no joy in Yarra Glen and frustration in Spadonis Reserve

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

no joy in Yarra Glen and frustration in Spadonis Reserve

Post by ChrisD » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:16 am

Decided to head out last night before the heat came in today.
Started off in Yarra Glen, where the footy field is, and worked my way back to the bridge. Worms and spinners.
The good news was I didn't loss a single spinner, even got snagged a couple of times and managed to get them back.....bad news was no fish on spinners or worms, not even a touch. This was my third trip to this section of water and I am yet to get so much as a bite......not sure there will be a fourth trip.
Anyway gave up on that area and was heading home but decided there was enough time for a quick session, before dark, at Spadonis Reserve.
Decided not to worry about spinners and went two lines with bait. Within minutes of lines in water the bites were coming, small at first resulting in one small mac perch. Then just on dusk the hits were huge, dead calm then bang the rod would double over in the rod holder. I would start reeling in and then snag....bugger....and then bust off. Load up the hook again and out and the same result.....grrrrr. The next time it happened I put the rod back in the holder and opened the bail, once I saw lines moving off I struck again and yeap back into the snag and bust off. Suspect it was bloody eels striking hard and then getting a good hold in the snags.
Anyway after 7 bust offs and with dark pretty well setting in decided to call it quits.
So one small mac for the trip......still better then nothing.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: no joy in Yarra Glen and frustration in Spadonis Reserve

Post by Lightningx » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:42 am

That can be very frustrating! I know the feeling but like you said, something is always better than nothing :)

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:12 pm

the blackfish i caught last night were hitting in exactly the same way...

simon2g

Post by simon2g » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:44 pm

Spadoni reserve always does that to me, very snaggy place there. Theres a little area near the steps i like to sit. But very very close to snags

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Post by ChrisD » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:49 pm

I would have been surprised if they were blackfish that far down river...but may be wrong. I think eels were the more likely culprit.
I was sitting on the steps casting into the bend, normally I fish further up but decided the steps looked like a good option. It is an interesting stretch of the river to fish, snaggy, narrow .....and somedays with model aircraft flying over head and guns at the gun club going off........overall access is not great, like so much of the yarra there are alot of high, under cut banks that I keep right away from. level or close to level water access is limited.

Berto

Post by Berto » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:21 am

....i threw a line in yesterday morning at Spadoni's for a few hours and only got one nibble....frustrating.
Do you guys use sinkers when fishing the river there? I was throwing in unweighted scrub worms and letting them drift till the current pulled them in close to the logs. i was also trying my luck with a spinner, but doughnuts....
I was surprised how strong the current was.

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:46 am

Years ago when reddies were abundant in the Yarra we fished there at Spadonis with worms weighted with splitshot and had a feed in no time. The Olinda Creek was also good for them then, cheers davo.
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Fishomicko

Post by Fishomicko » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:32 am

I never had much luck down at spadonis reserve think I gave up after a few donuts down at Yarra Glen I used to pull a heap of carp out of there and that's about it heard of yellas around there but never seen one.cheers mick

Return to “Yarra Valley and surrounds”