BOAT SEIZED FOR ILLEGAL CALAMARI CATCHES

News and media releases from the Department of Primary Industries (DPI)
Bugatti

Re: BOAT SEIZED FOR ILLEGAL CALAMARI CATCHES

Post by Bugatti » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:01 am

With Squid season in full swing, nice to see that the Victorian Fishing Authority has got their Fisheries Officers out jigging a few too :tu:

Fisheries.JPG

Cheers, Bugatti

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:17 pm

I wonder if fisheries is using some sort of military based surveillance drones ?
They keep saying they recorded footage of the offences ?
From shore the distance to the boat and the angle would not record to much detail.
But a silent drone from above would get very detailed footage !

Good to see High tech gear used by fisheries for favorable convictions.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:24 pm

hornet wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:17 pm
I wonder if fisheries is using some sort of military based surveillance drones ?
From shore the distance to the boat and the angle would not record to much detail.

Wouldn’t surprise me if they get tip-offs about a particular boat and send out plain clothes officers to follow them and film everything.

I was down at queenscliff over the long weekend and they’ve put up a big lit up sign near the ramp reminding people of the bag limits so it must be a real hot spot for that kind of activity.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

saph
Has liked: 4 times

Post by saph » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:41 pm

hornet wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:17 pm

i bet its just a off the shelf drone watched qld fisherys fly them about when i was out one day with some dude wearing a 'drone operator' high vis vest, those military ones need some big training and you have to log them where the small ones dont need it.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:08 pm

fishingvic wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:04 am
*UPDATE*

Media release

Wednesday 6 November 2019

SECOND CALAMARI BOAT SEIZED AT QUEENSCLIFF

A second boat has been seized by Fisheries Officers in less than a week as Queenscliff’s sizzling calamari season tempts another man to over-indulge and take more than his daily bag limit.

Victorian Fisheries Authority Director of Education and Enforcement Ian Parks said the man from Hillside in Melbourne’s northwest was observed last Thursday allegedly taking more than twice the daily bag limit of 10.

“This is a win for Operation Focus, which is cracking down on illegal fishing for calamari on the Bellarine Peninsula,” Mr Parks said.

“Officers also allegedly watched the man throw back two dead calamari he had previously caught only to replace them with two larger calamari just landed. This is known as ‘high-grading’ and is illegal.

“The man then allegedly gave another person a dead calamari by hooking it onto their jig.

“Soon after, the Hillside man was intercepted by Officers at the Queenscliff boat ramp.

“The man’s aluminium boat, estimated to be worth $6000, calamari and fishing gear were all seized on the spot.

“He will be charged on summons with exceeding the calamari catch limit, failing to return unwanted calamari to the water with the least possible harm, and several marine safety offences.”

Mr Parks emphasised that your catch is your own and you cannot claim them under another person’s daily bag limit who is aboard your boat.

“Our Fisheries Officers are highly trained and use sophisticated state-of-the-art equipment to detect offenders who threaten the sustainability of our fisheries, which belong to all Victorians.”

To report suspicious or illegal fishing activity call 13FISH (133474) anytime. You can remain anonymous. Make the call and make the difference.

Marc Ainsworth

Manager Communications

Victorian Fisheries Authority

219A Main St, Bacchus Marsh, Victoria, 3340

0448 512 213

marc.ainsworth@vfa.vic.gov.au

vfa.vic.gov.au

no rego.png
Good to see people getting caught.
It's a nice boat to loose tho.
Poor him

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:11 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:01 am
With Squid season in full swing, nice to see that the Victorian Fishing Authority has got their Fisheries Officers out jigging a few too :tu:

Fisheries.JPG

Cheers, Bugatti
Is there no end to your talent mate??
Just needs the embalim engraved into to weight and I have t h ink you need to copyright it mate

Return to “Department of Primary Industries / Fisheries”