Fishing Maribyrnong river at Brinkbank Park.

The Fishing Victoria Forum is Australia's leading online fishing forum with comprehensive resources for Victorian fishermen, anglers and fishos. Check out the latest fishing & tackle news, tips, fishing reports and detailed fish information.
benadams26

Re: Fishing Maribyrnong river at Brinkbank Park.

Post by benadams26 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:35 pm

Charles7 wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:27 pm
The nong down at Canning Reserve in Avondale Heights is great for bream fishing, most fish are undersized but there's a few keepers among them. If this falls within your 15km radius I'd suggest giving that a go, prawns or pilchard for bait.
Canning reserve is the oval down the bottom of the hill isnt it? And do you mean the little jetty that is down by the river there? I think it is in my 15km, so definitely might head down and give it a shot. Appreciate the suggestion, I definitely might go!

benadams26

Post by benadams26 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:38 pm

Sebb wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:34 pm
benadams26 wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:25 pm

The murray is really like that? Cause to be honest as I am sort of newer I just want to get out and find a place where I can catch fish with a bit more ease. I want to practice timing the strike right and fighting the fish, and I also don't mind what I catch, cause I release anyway (excluding carp). SO if either of you have good recommendations on the west side of Melbounre for any other good places, I would appreciate it.
Carp fishing can be hit and miss.
Some days in summer can be very easy, some days are very hard. Getting a lot of nibbles but no hookups can also happen.

I have better catching rate doing beam fishing with bait than carp.
Fish the Nong furhet downstream, yarra, or Docklands. Depends how far can you go.
A lot of bream from Highpoint downstream all the way to warmies.
Peeled raw prawn, running sinker rig, #2 hook, thinnest line possible especially if the water is clear (you get more bites with thinner line but it'll break easier than thicker line).
And burley burley burley. Sloth's burley recipe.
Or just breadcrumbs, a bit of tuna oil and some water, will do too.

Before this lockdown stuff, I fished Nong, yarra and dock a lot.
I was definitely looking to head down to around highpoint area and give that a shot. I was looking to go down to canning reserve as I have heard thats a pretty nice spot down there. Never gone to fish specifically for bream, but it'll be a good time.

Sebb
Has liked: 3008 times

Post by Sebb » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:55 pm

benadams26 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:38 pm
I was definitely looking to head down to around highpoint area and give that a shot. I was looking to go down to canning reserve as I have heard thats a pretty nice spot down there. Never gone to fish specifically for bream, but it'll be a good time.
Good luck :tu:
If the water is chocolate, it can be hard but not impossible. When it looks like a flood mudslide is when it's impossible.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Charles7
Has liked: 98 times

Post by Charles7 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:57 pm

benadams26 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:35 pm
Charles7 wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:27 pm
The nong down at Canning Reserve in Avondale Heights is great for bream fishing, most fish are undersized but there's a few keepers among them. If this falls within your 15km radius I'd suggest giving that a go, prawns or pilchard for bait.
Canning reserve is the oval down the bottom of the hill isnt it? And do you mean the little jetty that is down by the river there? I think it is in my 15km, so definitely might head down and give it a shot. Appreciate the suggestion, I definitely might go!
You can try the jetty but I like to fish under the road bridge casting near the pylons. I suggest you go around high tide to give yourself the best chance and if it rains, maybe give it a few days or a week to settle down first. Running sinker rig as others have suggested, I personally prefer #8 to #12 hooks, and, most importantly, hold the rod because the bites will come quick and you'll need to be ready to strike 95% of the time. The odd keeper will snaffle your bait from time to time and set your rod bouncing without you lifting a finger, but those smaller ones will keep stripping your bait until you run out if you're not alert.

Return to “Welcome to Fishing Victoria”