the influx of Cormorants are some of the reasons for the decline of fish stocks in the upper Mersey or not. But I do think it has to have had some sort of impact the system somehow. My catch rate is up on last season for the Mersey but my trips doubled and I had to cover a greater distance of river to get them.
** MEANDER RIVER::
This river fished much like the Mersey and it too ran a little hot and cold as well. The Meander is in a much better condition than any of the rivers that I fished throughout the season even though it too was very slippery for most of it. There is only a slight build up of silt in a few sections that I fished, but other than that it is pretty good. This too me would be the best river that I have fished all season condition wise. Every fish caught here were in excellent condition, but these too were well down in size than previous seasons. My catch rate was a little down on last season only by a couple of fish though. The best fish taken here (and released) was a nice solid brown that went 1.3kgs. Cormorants have been hitting this river as they have been doing all over the state but I think this river may recover quite well. The worst thing that happened here and it did have a big impact on the drop in trout numbers was caused by the Hydro turbine breakdown during March 2012 that was shut down for around 8 – 9 weeks. This left the river with hardly any flow and it was hit very hard by Cormorants as I was there several times and saw flocks of at least 40 or more birds on the river in the Montana area. But as I stated I think this river will recover much quicker that several others. The only thing that was down was the decline of rainbow trout as I only caught two for the season compared to 19 the previous one. The Mepps Bug spinners and Black Fury spinners really did well in the Meander River as they always do.
**LEVEN RIVER::
Can't say too much about the Leven as in the three trips here I could only manage six browns in the Dobson's Flat area. The first trip here the water was running very high and dark and was impossible to wade and fish properly but I did catch and release four browns. On the second trip there were gale force winds but I did manage to catch a two fish that trip. The third and last trip to the same area did not produce a fish at all and only managed one follow from a small brown. The river seemed to be in good condition with the bottom being very slippery and the fish that were caught were small but well conditioned. I did just have a trip to Loongana (8/5/13) and caught and released four small browns too.

'' Report on how the rivers fared for the 2012-13 Trout Season.'' Page 3.

**DASHER RIVER::
This little river river struggled from day one this season with low water, slime and very slippery river bottom. This has to be the worst condition that I have seen this river in all the times that I have fished it over the past 17 years. I think it's much like the Minnow River in being such a small river that the lack of decent rainfalls over the past few seasons and the lack of back up rainfall has taken its toll on the system. Cormorants have also hit this river and being so open as it is, has had a big effect on it over the season. Hopefully we will have a good Winter with plenty of rain and then get the much needed follow up rains from then on. Hopefully it will recover in the very near future.
**MINNOW RIVER::
Like the Dasher this once great little river has succumbed to the change of weather conditions with the lack of decent rainfalls. As I stated on page one there are several factors for the decline of fish stocks in the Minnow River. I feel this little river is going to struggle for some time yet and it will only recover if we get a steady weather patten and consistent rainfalls. It really now relies on the water that runs of the top of Mt Roland to survive as the small feeder streams and creeks have been mostly non existent since the hardwood plantations that cover much of the area have started to mature and they've all but dried up. The introduction of plantations along most of this river in the upper region of it has really taken its toll on the whole river system. This is a real shame to see how the Minnow has steadily deteriorated as this was probably one of the best small and rarely fished rivers in the area. I can recall catching and releasing browns off around 400gms and 500 gms back into the river, and catches of 15 fish in a session were not uncommon to me.
**WESTERN CREEK::
A river that I will often fish early in the season after fishing the Meander River as I cross over it on the way home. It normally gives up a few nice fish early in the season and is a great little stream to wade with it's fine gravelly river bottom. The river banks can be a little tricky when wet as they are clay and one can get down a lot quicker than expected. As the season goes on the creek level lowers quite fast and the fishing drops off as it becomes very shallow and trout spook very easily. When it's like this the stream is better suited to fly fishing. My best fish for August was taken here and it was a brown that tipped the scales at 985gms which is a great fish for this small creek which is no bigger than the Dasher River.
**COCKATOO DAM:: ( I think that's what it is called )
This is really just a small water hole on the side road that leads into Lorrinna and I just happenned to see a fish rise when driving past. Flicked a small Mepps Black Fury spinner into it it and picked up a nice solid little brown (280gms) on the third cast. Had a few other follows as well after several more casts before heading off home. There is a small creek or stream that runs into this and the out flow drops down a steep ravine which I reckon would eventually run into Lake Cethana. I have no idea how trout managed to get into this small dam, there is also another dam on the opposite side of the main road that also holds browns and I have no idea of the name of it either.
So there you have it, my season report for 2012-13.
Cheers Adrian
Attachments
Aglia Fluo bags 985 gm Brown (Small).jpg
Western Creek brown taken on Mepps Aglia tiger colour spinner
Aglia Fluo bags 985 gm Brown (Small).jpg (109.73 KiB) Viewed 607 times
690gms  Brown beauty (Small).jpg
Minnow River brown
690gms Brown beauty (Small).jpg (107.46 KiB) Viewed 607 times
Dasher River -- Claude Rd. (Small).jpg
Dasher River
Dasher River -- Claude Rd. (Small).jpg (91.4 KiB) Viewed 607 times
IMG_1193 (Medium).jpg
Myself working the spinner, Leven River
IMG_1193 (Medium).jpg (131.85 KiB) Viewed 607 times
485 gm brown, Meander River (Medium).jpg
Meander River brown
485 gm brown, Meander River (Medium).jpg (148.8 KiB) Viewed 607 times
Old wooden bridge over the Meander river (Medium).jpg
Meander River
Old wooden bridge over the Meander river (Medium).jpg (128.02 KiB) Viewed 607 times
Lovely 720gm Mersey River Rainbow trout (Medium).JPG
Nice 720gm Mersey rainbow
Lovely 720gm Mersey River Rainbow trout (Medium).JPG (89.06 KiB) Viewed 607 times
upstream at Weegena (Small).jpg
Mersey River at Weegena
upstream at Weegena (Small).jpg (89.04 KiB) Viewed 607 times
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

andyk

Re: My 2012-13 Trout Season Report.

Post by andyk » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:52 pm

Good work well done

kolina

Post by kolina » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:06 pm

well done. Just being there in such a beautifull environment is priceless. Have been planning a trip to Tasie with family next year. Hopefully all goes good.

rixter

Post by rixter » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:12 pm

Are you just trying to rub Tassie trout fishing in our faces or what ? !!!!!!!!!!!!
Victoria will NEVER compare to Tassie trout fishing , and this is just teasing imo. :2guns:
Cheers , Rick.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

aussie_fisho

Post by aussie_fisho » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:53 pm

What an amazing place to fish, would love to go there one day
Here fishy fishy.......

fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 386 times