Fishing Maribyrnong river at Brinkbank Park.

The Fishing Victoria Forum is Australia's leading online fishing forum with comprehensive resources for Victorian fishermen, anglers and fishos. Check out the latest fishing & tackle news, tips, fishing reports and detailed fish information.
benadams26

Fishing Maribyrnong river at Brinkbank Park.

Post by benadams26 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:57 pm

Im heading out to the Maribyrnong river next week somewhere around Brimbank park. Im taking one of my mates who has never been fishing before, and I am somewhat of a newbie myself. I am wondering if anyone has any tips of where or how to fish Brimbank. Based off other information I have read, I understand we should be expecting Carp and Reddies. I was going to take bread and corn for the carp, as well as worms for both, and some soft plastic grubs for the reddies. Is this what we should be taking?

I would appreciate any advice on where or how to fish in Brimbank park, and any other useful information or expectations!

Cheers Ben.

Sebb
Has liked: 3011 times

Re: Fishing Maribyrnong river at Brinkbank Park.

Post by Sebb » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:03 pm

benadams26 wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:57 pm
we should be expecting Carp and Reddies. I was going to take bread and corn for the carp, as well as worms for both, and some soft plastic grubs for the reddies. Is this what we should be taking?

Cheers Ben.
Yup, spot on!
Running sinker rig with size #2 hook.
Rod holder.
Camping chairs and a drink or two.

Never fished that area of Nong, but guessing anywhere you drop a line is good. Carp and reddies can be in deep/shallow.
If you're going with two rods, cast one close to the bank and the other further out.

Also make and use burley.
Mix up bread and or bread crumbs, corn kernels, chopped up worms and the soil that comes with the worms, and a bit of water.
Throw a spoon every 10-15 mins or so.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

benadams26

Post by benadams26 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:13 pm

Sebb wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:03 pm
benadams26 wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:57 pm
we should be expecting Carp and Reddies. I was going to take bread and corn for the carp, as well as worms for both, and some soft plastic grubs for the reddies. Is this what we should be taking?

Cheers Ben.
Yup, spot on!
Running sinker rig with size #2 hook.
Rod holder.
Camping chairs and a drink or two.

Never fished that area of Nong, but guessing anywhere you drop a line is good. Carp and reddies can be in deep/shallow.
If you're going with two rods, cast one close to the bank and the other further out.

Also make and use burley.
Mix up bread and or bread crumbs, corn kernels, chopped up worms and the soil that comes with the worms, and a bit of water.
Throw a spoon every 10-15 mins or so.
Appreciate the help Sebb! Being mid September, do you think it might be a bit early for fish to bite? Or do you think we could still have a decent day despite the weather? The day we have picked it 22 degrees and Sunny!

Thanks.

Joker91
Has liked: 111 times

Post by Joker91 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:14 pm

I usually go walking walking in brimbank park but haven’t seen much fishing happening there for years. Last time I fished there was probably 20 years ago.

I am keen to hear a report of how you went. Good luck!!!

benadams26

Post by benadams26 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:35 pm

Joker91 wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:14 pm
I usually go walking walking in brimbank park but haven’t seen much fishing happening there for years. Last time I fished there was probably 20 years ago.

I am keen to hear a report of how you went. Good luck!!!
If you don't see many people fishing maybe they know something I don't! But i'll definitely keep you updated.

Sebb
Has liked: 3011 times

Post by Sebb » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:41 pm

benadams26 wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:13 pm

Appreciate the help Sebb! Being mid September, do you think it might be a bit early for fish to bite? Or do you think we could still have a decent day despite the weather? The day we have picked it 22 degrees and Sunny!

Thanks.
I caught carp and reddies at various time of the year. Water clarity is more to worry than water temp I think.

For reddies, I find the bigger ones get caught in cooler months. Get a lot more reddies in summer but smaller.
Doesn't hurt to try.

Worm is always a good bait in any freshwater at anytime of the year. So if there's fish there, you're in a good chance to get one or two with worm. And burley burley burley.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

canned_tuna
Has liked: 15 times

Post by canned_tuna » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:45 pm

Ben,
I grew up fishing the Nong and Brimbank Park many moons ago and used to fish it coarse style. I fished it all year round and found that the carp wouldnt
start biting until mid Oct. Plenty of eels in September but if I did get carp at this time they would be a good size. As Sebb said burleying is the key, I used to berley hard with bread and bread crumbs and maggots being a standout bait. I fished a fair section of the river over the years from Keilor right through to the EJ Whitten bridge ( which wasnt there). I found the better areas were outside Brimbank Park and I only ever caught two reddies although these have made a return. I havent fished it for over 25 years but enjoy hearing about other fishermens ventures in the area.
On a side note, might be a coincidence but the kid I used to fish with his surname was Adams as well!

benadams26

Post by benadams26 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:09 pm

canned_tuna wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:45 pm
Ben,
I grew up fishing the Nong and Brimbank Park many moons ago and used to fish it coarse style. I fished it all year round and found that the carp wouldnt
start biting until mid Oct. Plenty of eels in September but if I did get carp at this time they would be a good size. As Sebb said burleying is the key, I used to berley hard with bread and bread crumbs and maggots being a standout bait. I fished a fair section of the river over the years from Keilor right through to the EJ Whitten bridge ( which wasnt there). I found the better areas were outside Brimbank Park and I only ever caught two reddies although these have made a return. I havent fished it for over 25 years but enjoy hearing about other fishermens ventures in the area.
On a side note, might be a coincidence but the kid I used to fish with his surname was Adams as well!
Cheers for the reply. Im heading out tomorrow afternoon and was wondering where exactly outside Brimbank you were talking about. We have never been before so we don't know any specific locations. Any help would be appreciated.

canned_tuna
Has liked: 15 times

Post by canned_tuna » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:59 pm

When I say outside of Brimbank I mean areas like Arundel Rd and also under the calder Hwy. And also near the Quarter mile bridge ( Dont know if this still exists!)

benadams26

Post by benadams26 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:03 pm

canned_tuna wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:59 pm
When I say outside of Brimbank I mean areas like Arundel Rd and also under the calder Hwy. And also near the Quarter mile bridge ( Dont know if this still exists!)
Yep, no good. Headed out to Arundel road today. Found a nice little spot and went 3 hours without a bite. Beautiful day but, cant complain.

Return to “Welcome to Fishing Victoria”