cape woolami today fri.27th

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

cape woolami today fri.27th

Post by Nude up » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:39 pm

Launched at rhyll with 2 mates 1st stop just out the front of cape woolami in 25mt try and pick up some live bait no live bait but a 54cm flathead on a sabiki rig I thought I had snaged my jig at first. The wind was blowing straight at cape woolami and the waves were reasonable we decide to troll lures an x rap 20 an xrap 30 and a williamson jet popper in the middle. I had a monster mesh jig rod at the ready just in case.
A couple of laps of the cape nothing not a sign we troll out to the pinnacles by now the chop is getting bigger and the wind fresher. At the pinnicles there is signs of fish my mate grabs the jig rod and drops the jig in before we had brought the lures in, here is todays lesson for a new driver always leave the boat in gear when retrieving lures the wind spins the boat and you guessed it all the lines around the prop I quickly lean over and turn the engine off I trim the engine up what a mess, only one thing for it in I go with a knife and cut it all away luckily all the lures were still attached.
By now its pretty choppy one guys had a chuck so I call it quits at the cape and head for a bit of calm water and we drift for flathead and picked up another ripper at 56cm and a few smaller. My 2 mates were still a bit green so we head in stopped at the corals on the way home and got smashed by 30 cm pinkies.
All in all a frustrating day no kingies a swim but ended up with a bag of flathead.
Attachments
14250299511041.jpg
14250299511041.jpg (122.21 KiB) Viewed 1096 times
14250299299940.jpg
14250299299940.jpg (109.64 KiB) Viewed 1096 times

seephil
Has liked: 37 times

Re: cape woolami today fri.27th

Post by seephil » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:47 pm

OMG! Thanks for the advice about keeping the engine in neutral, never thought of that.
That photo looks fake...lol! Size of the bait board, engine in comparison to you Nude up.
Those are some ripper flatties.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:00 pm

Water looks warm.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:07 pm

It was 21.5 degrees trust me it was hard getting in and difficult hanging on to the leg in a 1mt chop I got dunked a few times and ended up stabbing myself in the hand plenty of red wine tonight and everbody learnt something

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:14 pm

seephil wrote:OMG! Thanks for the advice about keeping the engine in neutral, never thought of that.
That photo looks fake...lol! Size of the bait board, engine in comparison to you Nude up.
Those are some ripper flatties.
Those yammies are bloody big motors.

Kings seem to have slowed right off after the mayhem of traffic the other week

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:22 pm

Ouch. Need stiches?
Is that rope tied around your waist for safety?
I'm dreading the day have to jump in the water and untangle, cut off something from the motor.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:23 pm

Geez mate, sounds like a tough day. You're a keen fella jumping in the drink out there, knowing what's lurking. Gotta do what you gotta do I s'pose, but I'm sure you were happy to get back in the boat.
Would livies make all the difference? Are you specifically after slimies or yakkas, or would salmon, mullet, trevally, whiting, be just as effective? If so, it may be easier to catch a few inside, before heading out the front. That way you can start trolling straight away with a mix of livies and lures, and stop on a bait school if you find one during your travels and drop a jig. Just an idea...

tuna tube

Post by tuna tube » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:53 pm

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
how's the hand princess?
Cheers
The Tube

Joker91
Has liked: 111 times

Post by Joker91 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:56 pm

tuna tube wrote::rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
how's the hand princess?
:lolf: I was thinking it would of been nice for a swim today

well good lesson learnt for all thanks nude up, and they are some rippa flattys mate

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:59 pm

bowl wrote:Ouch. Need stiches?
Is that rope tied around your waist for safety?
I'm dreading the day have to jump in the water and untangle, cut off something from the motor.
The rope was just for safety if I lost touch with the boat I could pull myself back it had a fender tied on the end

Redhunter I tried to find some livies inside the other day but could only find leatherjackets, we did find some yaccas but they were miles away we did pick up some slimies in about 25mt just outside the entrance that is where we were targeting. You are right about getting in 3 years ago same spot I had a mako try to bite my engine I was not hanging around and I did tell the guys with me to keep their eyes open and stop laughing at me.
I am thinking of having a battery operated aerator to keep livies overnight we always seem to pick some up later in the day at bermie the nig noats put the livies in cages suspended under the boat overnight.

Return to “Phillip Island”