Christmas Luck - Mackerel, Squid and Sea Sickness on telescopic rods

South Australia Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Re: Christmas Luck - Mackerel, Squid and Sea Sickness on telescopic rods

Post by meppstas » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:54 pm

Top report and thanks for sharing it as it brought back some good memories, being an ex Sth Aussie you can't beat a feed of bluey's that's for sure.. used to love going to Gawler Beach, Middle Beach etc raking them on the sand flats on the out going & incoming tides.. I'm surprised you didn't get onto a few tommies, gar & KGW as well..

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Aimless
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Aimless » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:48 pm

meppstas wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:54 pm
Top report and thanks for sharing it as it brought back some good memories, being an ex Sth Aussie you can't beat a feed of bluey's that's for sure.. used to love going to Gawler Beach, Middle Beach etc raking them on the sand flats on the out going & incoming tides.. I'm surprised you didn't get onto a few tommies, gar & KGW as well..

cheers
Adrian
Yeah 100%! I am keen to move back honestly, probably a downgrade for work but easier access to great fishing and in the end what really matters! :-D

I forgot to mention we headed down to Gawler for some cockling as well. Can't believe how busy it is down there now, so many new houses built up around that area and Pt Elliott. Had a go at fishing at the same time but nothing was hitting my plastics, surf and wind was bad anyway. Went home with about 50 big pippies after an hour, they were out deeper and fewer than some other years recently. I cook them up too and the parents kept some as bait. Last year I think we had hundreds after half an hour, I don't like taking so many though. I have been wondering if there's any cockling to be done in Victoria, I am pretty clueless over here.

As for other species - down at the Bluff some guys rocked up with a burley bucket for the tommies, there were loads of them swimming around but none would take any bait. I bought some from the market and cooked them up on my brother's charcoal BBQ and god, best fish I've eaten in ages honestly. Just simply butterflied with some salt and oil. Cheap as chips as well.

As for gar and KGW, that was the hope down Yorke's way but the weather was just too bad to have a proper go at it. Supposedly Autumn is the time to go, flat calm and fish everywhere. They get unbelievably big KGW over there. It was really nice wading around and just seeing all the sea life though, even with the road weather there were rays and little schools of fish everywhere.

Actually one of my wading attempts was ruined because a neighbour's dog took my fishing rod for a stick he should try and grab hold of, and my burley bucket + float as a ball to chase around... carnage.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:13 pm

Great report Aimless, on a great few fishing sessions :gj:
And the great thing is that you do it with your wife n parents :tu:

Late Spring, Summer through to early Autumn that whole North Haven area up and down is an awesome fishing area. Some pretty good hauls there too. And as Adrian said, plenty of species there, great bread and butter fish. And those Slimy Mackerel are like mini tuna :sr:

Nothing beats those Blueys, awesome to eat. I noticed your esky of crabs, I put the crabs into a seawater ice slurry and they stay as pristine as they can be. It does make a BIG difference in how full and firm the meat stays.

Well one, loved report , , , , well not all , , , , you could have dropped off a six pack of Blueys as a trade for a six pack of beers :ch:

Cheers, Bugs

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:21 pm

Just a question.

The wife (at the time) and I spent a week down at Marion Bay, great area the bottom of the foot. Took the Skimmer and had a ball with the vast variety of fish and the torpedo size squid too .

Question. There's a bloke there (John from memory who has two sons but my memory does fail me) who had Four Winds Charters. Mates and I also went on a trip too. He did sell it to someone, so not him. This bloke was a Commercial Cray Fishermen, re decked his Cray Boat for Charters and leased out his Cray Pots.
He's one absolutely top bloke, spent a few times with him chatting away when we've been down that way (but that was years back). I heard he wasn't doing too well (way back).

Do you or your Parents know him, or of him? was wondering how he is fairing.

Cheers, Bugatti

Aimless
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Aimless » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:20 am

Bugatti wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:21 pm
Just a question.

The wife (at the time) and I spent a week down at Marion Bay, great area the bottom of the foot. Took the Skimmer and had a ball with the vast variety of fish and the torpedo size squid too .

Question. There's a bloke there (John from memory who has two sons but my memory does fail me) who had Four Winds Charters. Mates and I also went on a trip too. He did sell it to someone, so not him. This bloke was a Commercial Cray Fishermen, re decked his Cray Boat for Charters and leased out his Cray Pots.
He's one absolutely top bloke, spent a few times with him chatting away when we've been down that way (but that was years back). I heard he wasn't doing too well (way back).

Do you or your Parents know him, or of him? was wondering how he is fairing.

Cheers, Bugatti
Thanks for reading again Bug.

Where do you usually go fishing from? Lucky here to just be 15 minutes or so from North Haven, I was getting a bit tired of driving an hour each way outta Melbourne to get a line in the water haha.

Is it John you're after or the guy he sold his boat to? I can't say I know either but I will ask my parents, they have been going all the time for years. But not sure they ever took a charter out there.

I think all those guys would be suffering a bit... the snapper ban (while a good thing in the long run!) would have hit them, and now obviously no business with Corona.

Lot of characters down that way anyway.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:10 pm

Aimless, the bloke who sold it years back. And I heard years back a snippet (could be and hopefully false) that he personally wasn't doing too well.
Nice bloke

Cheers, Bugs

Return to “South Australia”