Best Day's Fishing For The Season So Far.

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Best Day's Fishing For The Season So Far.

Post by meppstas » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:37 pm

'' BEST DAYS FISHING FOR THE SEASON SO FAR.'' 16-11-13

Being a Saturday I normally don't go and fish any rivers but today I was bored and so I thought the Dasher River which is only five minutes from home may be worth a try. I haven't fished the Dasher since last season and then it didn't fish that good, hence the reason for leaving it so long to fish it this season. It was close to 2.45pm when I arrived at the river in warm and slightly overcast conditions and a light to medium Nor Westerly breeze. After a 35 minute walk through the paddocks I reached my starting point some 1.5kms from the car. The river looked really good too as it had a nice flow and was a nice tannin colour, but still clear enough to see the bottom quite easily.
It had been so long since my last trip to this area I had almost forgotten what a beautiful stretch of river it really is. It has changed in a few sections from flood damage but it looked all the better for it too. I started off using a #00 Gold Black Fury in the first section of river that used to often give up one or two fish each trip, but it didn't give a yelp today and so it was on to the next section of water.
After a few cast I did have a few small browns follow the spinner right to the river bank, but they would strike the lure. Changed to a #00 Copper Black Fury as this colour has worked okay here on many other trips and I was hoping it may do the job again. Well it took only two casts upstream into a small fast water section before I had a nice little Dasher River brown in the hand. A quick photo and it was on it's way and so was I, because the next cast also produced another fish around the same size. This was more like how the Dasher used to fish and I was no feeling pretty confident that a good catch was on today.
Over the next 500 metres it was not how I expected to be, out of four hook ups only the one small brown was landed, though I did had a few hit and misses as well. This still wasn't good enough for me even though I had made several changes of spinners such as trying the following Stone Fly Bug, Aglia Rouge, Black Bladed Black Furys and even the 40 year old spinner to no avail. It was now close to 4.30pm and only the three fish caught and released, it wasn't looking good. Then all of a sudden it changed I started getting fish after fish in most sections of the Dasher, they just seemed to come on the bite and were really aggressive. A couple of sections gave up three and four fish where others just the one or two fish. These were mainly small browns with the odd one going 300gms and the best fish went 450gms. The fishing stayed like right up until I had made it back to the Main Road bridge where I had parked the car. The last fish of the day was a nice solid 400gm brown taken right under the bridge in a fast water section and it gave up one hell of a fight for it's size too. I realised why it was fighting so hard as it was foul hooked on the outside of the gill cover.
It wasn't that long before this fish was on the bank and then released without any damage done to it. So in all it finished up a great four and a half hours on the Dasher River with a total of 25 browns being caught and released and only a total of six other fish being hooked and lost.
cheers
Adrian
Attachments
Trout water, Dasher River (Medium).JPG
Picked up three browns in this stretch of river (Medium).JPG
One of three solid browns (450gm) (Medium).JPG
Beauty of the Dasher River (Medium).JPG
1st trout of the day.-1 (Medium).jpg
Nice section of the Dasher River (Medium).JPG
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Steff

Re: Best Day's Fishing For The Season So Far.

Post by Steff » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:48 pm

Great writeup mate! Sounds like a great afternoons fish!
Awsome photos too!
So i went fishing on her birthday, .. Hey! She'll have another one!

raco09
Has liked: 3 times

Post by raco09 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:16 pm

Very picturesque. That's what I love about tassie. Good job on the trout as well.
To fish or not to fish...NOT TO FISH ??Yea...like that's even an option !

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:20 pm

Thanks guys, moved here 13 yrs ago from Sth Aust and you're right, can't beat the beautiful surrounds that's for sure, and catching the trout is a bonus.
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

rixter

Post by rixter » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:05 am

Steff wrote:Great writeup mate! Sounds like a great afternoons fish!
Awsome photos too!
x2 :thumbsup:

Cheers , Rick.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:35 am

:rocking_report: good day out mate, I was over there for ten days in 1980, me and two mates caught the best and biggest trout we had ever seen. planning to get back there in March, but I'm not sure the missus is going to let me spend all the time fishing :( cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:51 am

davek wrote::rocking_report: good day out mate, I was over there for ten days in 1980, me and two mates caught the best and biggest trout we had ever seen. planning to get back there in March, but I'm not sure the missus is going to let me spend all the time fishing :( cheers davo
Surely you can talk her into a day or two on a river.... :water: Ask her nicely and give her a box of chocolates... :love:

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:06 am

meppstas wrote:
davek wrote::rocking_report: good day out mate, I was over there for ten days in 1980, me and two mates caught the best and biggest trout we had ever seen. planning to get back there in March, but I'm not sure the missus is going to let me spend all the time fishing :( cheers davo
Surely you can talk her into a day or two on a river.... :water: Ask her nicely and give her a box of chocolates... :love:
more like a box of stubbies :Bar: :victory: cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

spudtrans
Has liked: 30 times

Post by spudtrans » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:46 am

great report, love the pics. thank you

Plas-Flicker

Post by Plas-Flicker » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:25 am

That makes me want to go to Tasmania, great report!
Tight lines = Good Times!

Return to “Tasmania”