Ricketts Point Marine Park

News and media releases from the Department of Primary Industries (DPI)
Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Ricketts Point Marine Park

Post by Sebb » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:13 pm

This is from Fisheries. Most fishos do the right thing, but there are people out there who doesn't know or know but still doing it anyway.

For those wondering, we can't wet a line in a marine park. You can go through it but not fishing in it. E.g. I can launch my kayak off the beach, paddle through the marine park, pass the marker before I can wet a line to fish outside the marine park (confirmed with fisheries and vic park). Or use the fisheries app and check 'can I fish here'.

----------------
UPDATE: Illegal Fishing inside Ricketts Point Marine Sanctuary.

It’s clear the vast majority of Victorian fishers do the right thing and don’t fish in marine parks and sanctuaries, however a recent snapper spawning aggregation proved too tempting for these boat fishers who illegally entered and fished the sanctuary at Ricketts Point, near Beaumaris.

Thanks to everyone who contacted us at the time.

To date, Fisheries Officers have issued 80 infringements worth more than $25,000, 4 of which were issued to charter boat operators.

Using drone and surveillance footage captured by Officers, combined with reports from all of you through 13 FISH (13 3474), 45 of the 80 infringement notices went to those we weren’t able to catch up with on the water at the time.

Since the peak, Officers have increased patrols of the area and report very few boats in the park recently.

Every pair of eyes helps, so if you see or suspect illegal fishing, call 13 FISH. You can remain anonymous. Make the call and make the difference.

#13FISH #fisheriesofficersatwork
Attachments
FB_IMG_1608635146188.jpg
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Irishfisherman
Has liked: 237 times

Re: Ricketts Point Marine Park

Post by Irishfisherman » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:55 pm

Sebb wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:13 pm
This is from Fisheries. Most fishos do the right thing, but there are people out there who doesn't know or know but still doing it anyway.

For those wondering, we can't wet a line in a marine park. You can go through it but not fishing in it. E.g. I can launch my kayak off the beach, paddle through the marine park, pass the marker before I can wet a line to fish outside the marine park (confirmed with fisheries and vic park). Or use the fisheries app and check 'can I fish here'.

----------------

It’s clear the vast majority of Victorian fishers do the right thing and don’t fish in marine parks and sanctuaries, however a recent snapper spawning aggregation proved too tempting for these boat fishers who illegally entered and fished the sanctuary at Ricketts Point, near Beaumaris.

To date, Fisheries Officers have issued 80 infringements worth more than $25,000, 4 of which were issued to charter boat operators.

Using drone and surveillance footage captured by Officers, combined with reports from all of you through 13 FISH (13 3474), 45 of the 80 infringement notices went to those we weren’t able to catch up with on the water at the time.

Since the peak, Officers have increased patrols of the area and report very few boats in the park recently.

Every pair of eyes helps, so if you see or suspect illegal fishing, call 13 FISH. You can remain anonymous. Make the call and make the difference.

I can’t believe the charter boats were at it as well, so unprofessional. They definitely should have given more substantial fines to the charter operators as when others see them they may be inclined to follow. Glad to see fisheries putting a stop to it.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:22 am

I saw this on fisheries social media. Guess they got fined accordingly and move on. Don’t know the area or if there’s previous politics in place but don’t want to see rec anglers locked out from many more locations.

Can accept no anchor zones to protect the seabed
Can accept lower catch limits on species if it improves fishing
But no need to lockout anglers completely
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:22 am

Irishfisherman wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:55 pm
Sebb wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:13 pm

----------------

I can’t believe the charter boats were at it as well, so unprofessional. They definitely should have given more substantial fines to the charter operators as when others see them they may be inclined to follow. Glad to see fisheries putting a stop to it.
It's unreel hey.. Just gotta love it...

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:31 am

One or two anchor up & the sheep follow

Return to “Department of Primary Industries / Fisheries”