Queens Birthday - Phillip Island Sharks

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Re: Queens Birthday - Phillip Island Sharks

Post by cheaterparts » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:03 pm

smile0784 wrote:also a tip
dont mix your gummys in the same bucket as other fish cos the ammonia will make the other fish taste rank
you only get ammonia problems if you don't look after your gummies - sharks dont have ammonia in them when you catch them

you get ammonia when the urea in the flesh turns to ammonia - if you cool the fish down the urea doesn't turn to ammonia very quickly where as if you dont cool them down the process happens quicker
so put them on ice straight after bleeding and gutting - an ice slurry is best

http://www.fishintech.com/articles---cl ... e-bad.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Why some Sharks taste Bad….

Quickly - the science of why sharks are different from other bony fish when it comes to eating them….

Sharks (unlike other fish) use urea to maintain osmotic balance with seawater... Why is this bad??

Urea (NH2) 2CO is how our bodies and their bodies chemically bind nitrogenous waste so that it does not turn into ammonia (NH3) inside our bodies - which of course is very poisonous and smells really bad…

If urea is not expelled out of the body often (we urinate or pee it out of our system) the urea will break down chemically and turn to ammonia. Removing this urea before it turns to ammonia is what dialysis does for people in kidney failure.

Sharks store Urea in all their tissues to help their bodies maintain a chemical (ionic) balance with the surrounding saltwater.

We do not store urea in our tissues - it's removed from the blood quickly by the kidneys and mixed with the water from the beer we drink - then stored in the bladder - this is why beer is good for you.

If a shark is not bleed thoroughly (which removes the bulk of the blood containing urea from body) the urea will turn to ammonia - resulting in the bad taste...

The remaining urea stored in other tissues like the skin and meat will quickly turn to ammonia also - but chilling the carcass will slow the breakdown of urea - until the skin can be removed and meat further processed.

Some shark species seem to store more or less urea in their meat than other - which ones I don't know ….

However - the species that are commonly accepted as good to eat - if handled correctly - may be a good indicator...

Finally - in the best case - you are still eating the urea stored in their muscles (meat) - that with proper handling you have slowed from turning to ammonia….
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:24 pm

cheaterparts wrote:
smile0784 wrote:also a tip
dont mix your gummys in the same bucket as other fish cos the ammonia will make the other fish taste rank
you only get ammonia problems if you don't look after your gummies - sharks dont have ammonia in them when you catch them

you get ammonia when the urea in the flesh turns to ammonia - if you cool the fish down the urea doesn't turn to ammonia very quickly where as if you dont cool them down the process happens quicker
so put them on ice straight after bleeding and gutting - an ice slurry is best

http://www.fishintech.com/articles---cl ... e-bad.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Why some Sharks taste Bad….

sorry i didnt know that

Quickly - the science of why sharks are different from other bony fish when it comes to eating them….

Sharks (unlike other fish) use urea to maintain osmotic balance with seawater... Why is this bad??

Urea (NH2) 2CO is how our bodies and their bodies chemically bind nitrogenous waste so that it does not turn into ammonia (NH3) inside our bodies - which of course is very poisonous and smells really bad…

If urea is not expelled out of the body often (we urinate or pee it out of our system) the urea will break down chemically and turn to ammonia. Removing this urea before it turns to ammonia is what dialysis does for people in kidney failure.

Sharks store Urea in all their tissues to help their bodies maintain a chemical (ionic) balance with the surrounding saltwater.

We do not store urea in our tissues - it's removed from the blood quickly by the kidneys and mixed with the water from the beer we drink - then stored in the bladder - this is why beer is good for you.

If a shark is not bleed thoroughly (which removes the bulk of the blood containing urea from body) the urea will turn to ammonia - resulting in the bad taste...

The remaining urea stored in other tissues like the skin and meat will quickly turn to ammonia also - but chilling the carcass will slow the breakdown of urea - until the skin can be removed and meat further processed.

Some shark species seem to store more or less urea in their meat than other - which ones I don't know ….

However - the species that are commonly accepted as good to eat - if handled correctly - may be a good indicator...

Finally - in the best case - you are still eating the urea stored in their muscles (meat) - that with proper handling you have slowed from turning to ammonia….

tr3los

Post by tr3los » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:42 pm

great write up cheaterparts!

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:18 pm

i didnt know that

CanuckDownUnder

Post by CanuckDownUnder » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:00 pm

Thanks for the tips everyone, this is all great info. Tr3los and Aussie fisho in particular.

I got 1 small gummy which was still good fun but JUST undersized. Lots of flathead for good constant fun, girlfriend must have caught a dozen.

About 3pm got a big hit, 12 foot surf rod with 8000 reel was buckling and took almost 100m of line. Every inch I got went right back for about 20 minutes, then I started to gain some ground. Best fight I've had in a long time, felt like a million bucks. Slowly but surely got it close, then saw the big white blob - a ray! I think it was an Eastern Shovelnose, not entirely sure. As much as I wanted to catch something edible, it was amazing to fight a beast like that. I will definitely be back to Westernport, getting so many fish total plus an incredible fight with a monster like this was one of the best fishing days I've had in a while, one of those days that we all crave so dearly and remember so fondly afterwards. What it's all about!

Thanks again to everyone for the tips, I hope to put them into play again soon.
Attachments
image.jpg
"Look at where Jesus went to pick people. He didn't go to the colleges; he got guys off the fishing docks." - Jeff Foxworthy

Lost Pom

Post by Lost Pom » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:38 pm

Great work stopping that Ray! Great workout if you can be bothered! Can be an inconvenience at time but to see the big ones up close and personal is always impressive!!!

CanuckDownUnder

Post by CanuckDownUnder » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:02 pm

It was a great workout that's for sure! Well worth it though :)
"Look at where Jesus went to pick people. He didn't go to the colleges; he got guys off the fishing docks." - Jeff Foxworthy

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:06 pm

That looks like a skate. But can't tell for sure. Regardless top effort and it def. makes your day when you have drag singing specially on such a big fish
Cheers

CanuckDownUnder

Post by CanuckDownUnder » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:02 am

After some research I'm pretty confident that this is a Melbourne/Whitley's Skate. Has small geographic range and severely depleted population, glad I got it back unscathed.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:49 pm

Looks like a whitleys skate to me pity your hand is covering the translucent nose plenty in wpb not caught to many in ppb, pity you didnt get on to many gummies. Is that a hire boat out of rhyll would have been cramped with a 12ft surf rod in it

Return to “Phillip Island”