Small fish BIG smile

South Australia Fishing Reports
Brownie

Re: Small fish BIG smile

Post by Brownie » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:37 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Brownie wrote: I do also believe that fish taste better or worse from two things, geographically, and available food source.

But absolutely try one mate, you may be surprised.
Brownie, how do they compare to Gummie, they look like the tail section at least are similar (but yes stumpier)?

And yes, you are what you eat and also where you lay.
Mr Buggatti, I must say they are from a different part of Oz as far as im in the know. Had all sorts of shark/flake but these where I lived were the most mouth smacking lip licking fin things I'd had. Might have been a QLD thing but :-D I was MR fish neighbour in Yeppoon.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Small fish BIG smile

Post by Lightningx » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:39 pm

Brownie wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
Brownie wrote:
Lightningx wrote:Interesting mate! Never knew those things were great eating.
Yeah mate, I won the hearts of my neighbors in Qld giving them fillets of those. Was never knocked back. Some who had never had them after they'd tried it and I'd ask again their eyes would light up with a big "yes please!". Makes sense, they feed on crabs, prawns, shell fish among other things. You are what you eat they say.
Mate I never honestly knew but don’t catch them that often. The last one I caught was quite sometime ago.
Will definitely be taking it home for a feed next time!
Cheers :thumbsup:
Definitely try one mate. I do also believe that fish taste better or worse from two things, geographically, and available food source. I lived in Yeppoon, and the waters were mostly clean and pristine. Few tidal inlets and small creeks that were dictated to by the tides and the beaches. Yeppoon was the closest that the Great Barrier Reef came to land also. So we had access to crazy amounts of fish shore/rock fishing. Those shovels were a delicacy there. But like anywhere mate, lived and fished in a lot of places, environment dictates a lot. I love trout, but have had some seriously rubbish trout that tasted off because of where they lived and what they fed on. Same with Redfin. I reckon a big Reddie is hard to beat eating wise freshwater. But I've caught them in crap water and yep, they tasted crap. That's why after having lived and fished, and no I'm no gun fisho by any means just an average observer, in a number of places that I understand some from one place saying a fish is crap eating and yet in another they say its the ants pants/awesome. But absolutely try one mate, you may be surprised.
No worries will do next time I get one :)
What do you recommend is the best way of cooking the flesh? :P

Return to “South Australia”