BOAT SEIZED FOR ILLEGAL CALAMARI CATCHES

News and media releases from the Department of Primary Industries (DPI)
laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Re: BOAT SEIZED FOR ILLEGAL CALAMARI CATCHES

Post by laneends » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:36 pm

skronkman wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:12 pm
So if I catch my bag for the day I can’t catch and release for the rest of the day?
Not sure this is the case if they are released, only if they are not returned. The intent is that you personally cant be responsible for removing anymore (depleting stock) from the environment. After all it is all about depleting stock levels

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:41 pm

I reckon fisheries would need tip offs of repeat offenders to spend their day filming someone for the entire trip. Even then its hard to see exactly what someone on another boat is actually landing. Still surprising in the original post how they managed such a detailed tally.

At the end of the day it will come down to intent and seriousness of any infringement. Some the hypotheticals posted here would belong in the "whatever" pile as far as fisheries where concerned. On a typical boat say fishing for flatties or whiting with everyone tossing their catch in a common cooler, folks probably would loose count on actual numbers caught per person

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:03 am

laneends wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:41 pm
I reckon fisheries would need tip offs of repeat offenders to spend their day filming someone for the entire trip. Even then its hard to see exactly what someone on another boat is actually landing. Still surprising in the original post how they managed such a detailed tally.

At the end of the day it will come down to intent and seriousness of any infringement. Some the hypotheticals posted here would belong in the "whatever" pile as far as fisheries where concerned. On a typical boat say fishing for flatties or whiting with everyone tossing their catch in a common cooler, folks probably would loose count on actual numbers caught per person
Yeah that is pretty much how it works in practice. However when you take 2-3 kids out and they sit around playing video game while you catch 6 gummies. Then back at the ramp you claim they caught them, expect to get watched very closely. When fisheries hear about things like that they set up surveillance. Same goes if you start double tripping or pulling in and getting an extra person on board before you get to the ramp.
In the original post the guy was doing it consistently , obviously to supply someone as you can't eat that much.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Robbie1950
Has liked: 213 times

Post by Robbie1950 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:31 am

I am all for fisheries busting people who are taking over the bag limits, poachers and illegal fishers but this rule is just stupid.

I can't tell you how many times I've been out with a friend and we've bagged out on squid. I've caught 12 him 8, or next time him 13 me 7. So someone here is illegal fishing then? I literally don't count how many I've caught, we just ALWAYS make sure we haven't taken more than 20.

And for all the do gooders on this forum. If they say they've been in my situation on a boat and stoped fishing after they've caught there 10 and just sat and watched the other person in the boat. Even though the other person has only 7 in the boat and they can take 3 more. They're full of ****!

Tim399
Has liked: 252 times

Post by Tim399 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:13 am

Although the rule seems over the top for fishos that do the right thing, use common sense and don’t take advantage of our fish stocks, I think the rule is needed, and think you would have to be really unlucky to get pinned for it if you are not exploiting the system. It stops a fisho from buying licenses for their family of 5, having their 4 family members sit on board not interested in fishing and taking home 10 gummies or 100 flathead legally every day. If said person then takes them home legally, and sells it as commercial quantities to restaurants it would be hard to track down and follow, as they would not be dobbed in for illegal activity at the time of fishing in the first place. If fishing like this were legal then the fisho could go out with the 4 non fishing license holders and catch 70 gummies and 700 flathead in a week, as compared to the current regulations of 14 gummies and 140 flathead in a week. A big difference for someone wanting to legally catch fish then illegally cash in on loop holes in the system at our fish stocks expense

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:58 am

Everything re-retyred said :tu:

And Robbie, you are right, fishing with mate's is like The Musketeers "All for one bucket AND one bucket for all". Same happens on Charter Boats. No one is going to get pinged for that,

Tim399 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:13 am
Although the rule seems over the top for fishos that do the right thing, use common sense and don’t take advantage of our fish stocks, I think the rule is needed, and think you would have to be really unlucky to get pinned for it if you are not exploiting the system. It stops a fisho from buying licenses for their family of 5, having their 4 family members sit on board not interested in fishing and taking home 10 gummies or 100 flathead legally every day.
Smack on the money Tim. The rule is needed even simply to highlight the issue of what not to do.

Here in SA we don't have that rule BUT we have that notion, which is a simple concept the Fisheries Officers here enforce. Each Fisher has to be "actively" fishing.

As an example: We spotlight for Garfish. One driver, one on the spotlight, and one on the net (stressing us other two because he keeps missing the big ones). The netter is doing the catching but the other two are actively participating in the fishing.

You guys have just tried putting the words and rule to the common sense. AND I'm sure your Fisheries Officers apply it that way.

Regards, Bugatti

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:26 pm

We always put all fish in a bucket and just mate sure don't take more then we allowed.

Mind you i got pulled up at Bermagui once for having a flathead 2mm under size. We didnt know who put itnin there between the 4 of us so fisheries said I'm the captain it's my fault.
Let me off with a warning
I'm more careful now tho.

BAZZOOK

Post by BAZZOOK » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:03 am

watched a guy on Mornington pier catch over his limit. Had his 4 year old kid with him. The old man had to cast the kids jig out. Kid caught zip. Next time I see something like that I,m ringing Fisheries

repspec
Has liked: 11 times

Post by repspec » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:35 am

"A week later, the man allegedly took eight calamari in the early morning. He returned to the boat ramp to pick up his wife, took another eight, then retrieved his boat and left Queenscliff. In the afternoon, he returned with his wife and allegedly took 17 more calamari, making 33 for the day"

Are people missing this part of the article?
It wasnt that he was over his catch limit, he was also way over his "Daily possession limit"

Effectively, if you reach your possession limit (per person) you cannot keep anymore fish of that type. Even if the other people in your boat may not have their total catch. Your fishing license is for YOU AND YOU ONLY. Who cares about all of you bagging out. More to hang over your mates crap abilities :-D .

I understand that fishing costs money and people are time poor, so if you happen to come across a good school and can all get your bag (everyone can), however within the line of the law, you cannot keep keeping fish, once you are over you bag limit.

fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 386 times

Post by fishingvic » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:04 am

*UPDATE*

Media release

Wednesday 6 November 2019

SECOND CALAMARI BOAT SEIZED AT QUEENSCLIFF

A second boat has been seized by Fisheries Officers in less than a week as Queenscliff’s sizzling calamari season tempts another man to over-indulge and take more than his daily bag limit.

Victorian Fisheries Authority Director of Education and Enforcement Ian Parks said the man from Hillside in Melbourne’s northwest was observed last Thursday allegedly taking more than twice the daily bag limit of 10.

“This is a win for Operation Focus, which is cracking down on illegal fishing for calamari on the Bellarine Peninsula,” Mr Parks said.

“Officers also allegedly watched the man throw back two dead calamari he had previously caught only to replace them with two larger calamari just landed. This is known as ‘high-grading’ and is illegal.

“The man then allegedly gave another person a dead calamari by hooking it onto their jig.

“Soon after, the Hillside man was intercepted by Officers at the Queenscliff boat ramp.

“The man’s aluminium boat, estimated to be worth $6000, calamari and fishing gear were all seized on the spot.

“He will be charged on summons with exceeding the calamari catch limit, failing to return unwanted calamari to the water with the least possible harm, and several marine safety offences.”

Mr Parks emphasised that your catch is your own and you cannot claim them under another person’s daily bag limit who is aboard your boat.

“Our Fisheries Officers are highly trained and use sophisticated state-of-the-art equipment to detect offenders who threaten the sustainability of our fisheries, which belong to all Victorians.”

To report suspicious or illegal fishing activity call 13FISH (133474) anytime. You can remain anonymous. Make the call and make the difference.

Marc Ainsworth

Manager Communications

Victorian Fisheries Authority

219A Main St, Bacchus Marsh, Victoria, 3340

0448 512 213

marc.ainsworth@vfa.vic.gov.au

vfa.vic.gov.au
no rego.png

Return to “Department of Primary Industries / Fisheries”