Robe to Salt Creek

South Australia Fishing Reports
nooga27

Re: Robe to Salt Creek

Post by nooga27 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:52 pm

Hey mate,
Ive done quite a lot of fishing at Salt Creek and have been up the beach a few times with Adam who runs the roadhouse there. Which counted from some serious serious success. He got me my first ever mulloway after years of trying and we ended up catching 30 fish in a day, haha. There is a stupid amount of mullies there, and can be in very very close!

The entrance at Tea Tree can be very very tough and Adam spends half his life towing people out as so many people get stuck there. He’s pretty active on Facebook so you could just shoot him a message and tell him what rig you have and see what he thinks. Salt Creek Roadhouse is the page.

If you can find a way to get up on the beach there it is bloody well worth it. Just make sure you get as much info from the guys at the Roadhouse as you can - on rigs, etc.

Feel free to PM for more info!

Cheers
Nick
Red sky at night, Fisherman's delight

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:17 pm

nooga27 wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:52 pm
Hey mate,
Ive done quite a lot of fishing at Salt Creek and have been up the beach a few times with Adam who runs the roadhouse there. Which counted from some serious serious success. He got me my first ever mulloway after years of trying and we ended up catching 30 fish in a day, haha. There is a stupid amount of mullies there, and can be in very very close!

The entrance at Tea Tree can be very very tough and Adam spends half his life towing people out as so many people get stuck there. He’s pretty active on Facebook so you could just shoot him a message and tell him what rig you have and see what he thinks. Salt Creek Roadhouse is the page.

If you can find a way to get up on the beach there it is bloody well worth it. Just make sure you get as much info from the guys at the Roadhouse as you can - on rigs, etc.

Feel free to PM for more info!

Cheers
Nick
Legend! Cheers for the info.

Misheen

Post by Misheen » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:18 am

Take some Vic calamari also, gun bait over there.

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:12 am

Misheen wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:18 am
Take some Vic calamari also, gun bait over there.
I plan on doing a welshpool squid run just before it :tu:

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:27 pm

Kimmy, The Don has spoken. He's my sensible 4x4 guy and my Surf guy , , , , and as a good boyfriend, he has always got me home without incident and with a great time had, including fish.
The Don.PNG
The Don.PNG (228.66 KiB) Viewed 2810 times

Don has read the posts and dittos nooga27's post.

Salt Creek is Mullie Central for SA and there are heaps, if fished right (season, time, weather, bait, rigs etc etc). AND that allure is what makes some Fishos make bad judgement calls getting there and while they are there.

A few things Don has said has spurred my memory AND things I was unaware he did, even though I was with him at the time.

* The sand is coarse and soft and you sink in it. That's on a good day. If the weather or other 4x4s have chewed it up, then it is worse.
* Two things I didn't realise Don did but do remember the times. He never turns up there at night. He likes daytime visibility to see the place for the first arrival. ALSO, there have been many times where he/we have fished where he could safely get to (and back from) rather than where he/we would have preferred to have gone.
* He doesn't recommend in any way, anything other than a 4x4. I have a Territory AWD and says he wouldn't "risk it" with that because he has seen the consequences.
* Also the Tea Tree crossing is often a water crossing, can be done but he prefers to go to 42 mile crossing (not 28 mile crossing as I thought) but it's a dry crossing.

PLUS, in case you may not have been aware. A permit is required as it is a Nation Park, which apparently is done on line now, in lieu of the envelope in the box at the hut thing, which might still be there but check online just in case.

On another note. Talking about it all , , , ,
we are organising a trip to Salt Creek after Christmas, woohoo :bn: :bn:

Cheers, Bugatti

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:43 pm

SC1.PNG
SC2 Snatch Strap.PNG
Just occurred to me, seeing other photos on this thread.

These two photos aren't us, but photos are off some of the "crossing" Youtube videos, to highlight the conditions.

:-D
Last edited by Bugatti on Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:54 pm

Thanks bugs, I'll soak it all in when I get a chance. I got fish to catch right now!

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:55 pm

Loving that desktop background though!

canned_tuna
Has liked: 15 times

Post by canned_tuna » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:56 pm

On the beach kimmy 3 things are your friends 1.correct tyre pressure (《25psi) 2. Clearance under the car 3. Momentum, if you slow down you will get stuck in soft sand. Try to turn down a beach and not up it. Face downwards for an easy take off when leaving

CannonsJS
Has liked: 70 times

Post by CannonsJS » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:11 am

FWIW. It's definitely doable if the conditions are right. I dropped my tyres to ~10psi all round to get up the big dune after at Ti Tree Crossing and once on the beach looked for a suitable spot to base camp. Definitely worth the effort to drag the camper in on that occasion.

Return to “South Australia”