Belgrave Lake and Surrounding Streams

Connar98

Belgrave Lake and Surrounding Streams

Post by Connar98 » Mon May 16, 2022 8:21 pm

Iv seen heaps of videos and posts online about the streams and rivers around Belgrave. A lot of the videos and posts are from a while ago so I'm just wondering what that system is like to fish recently? Does anyone know if the streams and rivers around Belgrave have a self sustaining trout population? or can you only catch trout when the fisheries stock the lake?

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Belgrave Lake and Surrounding Streams

Post by 4liters » Mon May 16, 2022 8:40 pm

I'd imagine trout are quite happy breeding in those little streams, it's not much different to the trout streams in the dividing range. I doubt they'd ever get to any great size though.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Connar98

Post by Connar98 » Mon May 16, 2022 8:53 pm

I'd imagine so as well.

Not after stonker sized trout, just would like somewhere close to Melbourne that I could flick a few lures around.

Cheers

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Tue May 17, 2022 4:44 pm

Does Belgrave lake get stocked?

But yes. All the little streams throughout the majority of the Dandenongs hold a self sustaining population of small browns.

Here's an ancient video shot not too far from where you're talking about. Probably the last time I took a gopro fishing.

https://youtu.be/D22yozkKMto

Took my young fella back to this same area last year and pulled a stonker for the area. Mid 30's. Most fish I'd caught there were in the low 20's.

Recommend the strike pro baby archback and smelta in that area. You want a really small profile. The pools aren't much deeper than 40cm and the runs are very shallow.

Return to “Yarra Valley and surrounds”