Abalone thieves to be charged over illegal haul

News and media releases from the Department of Primary Industries (DPI)
fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 386 times

Post by fishingvic » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:53 am

Media Release
23 January 2015 | Media contact: Matilda Abey 0427 355 528
http://www.economicdevelopment.vic.gov.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

An anonymous tip-off to the fisheries offence reporting line 13 FISH earlier this month has led to three people allegedly being caught with more than 50 times the daily catch limit for abalone near Mount Eliza.

The group was intercepted by Fisheries Officers at Daveys Bay, between Frankston and Mount Eliza, on 8 January after the 13 FISH caller reported seeing them taking a large quantity of abalone and attempting to sell them on the beach.

The Fisheries Officers observed the group leaving the beach, and intercepted their vehicle on Old Mornington Road where they allegedly found 273 abalone in plastic bags, of which all but 14 were undersize.

The daily catch for abalone in all Victorian waters is five, and the minimum legal length for abalone taken from Port Phillip Bay is 10cm.

The three people allegedly caught with the illegal haul were a 36-year old man from Cranbourne, a 24-year-old man from Frankston and a 22-year-old woman from Frankston.

Fisheries Victoria Officer Chris Thompson said all three people would be charged on summons with a variety of abalone offences.

“The abalone fishery in Port Phillip Bay is placed under a great deal of pressure by these sorts of actions, and Fisheries Victoria rigorously enforces size and catch limits to help preserve local reefs that support abalone,” Mr Thompson said.

“The penalties for taking and possessing commercial quantities of abalone are significant, including jail terms, substantial fines and forfeiture of vehicles and equipment. Offenders can also face lengthy prohibitions on fishing.”

Anybody who sees or suspects illegal fishing activity is urged to call the 24-hour fisheries offence
reporting line 13 FISH (13 3474).

http://economicdevelopment.vic.gov.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Abalone Mount Eliza.JPG
Abalone Mount Eliza.JPG (287.68 KiB) Viewed 958 times

claretone

Re: Abalone thieves to be charged over illegal haul

Post by claretone » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:31 am

I hope they get a decent fine or worse!!!
fisheries should go and have a look at springvale market behind main st on east side.
I went there once and i was amazed of how small the abalone were there. i might just ring up 13 fish.
I work for a bayside council and i see this all the time and have 13 fish on speed dial.
MY WIFE LETS ME BUYS ALL THE FISHING GEAR I CAN HIDE !!

matt1991

Post by matt1991 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:56 am

People are hopeless

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:40 am

Jail time would help
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Post by VooDoo » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:16 am

claretone wrote:I hope they get a decent fine or worse!!!
fisheries should go and have a look at springvale market behind main st on east side.
I went there once and i was amazed of how small the abalone were there. i might just ring up 13 fish.
I work for a bayside council and i see this all the time and have 13 fish on speed dial.
Pretty sure those are not poached abalone but the farmed variety. You're not the first and won't be the last to have noticed it but think they wouldn't be stupid to jeopardise their million investment on some abalone .. I know I wouldn't :)

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:20 am

Do they farm abalone in port phillip bay?

ingeer

Post by ingeer » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:14 am

When I fishing around Williamstown, often see people poaching abalones around Gloucester Reserve (there even a sign of 'not taking shell fish' just alone the breakwater), rang 13fish a couple of times not sure if they got caught..

Return to “Department of Primary Industries / Fisheries”