Cleeland Bight 16/10

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Cleeland Bight 16/10

Post by 4liters » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:33 am

I had initially planned on going to Flinders for some squid, but with the BoM unable to make up it's mind between not windy and very windy I decided to head to Cleeland Bight instead. It seemed a bit more sheltered if the wind was going to be as bad as predicted and the beach would only be a short distance away if I needed to bail out. The plan was to catch some squid for bait, then anchor up near Red Point and fish for whiting.
Launched right on sunrise and tried to troll a couple of HBs as I made my way south, but there was a heap of weed in the water and I gave up after a while.
There were a heap of these worm things swimming around in the floating seagrass, any thought of using them for bait was pretty quickly put to bed when I saw that even the gentlest of touches split them open. Anyone know what they are?

The wind conspired against me with the squid, combining with the tide it blew me out of the squiddy areas and into the channel in the time it took to retrieve just a single cast and I pretty quickly got sick of packing everything away every 5 minuted and paddling back closer to land to start again. Eventually I got one on a whiting; I thought the prong had got snagged again and just ignored it to focus on working a squid jig, but when I bought the bait in the clean the weed off it I felt something moving on the end of the line. A very gentle retrieve (because I wasn't sure how well hooked it was) saw my first squid in the yak where it proceed to redecorate. I got one more for the day on a gold yama.

Eventually I got sick of the wind, and I had some bait so I went close to Red Point, anchored up and put out some whiting baits. Only caught a couple of wrasse, a grass whiting aka bait and a leatherjacket. It was pleasing that the changes I made to the anchor made the process a lot easier, and even though I was close to the rocks I was able to get the anchor up before i came close to drifting into them.

I slowly made my way back to the launching place, stopping to drift for squid here and there, I also did a bit of bottom bashing on the drift in the main channel but only caught another couple of wrasse. Once I got past the red marker I gave up on fishing and headed back. Due to the wind I kept pretty close to land for some shelter, the water was nice and clear and it was good fun checking out the sea floor, I saw a couple of little stingrays and quite a few toadfish.

It was a great way to let off steam after exams, even if the conditions were far from ideal. The kayak handles the rough weather really well, and while I wouldn't intend to push it to it's limits it's reassuring to know that I won't be completely ****** if I get caught out in and unexpected wind change or something. I'd never caught a squid until today so it was good to get that out of the way too. I think Flinders/Shoreham might be a bit easier to fish for them though, as the current at Cleeland was a bit of a nuisance. I ate the bigger squid for dinner, the smaller one is bait for Sunday.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Cleeland Bight 16/10

Post by Scraglor » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:00 am

Awesome report mate and great fish! Thats a big squid. Well done!

Fishsniper

Post by Fishsniper » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:11 am

Well done buddy, the worm just looks like a sandworm to me but I could be wrong? :thumbsup:

seephil
Has liked: 37 times

Post by seephil » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:19 am

Well done on your first squid. Next time a tip I'd suggest is to leave it in the net in the water for a moments in case it decides to ink again. Furthermore hold its head pointing away from you.
Great report 4 litre

4liters

Post by 4liters » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:20 am

Yeah, still need to do a bit of work on my squid handling skills. The ink washed off though so I think my time would be better spent perfecting how to catch them.
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:22 am

Ahhh next time put fv&TTTAF on your Brag mat.
You would be miles ahead in biggest hood comp.

Fair squid that.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:33 am

Nice report. Looks a comfortable set up. I tend to net squid when im on the boat, just touching the net causes them to discharge their ink. Shame about the wind, looked a bit sloppy to get into the deep water.
Cast, catch and put it back

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:44 am

Good report :thumbsup: the worm looks like a sand worm.

4liters

Post by 4liters » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:52 am

bowl wrote:Ahhh next time put fv&TTTAF on your Brag mat.
You would be miles ahead in biggest hood comp.

Fair squid that.
I was thinking that. I'm keen to get to Flinders next week as soon as conditions permit so hopefully I'll get on to one of the big breeders if they're still around.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:17 am

The worms place in a container with salt and mildly diluted metho for a few days. Hardens them up enough to actually use

Return to “Phillip Island”