Robe to Salt Creek

South Australia Fishing Reports
Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Re: Robe to Salt Creek

Post by Kimtown » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:24 am

CannonsJS wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:11 am
FWIW. It's definitely doable if the conditions are right. I dropped my tyres to ~10psi all round to get up the big dune after at Ti Tree Crossing and once on the beach looked for a suitable spot to base camp. Definitely worth the effort to drag the camper in on that occasion.
What were you towing that with?

CannonsJS
Has liked: 70 times

Post by CannonsJS » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:56 am

Kimtown wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:24 am
What were you towing that with?
I had a Mitsubishi Challenger at the time. I failed on the first attempt, but with the rear diff lock and some maxtrax on a bit of a jump up we managed to get to the top. Once on the beach we were looking for the closest camp site, I didn't want to risk getting stuck on the beach with an incoming tide towing the camper. It sounds like we were lucky with the condition of the track.
Here we are on the way back out.

CannonsJS

Post by CannonsJS » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:24 am

This was our first attempt. But at least if you fail on a dune, you can just back down and have another go. The beach is much scarier.Image

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:30 am

CannonsJS wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:24 am
This was our first attempt. But at least if you fail on a dune, you can just back down and have another go. The beach is much scarier.Image
SUV version of my rig

CannonsJS

Post by CannonsJS » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:57 am

Cool. Just make sure ASC is OFF when you're in the sand and follow the rest of the advice given in the thread and you'll be fine.

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:10 pm

CannonsJS wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:57 am
Cool. Just make sure ASC is OFF when you're in the sand and follow the rest of the advice given in the thread and you'll be fine.
I don't think my Triton has asc, unless you mean traction control?

She's missing a few buttons haha

canned_tuna
Has liked: 15 times

Post by canned_tuna » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:07 pm

Kimmy, i have the triton and as useless as they are for everything else they are great on the sand. Yes traction control must be turned off otherwise the car will keep trying to correct itself and bog you down

CannonsJS

Post by CannonsJS » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:24 pm

Yep, that's the one. All cars sold in VIC from Jan 2011 onward have to have Stability Control, so yours definitely has it and that is the button to turn it off. Traction control is always on in the Triton, unless you have a model with a rear diff lock. When the diff lock is engaged it turns off traction control automatically.
Anyway the key point is that you make sure the "ASC OFF" light is showing on your instrument cluster before you hit the sand. If not, you are likely to bog down as it can limit engine power when the wheels start to spin.

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:57 pm

canned_tuna wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:07 pm
Kimmy, i have the triton and as useless as they are for everything else they are great on the sand. Yes traction control must be turned off otherwise the car will keep trying to correct itself and bog you down
:o_0:

I like my Triton. It's really really good for towing compared to a lot of other utes in the same class, which is all I really need it for :(

Also, my traction control button seems to do nothing when I press it? nothing noticeable anyway? If I'm losing traction, and press it, will it do something? Or should there be a light on the dash coming up regardless of whether my wheels are spinning or not?
CannonsJS wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:24 pm
Yep, that's the one. All cars sold in VIC from Jan 2011 onward have to have Stability Control, so yours definitely has it and that is the button to turn it off. Traction control is always on in the Triton, unless you have a model with a rear diff lock. When the diff lock is engaged it turns off traction control automatically.
Anyway the key point is that you make sure the "ASC OFF" light is showing on your instrument cluster before you hit the sand. If not, you are likely to bog down as it can limit engine power when the wheels start to spin.
Ah this kind of answers my previous question. AFAIK it doesn't have a locked rear diff, mini spool, LSD or anything of the sort but I will do a little more research into that as I'm not positive.

But when I press that on road nothing happens at all.. faulty button?

CannonsJS

Post by CannonsJS » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:14 pm

Kimtown wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:57 pm
But when I press that on road nothing happens at all.. faulty button?
Need to press and hold for a few seconds and be doing < 80km/h.

Depends on the model and year whether or not you have the rear diff lock. If you haven't noticed the button in the centre consol then probably not.

Return to “South Australia”