Mersey River Still Running High.

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Mersey River Still Running High.

Post by meppstas » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:06 pm

With the wind finally dropping of this afternoon and also having some sunshine I shot down to Merseylea to see how things were on the Mersey River. Well the Mersey had dropped quite a lot but still not enough to get in and have a wade as it was over several low lying sections and still running hard and fast. The good thing about it was that it was running clear which gave my the chance to flick a few lures into it and at least have a bit of a session. With it still be high I was pretty limited in this area to really have a decent stint of spinning, so I just fished a few accessible areas where I did manage to have one nice solid brown hit the Mepps Black Fury spinner in only a foot of water. I cast into an area near the willows that is usually high and dry, and on the retrieve I could see a bow wave moving towards the spinner. With about 5 meters of water left between myself and the spinner it hit hard and fast but missed being hooked. That was the only sighting that I had from a fish in the short time that I was there, and the hit and a miss was the best I was going to get at the for the session today. With Lakes Rowallan and Parangana still spilling it may be a while before the Mersey drops low enough to safely get in and wade. As it is now it is too high and it's not worth taking any risks with the way the river is at this time. There's still seven and a half months of the season left anyway!! Problem now is that the forcast is for another 66mm or so of rain on the way, may be back on the bait fishing again during the week.
cheers
Adrian
Attachments
Mersey still over the edge (Small).JPG
Backwater, may be worth a night time bait session??
Mersey still over the edge (Small).JPG (78.84 KiB) Viewed 535 times
Mersey still high (Small).JPG
Section of water where I had the hit & miss.
Mersey still high (Small).JPG (77.56 KiB) Viewed 535 times
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Return to “Tasmania”