Any Jarvis Walker experts?

The Fishing Victoria Forum is Australia's leading online fishing forum with comprehensive resources for Victorian fishermen, anglers and fishos. Check out the latest fishing & tackle news, tips, fishing reports and detailed fish information.
Captain CrayCray

Any Jarvis Walker experts?

Post by Captain CrayCray » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:41 pm

Hi all,
I collect old rods and have started getting a good collection up mixed with vintage Ugly Stik, Butterworth and JW.....Had the most unusual find today with 2 Jarvvis Walker vintage 3 foot boat rods....I didnt even know these rods existed until today and I cant find any info on them....What has me excited about this find is that there is a black and green one, and a black and red one...the black/red one is labled as "Black Queen"....Ive loved JW Black Queens since I was a boy, I have a dozen different variations of them and until today I assumned they were only made in one shape..

Anyone ewer seen or heard of these mini versions of Black Queen? or anyone know where I can find more info?

I thought at first they may be custom rods, re-done old rods used as boat rods etc because these rods look like they are re purposed butt ends....but they taper and the eye wraps are mint. they look like new....Thee eyes are color matched with fuji green/black like Ugly Stik on the green rod and the 70's red/white guides on the Black Queen...first time Ive seen either eye type JW rods of this age..

Any old salts out there on this forim see these back in the day?

Tackleberry
Has liked: 289 times

Re: Any Jarvis Walker experts?

Post by Tackleberry » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:12 pm

I don't think the guides are genuine as the old black queens were coke colored
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

gregmaka
Has liked: 97 times

Post by gregmaka » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:21 pm

Hi captain ,not sure if i have what your looking for but my father has some heavy green jarvis walker old rod that is still his favorite Whiting rod,not sure about the rings/eyes,but can have a look at his collection when i visit for Christmas lunch.

Tackleberry
Has liked: 289 times

Post by Tackleberry » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:51 pm

If it's about 7' long sounds like a Clarence
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

Fishbref
Has liked: 41 times

Post by Fishbref » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:22 am

Butterworth; wow, been a while since I stewed over getting one at O'Reillys way back when...

Captain CrayCray

Post by Captain CrayCray » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:45 am

Tackleberry wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:12 pm
I don't think the guides are genuine as the old black queens were coke colored
I thought that too but the bindings are way too good to be a fishing store redo, and if it were I'd see where they moved the guide, the large guide is only inches from the handle and all 3 guides, including the tip are the same size round about....I thought maybe I'd never seen these types of guides used prior because they were only used on boat rods maybe...never seen a JW boat rod so I cant compare....If its not original its a bloody top job been done on it....The place I got it got it from an estate sale and with them I got what i assume is a JW fly rod...half the sticker gone so cant quite tell...its got Agate eyes and is a lot older than any other rod I have, had a 1933 reel on it....All 3 for 60...I'm guessing they're woth 5X that for rarity alone.

Captain CrayCray

Post by Captain CrayCray » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:46 am

gregmaka wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:21 pm
Hi captain ,not sure if i have what your looking for but my father has some heavy green jarvis walker old rod that is still his favorite Whiting rod,not sure about the rings/eyes,but can have a look at his collection when i visit for Christmas lunch.
Cheers, would be intersting just to find out how many are out there

Captain CrayCray

Post by Captain CrayCray » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:53 am

Tackleberry wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:51 pm
Each rod is 1meter long...likethe bottom half of a black queen but used as a boat rod....Ive got a few clarences and clarence 2's here and nothing like them, though I got an unlabled ugly stick here that has the same bindings as a clarence, too whippy for a clarence though.

The Black Queens came out with a few different eye types, even got made as the "green queen" with green rather than black for the main color....so many variations, I think Ive still got a few to go to collect the whole set.

Captain CrayCray

Post by Captain CrayCray » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:54 am

Captain CrayCray wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:53 am
Tackleberry wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:51 pm
Each rod is 1meter long...likethe bottom half of a black queen but used as a boat rod....Ive got a few clarences and clarence 2's here and nothing like them, though I got an unlabled ugly stick here that has the same bindings as a clarence, too whippy for a clarence though.

The Black Queens came out with a few different eye types, even got made as the "green queen" with green rather than black for the main color....so many variations, I think Ive still got a few to go to collect the whole set.
unlabled black queen, not ugly stik

Captain CrayCray

Post by Captain CrayCray » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:59 am

Ive just noticed that, rather than one piece, that the handles have been hand crafted using individual bottle corks.....this is a very special find I think

Return to “Welcome to Fishing Victoria”