A day on the water - SA

South Australia Fishing Reports
Bugatti

Re: A day on the water - SA

Post by Bugatti » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:31 pm

Woohoo , , , , PB Squid :tu:

Another great report Aimless, and a good productive session , , , , nothing less with you :gj:

I'm similar, I prefer to boil the crabs , , , , eat them or dd them to a dish and cook them in the dish, already cooked. A bloke in SA has aa awesome crab cake (patties) recipe and I've made them many times.

But your dishes look absolutely great. I love the trick of how you BBQ squid, gonna give that a go.

Love ya work :tu:

Cheers, Bugs

Aimless
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Aimless » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:14 am

Bugatti wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:31 pm

Another great report Aimless, and a good productive session , , , , nothing less with you :gj:

I'm similar, I prefer to boil the crabs , , , , eat them or dd them to a dish and cook them in the dish, already cooked. A bloke in SA has aa awesome crab cake (patties) recipe and I've made them many times.

But your dishes look absolutely great. I love the trick of how you BBQ squid, gonna give that a go.

Cheers, Bugs
Hey Bug, thanks for reading.

I've always boiled the crabs... makes it quick and easy to process them all at once.

That said I have been meaning to do a test sometime. I've heard a few people swear by steaming as they reckon it captures the flavour better. I have just never been prepared enough to give a go. Also had BBQ'ed blue swimmers years ago and I can't even remember what they were like. Then you have the Southern US crab boils, done in vinegar and all that...

So, I guess my point is, next time I'll sort myself out ahead of time, taste test them all and report back!

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:08 pm

dmck wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:44 pm
I would be but for a broken leg
Sorry to hear Don, wish you a speedy recovery

Regards, Bill

dmck
Has liked: 35 times

Post by dmck » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:35 pm

THanks Bill,
I find out in 2 weeks if the plaster/moon boot can come off.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:16 pm

dmck wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:35 pm
THanks Bill,
I find out in 2 weeks if the plaster/moon boot can come off.
🤞

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Post by VooDoo » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:54 pm

Aimless wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:14 am
Bugatti wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:31 pm

Cheers, Bugs
Hey Bug, thanks for reading.

I've always boiled the crabs... makes it quick and easy to process them all at once.

That said I have been meaning to do a test sometime. I've heard a few people swear by steaming as they reckon it captures the flavour better. I have just never been prepared enough to give a go. Also had BBQ'ed blue swimmers years ago and I can't even remember what they were like. Then you have the Southern US crab boils, done in vinegar and all that...

So, I guess my point is, next time I'll sort myself out ahead of time, taste test them all and report back!
Steam only - it will retain the sweetness and taste of the crabs instead of being diluted by dunking the crabs in boiling water.

Send some over here and i will steam them, taste them and will post back on here how good they are :)

It is criminal that we paid top notch $$$$ here for blue swimmers and mud crabs when the crow-eaters and northerners can just grab some from their back yard !!!

I personally blaming it on Comrade Dan The Man :dn:

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

Aimless
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Aimless » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:06 am

VooDoo wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:54 pm
Steam only - it will retain the sweetness and taste of the crabs instead of being diluted by dunking the crabs in boiling water.

Send some over here and i will steam them, taste them and will post back on here how good they are :)

It is criminal that we paid top notch $$$$ here for blue swimmers and mud crabs when the crow-eaters and northerners can just grab some from their back yard !!!

How long do you steam them for VooDoo? I am guessing my usual crab pot with a big metal steaming rack or bowl in top will do the job. Don't want to cover my nice bamboo ones in crab juice! :te:

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Post by VooDoo » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:27 am

Aimless wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:06 am
VooDoo wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:54 pm

How long do you steam them for VooDoo? I am guessing my usual crab pot with a big metal steaming rack or bowl in top will do the job. Don't want to cover my nice bamboo ones in crab juice! :te:
Good question Aimless, the better half usually does the steaming :)

She reckons it's between 5-10 mins depending on the size and amount of the crabs in the pot - can always try one and see if it is done. Just remember not to over cooked it (as with anything)

Normally we would have a pot, a ceramic bowl at bottom with a metal steaming rack on top of the bowl. The bowl is there to raise the crabs off the bottom of the pot. If you are in the bush and haven't got a steaming rack, just have the water enough to produce the steaming effect - needed to be more vigilant and make sure there's always some water in the pot otherwise you will loose some crabs at the bottom due to the burning/charcoal effect.

Agreed - keep your nice bamboo ones for other dishes. Crab juice is awesome when indulging them but it sure ain't a pleasant smell if still linger there a week afterward.

Mouth watering just typing this out for you - NOT HAPPY DAN!!!! :)

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

Return to “South Australia”