Surface cod

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Surface cod

Post by happyfriggincamper » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:51 pm

Ive had 4 donut lure sessions this season on the yarra (including a donut bait fishing session), so confidence and general will to put in the effort to go out and keep cracking at it has been down (not to mention limited time availability right now + everytime ive had time the yarras been dirty/high/fast). But the stars seemed to align a little on the conditions and availability front, so i decided to take advantage of the super hot friday turning into storms (ie. dropping barometer) to see if i could get a touch.

I headed to a section that's i thought would suit the conditions best and left all the sub surface lures at home to concentrate on surface only. Session started slogging through the bush (in 40+ deg) to get away from the car, stopping occasionally to work the better looking pools. One of these stops, i got a small boof on the first handle turn after the drop. Paused, worked and reworked the area for no other action. At least i had more action than the prior 4 trips - meaning the trip was already a success of sorts.

Reached my point of cbf'd sweating and scratching my way through the tea trees in 40deg and started methodically working the water back to the car as dusk and night was falling. Just on dusk - i got a 2nd boof, again paused, worked and reworked the area and got no further signs of interest. But i was now setting a record with 2 boofs in the same trip - definitely worth the effort now haha.

A few more sections down, i found a small backwater and started working it, about 6 casts in and with the cod cracker a few feet away from me the water unexpectedly exploded - a split second i felt weight; the next split second i felt none and the rage started rising; the next split second i felt weight again, rage turned to exhilaration and it was a quick lift to get the fish to the bank. Finally, first yarra cod on surface - prior to this id had 2 boofs to my name over about 10+ trips.

No measure, but guesstimate close to either side of 50cm with a little bit of a pot belly on this one. Quick snap and back into the water.

Rain hit about 11pm and made my way back to the car slowly - the already tough walk was even more difficult now as it was dark, raining and these large spiders and even larger webs (covering most of the vague track) were out in force making it a jumpy walk back for every rogue leaf that happened to fall down the back of my shirt haha
DSC_1994.JPG
DSC_1996.JPG
DSC_1992.JPG
Cheers, Chris

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Re: Surface cod

Post by davek » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:23 pm

Nice fish, well done, orb spiders (I think) the buggers are everywhere up here, cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Sebb
Has liked: 2999 times

Post by Sebb » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:08 am

I'm jealous!
Me need cod on surface cure!
XD

Someone's been pouring VB to the river, look at that cod, skinny tail yet a big pot belly. :rf:
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:18 am

Good work mate! It all ends up being worth it once you land that fish you're looking for.

Anth

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:09 pm

Damn nice fish Chris & great report
Those orb spiders are big, ugly, but, harmless
I'm having shivers thinking of one down the back of a shirt
Gra

ronan
Has liked: 91 times

Post by ronan » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:24 pm

very nice cod mate, I'd love to target them but I don't have a functioning rod that can hold cod lures

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 797 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:46 pm

That's a great effort considering those giant spiders :o_0:

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:57 pm

Well done persistence pays off.

One thing I find with bass is before the light drops completely the shaded banks produce more active fish and earlier surface action. Also have to fish very tight to banks and structure to get results.

Once again we’ll done and thanks for the report Chris it inspires me to get out and have a go.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:12 am

Thanks all for the replies and comments - a lot of yards and other things went into getting that cod on that method in that water - crazy that this was <30m from my current doorstep. Hope the next comes sooner, this season, not 2022 as per the current catch rate.

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 797 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:08 am

rb85 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:57 pm
Well done persistence pays off.

One thing I find with bass is before the light drops completely the shaded banks produce more active fish and earlier surface action. Also have to fish very tight to banks and structure to get results.

Once again we’ll done and thanks for the report Chris it inspires me to get out and have a go.
Can't agree more, most times people cast to the middle and miss where the fish are, EP are the same, right up against the banks and snags

Return to “Yarra Valley and surrounds”