HELP Bimini advice

The Fishing Victoria Forum is Australia's leading online fishing forum with comprehensive resources for Victorian fishermen, anglers and fishos. Check out the latest fishing & tackle news, tips, fishing reports and detailed fish information.
dlock99

HELP Bimini advice

Post by dlock99 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:16 am

Hi Lads,

I have a 5.1 meter runabout cruisecraft raider 166, I want some advice or thoughts on what bimini to get.
I have been thinking one that I can stand under with rocket launchers which needs to be about 1200mm high from fixing point to underside of bimini. Height from floor to gunnel is 690mm
I have told by others that tall bimini (with clears on especially) will blow the boat around too much. Thoughts?
I want the option to stand while driving, I have seen in pictures the front of the bimini is set back abit from the windscreen, is there enough room to pop your head out when installed that way?

I have attached a photo of the same model boat with a setup similar to what I was going to do you could stand under this one but is it going to be like a sailboat?

I want to start going offshore a bit more from Barwon Heads do the clears make much of a difference?
One last thing where should the bimini be attached? In the low part of the gunnel?
On the top of the gunnel inline with the windscreen?
Or even on the outside edge of the gunnel?

Any advice would be welcome cheers Dave.
Attachments
s-l800.jpg

Gultch78
Has liked: 312 times

Re: HELP Bimini advice

Post by Gultch78 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:44 am

I would speak to avtek covers in cranbourne they will steer you in right direction .
Also wind will move you around a lot with bimini and clears you will need good anchor , learn how to bridle and a drogue depending on your fishing style
I was a premium member before it was cool #aheadofthepack

dlock99

Post by dlock99 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:50 am

thanks I have a large drogue a mate made me opens to about 1.5 meters, works well, and I have been using a bridle also. Its a hassle anchoring from my boat as cannot walk through to bow. I have only anchored in 15m max depth so far and used anchor retrial buoy with some success and pull anchor in side of boat.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:22 pm

i have a stainless one i can stand under without ducking

looks stupid as all hell, but it's damn practical. i'll let you know who makes it tomorrow when i have a look.

solution to prevent wind catch is to just take the clears up, or open the front... a lot of the times it does more good than it does harm, and helps for faster drifts for flatties and squid.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:24 pm

also that's a awesome looking wrap on your boat. who did that?

dlock99

Post by dlock99 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:43 pm

I wish it was my boat, mine is still that lovely orange colour (yuk) I can try find out where he got it done. Agree it looks good alright.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:50 pm

Clears do act like a sail, but then so does an enclosed cabin.

A plus is that they keep you dry in wet conditions and inhibit the wind making is a little warmer.

On the negative, they act like an oven in summer or warm weather. but where a enclosed cabin has limited ventilation, clears can be removed. and act like sails, which mainly is a problem when trying to drive onto your trailer.

Return to “Welcome to Fishing Victoria”