Philip Island advice??

passport1980

Philip Island advice??

Post by passport1980 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:30 pm

fished at Philip Island for the first time last weekend. Fished at Cleeland Bight off the shore. Started about an hour and a half after low tide.....got half dozen whiting, a nice travally, and a big run that broke our line (my friend reckons it was fighting as he reeled it in, so wouldnt be a ray)....

Anyways, any advice for this particular spot? (ie. baits, tides, species caught there) I liked fishing there....very relaxing.

biggar

Re: Philip Island advice??

Post by biggar » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:54 pm

Why do ou need advice? Looks like youve already got that place figured out
Angling is the name given to fishing by people that can't fish

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:02 pm

about the only other thing would be to chuck a baited squid spike under a float some good squidly doodles are caught off the beach down there
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

slotzz

Post by slotzz » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:49 am

I think they're asking if anyone has any tried and true tips for targetting certain species or what rigs work best.. as opposed to just rocking up & dropping a line in like passport1980 did. Always handy to know if you're going at the right time of day or how you could do better next time.

Sorry I'm no help mate, don't know P.I well but good luck for the next session you're out there :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

mikehammer

Post by mikehammer » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:07 am

passport1980 wrote:fished at Philip Island for the first time last weekend. Fished at Cleeland Bight off the shore. Started about an hour and a half after low tide.....got half dozen whiting, a nice travally, and a big run that broke our line (my friend reckons it was fighting as he reeled it in, so wouldnt be a ray)....

Anyways, any advice for this particular spot? (ie. baits, tides, species caught there) I liked fishing there....very relaxing.
I'm heading to a mate's place right there on the weekend and keen to try out the spot.

What type of rod/rig/bait were you using? Did you need to cast out very far off the beach (and were you going just off the sand)? I'd be keen to get some whiting...

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:30 pm

Welcome to the site! Can't help you with the area sorry.
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

drifter_x

Post by drifter_x » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:55 am

I'm heading out that way this weekend - I miss the calm Qld beaches I used to fish, this sounds like just what I'm after!

What bait were you using passport?

Return to “Phillip Island”