Lilydale Lake - General

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Lilydale Lake - General

Post by ChrisD » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:21 pm

Just so Cornacarpio's thread does not suffer too much "thread drift" - I thought I would just start a generic Lilydale lake thread that we can add to with tips and tricks for fishing this lake.
4liters is right - the lake is mostly just a flat, featureless bottom, about 2m deep apart from the submerged creek channel.
When they drained it a few years back you could see all this fisher people checking it out, myself amongst them. Photo taken at the time, overlooking the outflow and along the wall as below.
There are a couple of main ways to attack the lake - casting out into the old creek bed and/or working the dam wall particularly near the overflow.
After trout are released you can get some around the boat ramp and across to the reeds to the left, but they don't hang round too long.
Yellow Belly were stocked recently so where they will settle is yet to be seen.
If/When cod are stocked - I would guess they will also settle into the old channel.
From past experience and word on the street - there is very little caught in the back section, it is shallow and featureless.
As mentioned in other threads - Lilydale is a tough and challenging lake to fish, but there is success to be had with persistence....and a whole lot of luck.
Thinking on it, it has been a while since I have given it a crack. With the Yarra fishing so poorly at present, maybe I should make a few trips back myself.
:ft:
Attachments
03062012(008).jpg

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Re: Lilydale Lake - General

Post by croe04 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:35 pm

Lilydale lake was where I caught my first fish as a kid, little bows on some powerbait and small spoons. Pretty exciting, but looking back it was always real hard work and we only ever caught a couple from all the trips we put in, also was like an hours drive from us so I don't know why we kept going. To be fair, I didn't know really what I was doing. I was about 8 at the time.
Always used to fish the jetty that was surrounded by reeds, near the boat ramp, and the other one towards the north of the lake. Haven't been back for like 11 years or something.

Cornacarpio
Has liked: 16 times

Post by Cornacarpio » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:22 pm

Not the lake per se, but the creek below it. Was hoping to catch my first Roach (or a mega Carp) but kept getting smashed by these guys every time I put worms on.
Attachments
84180448_579441849303846_8605670664977776640_n.jpg

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:27 pm

Cornacarpio wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:22 pm
Not the lake per se, but the creek below it. Was hoping to catch my first Roach (or a mega Carp) but kept getting smashed by these guys every time I put worms on.
Rig the bastard up and throw it back...
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:08 pm

I've been there few times in the past and somehow the water was always dirty. Caught eel on worm once. Slimy thing and line destroyer.
Is it challenging especially on lures if the water is dirty.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Return to “Yarra Valley and surrounds”